Bell Like Tone??

What's Hot
callmesnakecallmesnake Frets: 11
Hey guys! Anyone know the answer to this?...

Was recording with my trusty '52 Tele the other night, then on playback we could this bell/harmonic like sound coming out. After having a play with the guitar, everytime I'd play then stop the strings this ring/echo sound would appear..Even unplugged. Has this happened to you? Is it common? Is this the bridge causing this? It's an ashtray style one.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited May 2014
    Are you sure it's not the string length between the nut and the machine heads? This is easily checked by damping them with your index finger. The G often seems particularly lively on vintage style Fenders. Guitars with a string tree on the middle two strings don't do it.
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    My 52 tele does this. It's the strings ringing behind the nut as Richard mentions. I think the cut of the nut and the break angle of the strings are big factors in this. I had an Axis Super Sport that used to do this as well. A girly hairband works to cure it.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    The Parker Fly has a long string run north of the nut, particularly on the treble side. I use a hair bobble to stop it ringing. It's also convenient if I need to deaden the open strings when tapping
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • callmesnakecallmesnake Frets: 11
    Solved! Ta muchly folks - for some reason I never thought to listen at the headstock!