to mod or not to mod?

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751
As mentioned in numerous posts, I made both my current basses, and have a couple more in the pipeline, if I ever finish them.

The new ones are both slightly different in shape to the first two, and I'm considering modding my main gigging bass to match one of the tweaks to the shape.

here are two nearly identical pictures, which show the difference.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I quite like that, prefer the lower horn on the first one
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    Much prefer the second one - the first one looks like a longer horn that's been cut off. It reminds me of some 80s (I think) bass I can't quite remember...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    The top one, once highlighted to focus on, just doesn't look right to me.  The second looks lovely.  Tis a beautiful bass.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751
    I think the second one flows better (and there's a little more access to the top frets, which I do get to now and again ;) ) which is why I'm thinking of making the change.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Paul_C said:
    (and there's a little more access to the top frets, which I do get to now and again ;) ) which is why I'm thinking of making the change.
    Have the nosebleeds stopped though?  :D
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751
    when I had a Musicman Bongo (24 frets) I recall bending the top G up to an A (I use very light strings 30 -90), so that end of the neck holds no fears for me :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    edited May 2014
    Paul_C said:
    Musicman Bongo
    Ah, that's what it reminds me of! Not 80s…

Ugly thing, yours is much nicer… especially with the shortened horn.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom