Effects Options When Recording?

What's Hot
Can someone help with this please?

I have looked into home recording and am slowly getting the gist of what I need, but still some gaps missing.

Ok, so:

Option 1.  I was going to get a Line 6 UX1 or UX2 as it comes with POD FARM and has a range of effects and Amp Models

Option 2. Mic up my Cab and record my real Amp sound into the interface as I have lots of effects on the Pedalboard.

Option 3. Go for an interface other than a Line 6, like a Focusrite, only one problem, the Focusrite only comes with limited effects on the plug-in suite, no modulation or delay, so if I go for an interface without multi effects built in, where do I get my effects that I want without using my pedalboard. This is a big missing piece of the jigsaw.

I've heard of stuff like Guitar Rig and Amplitube, but have no idea of their application. Would a plain interface require something like Guitar Rig?

In the end I want to be able to record and mix Guitar, Bass, Synth/Keys and Drums(obviously not real drums).

Thanks for any help.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I'd always go for option two really. Unless I can't get a sound any other way, I always prefer recording with the sound I want to be in the mix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

+1 to Option 2.

The emergence of software guitar FX and the Line 6 kit was mainly in response to those that did not HAVE a good guitar amp/FX setup or/and, the capability, socially, to play it.

If you have the kit and the space and the opportunity AND get the sound you want*, go for it!

You seem of an experimental bent? If so do not, I implore you, cheap out on the most basic of Audio Interfaces. The F'rite 2i2 is excellent for what it does but it is limited. The Steinberg UR22 is better IMHO but I would urge you to save a bit more for an 8i6 or, my best reccy, the Native Instruments KA6. This comes with Cubase LE6 and Kontakt Player and 3G of samples and neatly solves the drums problem!

Note too that you can split the output of the guitar and feed the AI directly on one channel then mic up the other. You then have a "clean take" that you can post process if you wish...Also read up on "Re-amping".

*Heh! Just because you have a super sounding, snorting FX and amp rig does not mean recording that sound will be easy. Considerable experiment and faffing will be required!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    edited May 2014
    Im a noob at this but this is were im at. I bought an interface Fast track for £35( from digitalscream as well as a load of advice!.) . Ive downloaded Reaper (free for 60 days im on 68, i will most likely purchase soon about £60.), I downloaded the Addictive Drums sample (Free with lots of stuff to use and an option to buy and receive the lot, im still trying to get to grips with , its early days), I also downloaded Amplitube 3 free which ive put into reaper, it comes with various cabs and stomps, I use the Delay, O/drive,Chorus, EQ,Wah, Compression off this. 
     Total spend £35.
    My set up suits me as i cant get out of the room to go missing upstairs in the music room, this way i just plug into the lap top and im away. Its more acceptable to the Mrs and the Knipper.PS I also bought a book, Home recording for beginners (uses Reaper) cost me £14 ) 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5847
    Thanks @Cirrus @ecc83 and @JAYJO, wisdoms all round. 

I think it's the sheer amount of choice that is so staggering and the endless reviews of each system could possibly have a guy sucking his thumb and drooling by the end of the night, Lol. 

This is the trouble with the internet and any piece of equipment you think of buying, every single thing you look at, someone on a forum somewhere, says "This is the biggest pile of Crap I've ever used" Aaaaaaaaargh! :-D

Plus, I'm under no illusions that recording a good sound will be easy even with great gear, even the thought of getting familiar with the equipment is enough to bring me out in a cold sweat :-)

You mentioned putting Amplitube 3(Guitar Effects and Modelling Software) into Reaper(your DAW), do all DAW's allow you to put in Amplitube 3 or similar software? Is Guitar Rig a better or worse alternative to Amplitube 3?

Thanks again.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491

Plus, I'm under no illusions that recording a good sound will be easy even with great gear, even the thought of getting familiar with the equipment is enough to bring me out in a cold sweat :-)

You mentioned putting Amplitube 3(Guitar Effects and Modelling Software) into Reaper(your DAW), do all DAW's allow you to put in Amplitube 3 or similar software? Is Guitar Rig a better or worse alternative to Amplitube 3?
    It's all part of the journey! Everything will be shit for a long time, unless you're a prodigy (not THE Prodigy). But IMO recording is great fun even when it's falling apart and the more you do it the better it gets.

Also, I know plenty of musicians who are great live to jam with but sound ropey on record due to either tone or performance. But I don't know anyone who sounds good on record who isn't also awesome live. It's good feedback to hear yourself and work on music!

As far as amplitube etc, though I've not used those programs in anger generally they work with your audio drivers so that if you've got it open and look in your DAW's input tracks, the output of the modelling program will appear as an input that can be assigned to DAW tracks. OR, if not, you run the modelling program as a plugin within the DAW.
    Cheers @Cirrus

I want to do a lot of things regarding recording, like putting stuff on here to the "Fretboard" Backing Tracks, plus I want to know how to put in a cool backing track that I find on Youtube(with the publishers permission of course) and put the track into the DAW for me to play over and post it on my own Sound cloud page etc. Plus trying to make my own music of course.

I also want to do my own Youtube "Song Tutorials" series etc. I'm ageing rapidly just thinking about it.

:-SS
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Hi I almost always use plugin such as guitar rig etc As I don't have the facility to run an amp at the kind of levels needed to get a good sound, more modern amps do have 1 watt or attenuated outputs. I have just finished recording with a friend of mine all done with his array of plugins and rapidly come to the conclusion that commercial recorded guitar sounds are about blending different amp plugins and cabinets spread across several tracks, so when you come to mixing you can blend and sculpt the guitar to sit in the mix how you want. Obviously everybody approaches this differently but to get a sound as you would hear on a commercial production this seems to give a polished result even when you are trying to do a more rough and ready tune. As for interface have used L6 and latency was not bad back in the day and used Steinberg last week. If you are short on cash L6 is a good value option of interface and plugin amp farm.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    +1 Cirrus. I took advice from members on here to just jump straight in and once everything was set up thats  what i did. I havent managed to record a single song yet but lots of ideas. Im learning to put down a drum track etc, ive learned my timing is awful etc. Its a fantastic learning kit. I am making my own backing tracks. Its made me slow down and listen a lot more to what im playing!.There is a lesson on youtube for putting backing tracks into reaper!.   
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    I use Reaper and a Tascam us-122 audio interface. For guitar recording miking my amp is not practical, so I've used amp sims - Guitar Rig, Amplitude, and a few free VST plugins (some good, some not so), and the sims in my Zoom G3 (again some of which are pretty good). I'm currently using a Joyo American Sound pedal which I think does a great job for the price (I got mine for £20). This plus the G3 as an occasional alternative is all I need.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    Thanks again guys.

Hi I almost always use plugin such as guitar rig etc As I don't have the facility to run an amp at the kind of levels needed to get a good sound, more modern amps do have 1 watt or attenuated outputs.  
    Does this mean you don't have a loud enough amp or you that you have a loud amp but can't crank it up? Do you advise against recording a miced up amp at bedroom levels?
    ewal said:
    I use Reaper and a Tascam us-122 audio interface. For guitar recording miking my amp is not practical, so I've used amp sims - Guitar Rig, Amplitude, and a few free VST plugins (some good, some not so), and the sims in my Zoom G3 (again some of which are pretty good). I'm currently using a Joyo American Sound pedal which I think does a great job for the price (I got mine for £20). This plus the G3 as an occasional alternative is all I need.
    @ewal how do you use the Zoom G3, do you plug guitar into that, then output into the Tascam?

Thank you.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    Miking an amp at bedroom levels is never likely to get good results. For low level recording you need to take one of three routes:
    a) Plug your guitar straight into your audio interface and add amp sims in your DAW via a plug-in (e.g. Amplitube)
    b) Use a modeller between your guitar and the audio interface (e.g. Pod, G3, Axe FX)
    c) Use your existing amp with a load box/IR loader (cab sim). This could be just a load box and a plug-in IR loader in your DAW or an all in one like the Two Notes Torpedo Live.

Option a) is probably the cheapest as you should be able to find free amp sim vst plug-ins that will do an OK job. Option c) will be the most expensive as something like the Torpedo will set you back almost £800! If you really want hardware between your guitar and the PC but need a really cheap option, there are a few pedals, such as the Digitech Bad Monkey that have a cab sim output.
    Thanks @drwiddly

That's very helpful. Looks like micing the amp isn't the way to go for me then. Option A and B sound ok though.

:)
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582

ewal said:
    @ewal how do you use the Zoom G3, do you plug guitar into that, then output into the Tascam?

Thank you.
    Yes output of the G3 in to the Tascam (via the American Sound). If I didn't have the Tascam, I could just use the G3 as USB audio interface, but I've not tried that because I've no need to.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 745
    Have you considered getting a second hand 11r with Pro tools? Lots of good quality effects and amps (which sound quite decent in a mix) and the software is easy to use.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @Bellycaster - personally I'd go with option one unless you have access to pro level studio or you live in a very large detached house. The Line 6 UX interfaces are rock solid and ideal for guitar. I have an old GuitarPort interface [older version] which is excellent. I can record multiple tracks such as a guitar + effects and a dry clean guitar at the same which I can reamp later the the POD Farm software is excellent. It's the most cost-effective option. The POD Farm software can also be used as a plugin so you can record a dry guitar and add effects and amps later if you like.

You could go and buy a Line 6 POD [ or equivalent unit from another manufacturer]. If you opt for a floorboard then you get an expression pedal, looper, tuner and foot switches. You can pick these up for not a lot or money on eBay and they have a USB interface so you can use them as a soundcard .. loads of amps and effects plus you could use one in front of your amp.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    @Fretwired and @fnpt

Cheers lads. I am theeeeeeee #1 procrastinator on this forum, but all this advice is great and is available for me to refer back to. I will eventually get up and running with something, maybe around 2020.

:D