A worthy upgrade from an F310?

What's Hot
sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
I've been playing guitar for about 4 years, and in that time I've owned and loved my Yamaha F310, which in its properly set-up, mildly upgraded with bone nut and saddle format is at least as good as the cheap Fender acoustics I've tried, but obviously it's a budget instrument (laminates etc), and I would like something proper.  I've thought about getting something for circa £300, but I question just how much "better" they are than my Yam and really I want something that will be a "Guitar For Life" type purchase, although I'm not rich enough to just drop £2k on a Martin, so I'm looking for suggestions of worthy guitars.  Where is the starting point if you were to do that sort of thing?
So - a major upgrade from the F310
     - Guitar For Life
     - Not bank-breaking (honestly £1k would be the upper limit)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GruGru Frets: 339
    edited May 2014
    Faith Guitars certainly get some great reviews. The naked series (all solid timber) start at £350 new (including a setup if you buy from rguitars). A little more and you get into there other gloss, natural and mercury ranges (all but the naked range include hardcase, essential in my opinion if you want it as a keeper for life)

Good options of body styles and sizes. Upto £800 for top of range/finish.

I have heard that they all go though Patrick Eggles workshop for quality/setup check before being sent to shops, but I don't know how true this is? Anyone verify?

I have only played a standard one out of the box, but not one setup by a shop, so I don't know how much of a difference it would make.

Very nice guitars.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I just want to say that an F310 IS a guitar for life. It was my first acoustic, and I basically learnt to play on it. After I dropped in an LR baggs pickup and I did gigs with it. It has been just about everywhere! I have no qualms taking it anywhere, which is why it was my most used guitar (before I played electric).

I play mainly electric now but have been considering an upgrade for my acoustic. And when I do, I would probably get a proper one with no cutaway, no electrics and solid woods. It would be a guitar for recording. For live usage, nothing beats my pimped out F310 (with my limited budget).

Think about what you want to achieve from your upgrade. Is it a sound upgrade? Is it a guitar for live usage? Would it serve a different purpose from your f310, or is it a replacement? 
    If it's a sound upgrade, while 300 would get you a guitar with a solid top (and maybe even full solid), it wouldn't be that much of a leap ahead from the laminate yamaha, in my humble opinion cause that ol' beater sounds great. If it's to get an guitar with electronics, then it's a decent investment. I doubt that this would be your guitar for life in the sense that it will be your ultimate acoustic guitar, so just consider it an upgrade.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'd check out some of the tanglewood stuff. I like their full solid (could solid top only) line and I believe it's within your budget.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    Taylor. Full stop, imho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    Thankyou, just the sort of advice I'm after. I've seen all sorts of brands with wide ranging prices and reviews, but I don't have much idea to be honest.  Thankyou Branshen for the comments, particularly for validating my belief that the F310 is a decent guitar, if I didn't like it as much as I do, this would be quite easy, because anything from £250 upwards would be perfectly acceptable. 

It's only for home use, the joy of playing and owning something nice sounding, nice looking and nicely put together, no electronics needed either.  The F310 does sound nice and plays nicely, so the reason I made this thread is because I don't feel like it would be worth investing £300 in a random hard-top guitar, and I'm looking for a starting point at where it really is worth it, I suppose.  Obviously I intend to try a few, but it doesn't hurt to ask for opinions from people what are clever, like.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited May 2014
    Larrivee seem to have a good reputation and are towards the top of your budget, may be worth a look.  There has been a discussion on them recently on here.

Frailers may be near you (Runcorn) and have a good stock, are knowledgable and with a good reputation again.
    www.frailers.com/

Best bet is to go and try lots of guitars over a period of time, and see what you gravitate towards, don't make any hasty decisions.

Second hand is a great way to get a played in instrument and save cash at the same time, whether that is privately or through a shop like Frailers.

This old discussion may well be of interest too:   Best under the radar brand?

• matonematone Frets: 211
    Have a look at the LL-6 in the classifieds,think that`s the sort of thing you`re after !The LL series are usually great guitars.
    Nowt to do with me mind.
    Ll series are my definition of guitars for life. Incredible guitars and very underrated. Definitely check that out!
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
    I've been tremendously impressed with the Larrivee guitars I've played around the £750 mark. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    sinbaadi said:
    I've been playing guitar for about 4 years, and in that time I've owned and loved my Yamaha F310, which in its properly set-up, mildly upgraded with bone nut and saddle format is at least as good as the cheap Fender acoustics I've tried, but obviously it's a budget instrument (laminates etc), and I would like something proper.  I've thought about getting something for circa £300, but I question just how much "better" they are than my Yam and really I want something that will be a "Guitar For Life" type purchase, although I'm not rich enough to just drop £2k on a Martin, so I'm looking for suggestions of worthy guitars.  Where is the starting point if you were to do that sort of thing?
    So - a major upgrade from the F310
         - Guitar For Life
         - Not bank-breaking (honestly £1k would be the upper limit)
    Don't laugh .. a Yamaha.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=14031914173132#main-product-overview

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=11011413434332

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=14031914191032

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I used to have an LL16, wish I had never sold it to be honest - it was great.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I'm no acoustic buff but I really bloody love my Taylor Big Baby. 

Birthday present from my then future good lady wife about 9 years ago for £349. Still a great guitar and worth way more to me.