Idea : The Fretboard indoor carboot sale

What's Hot
meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
edited May 2014 in Guitar
Is it worth hiring a hall and all meeting up somewhere?
It could be a good opportunity for everyone to have a meetup, a jam and maybe sell some gear etc

It seems in principal like a good idea. Maybe its something that could be done 3 or months or something. 

What do you all think?

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Brilliant idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    I'd be in. I'm in west yorks so everywhere is convenient from here. Would be nice to meet everyone.

Kelvin
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    Oh - that sounds like a blinding idea. Dangerous, expensive and possibly marriage threatening, but a blinding idea. :-)

Count me in.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Very good idea.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    ok lets see what sort of numbers we can generate and see which location works the best for the most people etc. 

Maybe it can go on tour? Who knows. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    good idea :)

The FBCarBootGASJamfest ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    i have an image of a trestle table covered in boutique overdrives and i want to make it a reality!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, I could be pretty interested in this :D

I would love to see some of the folks in the Made in UK section in person and talk about their wares. Like a FB gasfest.

But less farty sounding.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9986
    tFB Trader
    I have loads of odds and ends I could well do shifting from the workshop ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    I think Jooky may need to hire a van. ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    hitch-hiking would be my form of transport unless it is in london ;) 
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
    edited May 2014
    I did a couple of these a few years ago in Exeter.

There was used and vintage stuff for sale.

First one was great and second one wasn't so great.

Loads of pics somewhere I can dig out.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7145
    I was also thinking the other day; there must be a few people on here with nice endorsement deals that could be, not exploited, but "made communal use of".
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    DannyP;241640" said:
    i have an image of a trestle table covered in boutique overdrives and i want to make it a reality!
    Sounds great. People like me with little to sell would lower the tone though. I'd be lucky to muster a Joyo or two laid out on a rug on the floor...
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Make everyone wear username-tags.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Branshen said:
    Make everyone wear username-tags.

I was thinking that too !

Just as an addition to the main idea, why not target an existing car boot sale which are usually in an easy to find location. That way it's as easy as contacting the organisers to 'Buy' a pitch if you want to sell, if you're there to buy, just go to the car boot sale and look for us lot and that way the sellers can sell all kinds of stuff including Guitars and Gear and the buyers also have the rest of the car boot sale to mooch around and spend too much money at.

If we pick the right one, there could easily be somewhere to all go for a drink afterwards, maybe a meal (Beefeater or Harvester etc).

The only thing this doesn't allow is a jam session, unless we find one of those close by and descend on it ?

Hope these idea's help the plan. It's a bloody great idea.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    impmann said:
    I think Jooky may need to hire a van. ;-)
    We could simplify things and have it in my back garden...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    ask the car boot sale organisers if they want a live band in a tent, tell them all they have to supply is the place to put it
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself