Vocal FX

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
in FX tFB Trader
Anyone using vocal FX?

I'm possibly going to have to go back to doing backing vocals which I haven't done in a band for 18 months and I'm a bit nervous.

Having looked at the TC site it looks like TC Helicon stuff has come on leaps and bounds the Mic Mechanic and Harmony Singer look amazing and really aren't that expensive. I could quite happily have one on my pedalboard.

De-Ess, Compressor, EQ, Gate, Reverb, Delay and either Harmony or Pitch Correction for £120 is pretty awesome. 

Anyone using them, or an alternative?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
    Here is a vid:

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Bit confused here.

Why do you want to use this? To correct your pitch?

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited May 2014 tFB Trader
    Not primarily. 

Mostly to make up for the fact that I have a slightly crap voice so I'd be more interested in being able to have some nice compression, EQ, De-ESS and verb on my voice as the PA in most rehearsal places and gigs is a bit shit and doesn't have those features. 

A bit of pitch correction would be a bonus, but it isn't why I started looking at the pedals.
    Have you ever considered lessons?

You could have a brilliant voice that needs a little coaxing
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I don't sing too badly when I'm doing it regularly. I just haven't done it for a while and I'd at least like to give my singing the best platform.

I would like singing lessons, but it's hard to find the time and money.
    If you have the technique side of things down I would say put some time in and brush up.

£130 on lessons could take you further than the pedal.

The plus side with singing is you can do it anywhere almost at any time.
    The drive to and from work usually provides the best times (for me anyway). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I consider it two separate things.

A pedal will make no difference if I can't sing but regardless of how well I sing eq, compression and reverb are a good thing
    it does autotune though right?

You want to buy it dont you? ;-)

I would say for live backing you dont need it but if you want to indulge go for it bud.

Im just trying to look at this from a similar angle for guitar playing. If I came to you to say I have found a pedal that masks me being a bit of a shit guitarist I would guess you would tell me to practice more and that ultimately the pedal would be my downfall?

I am making an assumption so I appreciate I could be massively wrong here.
    tFB Trader
    As I said pitch correction is not why I'm considering buying it.

Presumably you don't consider reverb and compression on vocals or guitar cheating?
    Sorry I might have just misunderstood your angle

I guess with reverb and compression it depends. If a solo is drowned out with reverb to mush all the notes so you cant hear the mistakes as badly then yes I consider it cheating (and I have seen it done) 

Compression not so much of a cheat, I see it as more of an enhancer for guitar.
    I guess it would boost a weak voice though when it is extended beyond its natural range or lacking support.

Do you have your own PA? If so does it not have reverb, eq and compression? I appreciate you cant adjust that mid song etc

• RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    edited May 2014
    We use a Helicon for our female singer, although I can't remember which model. It does pitch correction by mixing the dry and corrected signal, which sounds chorused, and helps the singer correct herself. What we find really useful is the feedback destroyer. During the sound check it hunts for up to nine frequencies, and kills them with narrow band notches. Tonight we played in a very bright room, and it used all nine of its frequencies. I'd buy it just for that, particularly if your voice is not very strong, and prone to feedback because of low signal to noise ratio.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    I've got a harmony singer - does NOT do pitch correction.

The Tone button switches on the EQ, compression, de-Esser etc and it's brilliant. It's like having someone on the desk that knows what they are doing!

Ignoring the harmony bit, it basically removes all the faff in getting a good vocal sound.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    I've got a harmony singer - does NOT do pitch correction.

The Tone button switches on the EQ, compression, de-Esser etc and it's brilliant. It's like having someone on the desk that knows what they are doing!

Ignoring the harmony bit, it basically removes all the faff in getting a good vocal sound.

+1 for this - great pedal for all that @fretmeister said!
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited May 2014
    Main vocalist just needs delay (better than verb imo). And EQ and low cut filter is better than compression. Backing vocalists just need a bit of compression, no delay. Maybe a teeny bit of reverb to lush it up. That way the dynamics of the song will come through; the lead singer will always be out in front of the mix, and you won't get washed with multiple delays.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    My dad uses a Boss VE-20, mainly for harmonies and some reverb. Works a treat...
    <space for hire>
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Looking for something to read on the loo read a very positive review of the Digitech Vocalist as a do it all vocal multi fx.

In my old band the singer had a couple of fx at the board and rigged up an on/ off footswitch. Primarily a big dub style delay which was fun for shouting intros and stuff.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited May 2014
    Our singer in the function band has used one of the old Digitech harmoniser units for ages and utilises it for some reverb and basic 3rds and unison octave harmonies - he selects the keys and punches it in and out on the fly. They work well if you mix them in well with the direct signal and those new Helicon ones look really good. I'd prefer to add compression to a vocal.
    What I liked about the unit was that with an in tune vocal - courtesy of our good singer - his harmony, seemingly helped improve the remainder of our real backing vocals as we had something solid to pitch against. I'm not a fan of those units that follow your guitar chords though.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Our singer just bought a voice live 2. On paper it looks great but I've not heard it yet. He's been messing around with it at home and he seems really happy with it. As an originals band we would rather retain some control over things, plus the effects on the desk at rehearsal are neither footswitchable nor any good!
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    My dad uses a Boss VE-20, mainly for harmonies and some reverb. Works a treat...
    +1 for the Boss Ve-20. It's got a range of effects (comp, delay, reverb) and it can do subtle or not so subtle pitch correcttion if you want it. It also does some great harmonies and you can just switch them in and out. It's in a BOSS stompbox format which makes guitarists feel immediately at home.

tFB Trader
    Cheers for the input chaps. 

When I last looked into it a few years ago it seemed like you could just get the very simple one shot pedals that would just do reverb or compression for about £100 or you could get the big processors for £300+ that required some programming. 

The exciting thing is that the Mic Mechanic seems to be all the things you want without the cost or the associated complexity. 

To clarify my needs. I'm going to be using a very basic PA for live and at rehearsal which will have limited EQ and no comp/verb and I'm probably not going to have a soundman or easy access to the desk. In the last band I did BVox in I benefitted from a slightly over the top setup which had a dedicated rack with comps and verbs in etc and they just make the best of what you've got so I'd like to have the same, but in a format I can stick on my pedalboard.