Classical guitars without classical necks?

What's Hot

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Google Nylon Jazz and Flamenco. Both are easier to play than classicals and have thinner necks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    I should point out that while I'd prefer a narrower nut width than 50-52mm, I'm more than happy to stick with chunky nut depths! 

The main part that puts me off is the usual flat spot on the back of a D profile (which I believe helps with "proper" classical hand positioning). I'd be very happy to find a baseball bat type neck on one, or even better a chunky hard V profile. :)

recarve?
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    OK ~ this maybe a major dumb-ass question**, but is there any reason not to string a normal acoustic with nylons ?

I have never had or played a classical guitar, so forgive the naivety here, but I like the idea of the change on sonic palette too.
    (or just click the lol below if it is a ** )

• WezVWezV Frets: 16668

it can work, but volume and tone will be compromised by the heavier bracing needed for steels strings.  

You also need a good way to achor classical strings with steel string pins, and tuning will be a bit long winded

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Thanks WezV,  I thought it seemed too easy, makes sense though.
    Maybe worth a tryout just to see, nice little project maybe?

• tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Agree with Mags  Allhambra or Admira do a flamenco about £450 easyish to play and good value for dosh 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72309
    OK ~ this maybe a major dumb-ass question**, but is there any reason not to string a normal acoustic with nylons ?
    Nylon strings don't have the tension or the mass to make a heavily-braced steel-string guitar top vibrate properly.

I will work if it's an electro-acoustic and you're only interested in the amplified sound though. And yes, you have to pull the strings very tight onto the tuning pegs before you tie them to ensure you can get enough windings to bring them up to tension - classical machineheads have much more room.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4133
    edited May 2014
    WezV said:
    I should point out that while I'd prefer a narrower nut width than 50-52mm, I'm more than happy to stick with chunky nut depths! 

The main part that puts me off is the usual flat spot on the back of a D profile (which I believe helps with "proper" classical hand positioning). I'd be very happy to find a baseball bat type neck on one, or even better a chunky hard V profile. :)

recarve?
    It had crossed my mind, it's hardly a difficult thing to do but I'd potentially like to keep some resale value if I end up not getting on well with it.

Tbh, this is hardly a priority purchase. More of a vague interest really, so I'm aiming to use the KISS principle if I go ahead with it. ;)

*edit* Iirc one of my uncles has an old Yamaha classical that is sat in his attic. I might see if he could loan it to me for a while to see how I get on with a proper one for any length of time.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7780
    LAG used to do a nice nylon acoustic with a neck similar to a steel string.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Woop, borrowing my uncles one now. Just need to get it from Carterton to Plymouth lol! It'll need some new strings, but should be okay apart from that. I'll post some pics etc once I've got it in hand, cheers all. :)
    The strings need a lot of stretching before they get close to stable BTW.
    Thought as much, I can't remember if I've ever restrung a classical before so it could be an interesting experience! :D
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    guitargeek62;247824" said:
    Thought as much, I can't remember if I've ever restrung a classical before so it could be an interesting experience! :D
    It is.

Restringing a guitar with a Bigsby's a piece of p155 by comparison.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Martin have got a 000C model which has a 48mm nut and a longer string scale. I've not played one but I imagine it has a neck feel similar to their standard series. Laura Marling plays one and she has tiny hands.

• WezV said:

it can work, but volume and tone will be compromised by the heavier bracing needed for steels strings.  

You also need a good way to achor classical strings with steel string pins, and tuning will be a bit long winded

Didn't realise till the other day D'Addario do a ball-ended nylon string set with 80/20 bronze wound thicker strings. Very tempted to try stringing an acoustic up with some.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72309
    Just to resurrect this, if anyone's still looking...

I'm currently borrowing an Alhambra S1C from the shop with a view to buying it. It's a 'Senorita' model - designed for women with smaller hands. (A bit sexist I know! A good friend of mine is a proper classical guitarist, and she doesn't seem to have any trouble with a normal-size one...)

It's '7/8' size, which seems to be rather uncommon. 25" scale, slightly shallower than normal neck - although still 2" nut width - 18.5" x 14" x 4" body. Solid top and ply back and sides.

It's very nice, and doesn't seem to sound any worse than an equivalent full-size model. I'm highly tempted...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yamaha do a range of Jazz Nylons with thinner necks, 14th fret neck joins ect.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Have you looked at the new Yamaha range?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

The NTX700 might do the job, bit pricey though considering it's not all-solid?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485

I've done it a few times, it's not fun. In fact, few years back I got my classical out of it's case 1st time since moving and I noticed one of the strings had kind of delaminated and come apart. 3 years on and it's still like it, I do not enjoy restring classical.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.