what amp do you play through at home?

What's Hot

Comments

• Max_b3Max_b3 Frets: 5
    Zoom G5 into a Carlsbro Keyboard head (150w SS) into a Palmer 2x12 with G12-75's. Covers all the bases and is totally controlable volume wise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    VT20+

Bit complicated for my liking as I struggled to get a good normal clean tone out of it for a while.

When I next upgrade I'm going to get a 'normal' amp.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I live in an end terrace so some consideration is due, but I don't want to bugger my ears anymore anyway. That said I do use all of my amps at home from time to time so:

Marshall 50w plexi into JBL 2x12 cab (when I feel like getting it all out and setting it up - pedal board optional).
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (still a faff but less so than the JBLs - again pedal board optional).
    Marshall AVT 20 combo (this is the main at home setup because its practical and always there ready to collect dust or plug in a guitar).
  • flatoutflatout Frets: 16
    I've had my Roland Microcube for over ten years, and I still think it's the perfect home amp. Once in a while the big ones come out at home, but I don't need headroom if I'm learning a new tune or practicing on the couch. S'good for busking too!
  • Ianb62Ianb62 Frets: 22
    Recently moved to Qatar - and sold off all my stuff - I bought a Roland Cube Lite - its fits in a suitcase, and I can run  my ipad through  it as well as guitar
    The guitar sound is good, (not brilliant but good) - now that I'm out here I'm looking for something with glowing bottles.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

although the fx-units have changed over the years, I've used the same practice setup since the late 90's

guitar-> fx-unit [Axe-FX right now] -> mixer

Mac -> AI -> mixer

mixer to studio monitors and headphones

when I'm practicing technique / goofing around / teaching / mixing down I use the monitors

when I'm practicing 'in anger' for gigs / recording etc I switch to cans so I can get the volume and energy up.. my lil' man cave has coloured lighting etc.. so when I'm going for it I can get a nice 'live' / moody vibe..

no one in my street will know anything about the Hammersmith Odean action going on in my lil' cave..

play every note as if it were your first
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited May 2014

I only play my guitars at home and used to have a Peavey Classic 20 that I bought new in the early 1990s which was a cracking little amp.

Then a few years ago, for some reason I got the hankering for a Vox AC30. There was a fellow close to me looking to downsize from an AC30 so I swapped my Classic 20 plus a bit of cash for his nearly new Vox AC30 CC1.

I was a happy chappy. I soon realised the AC30 was far too loud to play in the house but used it for a few years at low volume. I knew I wasn't getting the most out of the amp and so looked at getting something smaller.

I played the guitars through the computer for a while, but it's not quite the same as playing through an amp.

Eventually I decided on a Vox AC4TV combo and to be honest it's not a bad little amp, though rather 'boxy' sounding. It sounds great with the Rickenbackers but the Fenders were let down a bit. So I looked at Fender amps and decided on a Sonic Blue Super Champ X2 which I think is fantastic. It brings the Fenders and the SG alive, though it doesn't bring out the best in the Rickies.

So... I use one of two amps depending on which guitar I'm playing and...

I've got a hardly used Vox AC30 CC1 going spare!

We are all Chameleons...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Don't sell the big Vox. Ignore that you think you're "not getting the most out of it" at low volume - if it still sounds good, and especially if it sounds better than other lower-powered amps - then it's still the best choice.

That's why I use a 100W amp at home. It just doesn't matter that I never play it any louder than a 10W amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    ICBM;246550" said:
    Don't sell the big Vox. Ignore that you think you're "not getting the most out of it" at low volume - if it still sounds good, and especially if it sounds better than other lower-powered amps - then it's still the best choice.

That's why I use a 100W amp at home. It just doesn't matter that I never play it any louder than a 10W amp.
    This is wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404

I don't have an amp at home, i just noodle around on an unplugged electric. In the workshop though there's generally amps that have been fixed but not collected which I play through to make sure they are ok. Current ones are Vox VT50 and Ampeg Jet 20
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    H&K GrandMeister 36 on 1 watt mode.

Unless the neighbours annoy me, then it's higher wattage.

Unless they really annoy me, then I face the cab at the wall and use the 350 Marshall Mode Four instead...

(I don't really, but they do annoy me)

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Unless they really annoy me, then I face the cab at the wall and use the 350 Marshall Mode Four instead...

(I don't really, but they do annoy me)
    Heh. I once had some annoying student neighbours who liked to come in drunk at about 4 in the morning and put on techno… tried banging on the walls but they would just turn it up.

So I cured them of this by setting up the band's 400W PA subs, jammed them between the back of the sofa and the wall of their flat, and - starting at 7am one morning when they'd come in at the usual time and finally turned off the music about 5.30 - gave them Beethoven's 7th Symphony at full Albert Hall volume :). *They* started banging on the walls… so I turned it up :D.

Never had a peep out of them again, and they moved out a couple of months later.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Poetic, just so poetic

I really need to be able to click on then all =  LOL + Wow + Wisdom  = perfect poetry in motion  :D

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    I rotate through these as my fancy takes me. Currently the JCM800 (top one) is the amp-de-jour.

• paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    edited May 2014
    At home I either practice through a GX3 with a pair of headphones or use this little chappie. The Valve Bimbo. Class A 5W - 1/20W, 1 x JJ Tesla E34L, 1 x ECC83, 1 x 12AX7B, gain, tone, volume, 1 x G12-75 Celestion.  My little mini plexi :)

• No amp, Just Amplitube and other plugins through a set of near field monitors. 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    I don't tend to play out loud at home, I either use my Kemper with KRK headphones or if it's packed away and I'm feeling lazy, I'll use my Focusrite 2i2 (always plugged into the Mac) and GarageBand for a ropey amp sim.
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Blackstar ID30,I use the emulated out for recording into a Logic via a Focusrite Pro14 interface.
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431

Good thread that...I will be needing a compact bedroom amp at some point, something cheap so I can practice upstairs while the world cup is on (the girls are the majority and have opted for watching their stuff on the main TV).

So far I was looking at used Yamaha THR10,Trademark 10, Champion XD...   

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    paulk said:
    At home I either practice through a GX3 with a pair of headphones or use this little chappie. The Valve Bimbo. Class A 5W - 1/20W, 1 x JJ Tesla E34L, 1 x ECC83, 1 x 12AX7B, gain, tone, volume, 1 x G12-75 Celestion.  My little mini plexi :)

I love that amp....damn, another low watter for the list