High gain pedal surprise

ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
edited May 2014 in FX
Okay, title is a bit misleading but bear with me.

My basic tone is a fairly crunchy sound with a tubescreamer to add bite and tighten it up.

Today, though, I accidentally switched on the compressor side of the route 66 as well as the ts.

Holy cow, it sounds amazing! Bit noisy, because of sheer gain levels along with comp, but with the brightness up a bit on the comp, you get a super attack on every note and it just jumps right out at you.

Any one else use a compressor along with a high gain rhythm tone for thrash stuff?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    What is this thrash you speak of? :-P

I only run a comp with hi gain (Marshall Jackhammer) for solos really.

Whats your "high gain" pedal?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Moved into right section!

I use a Duncan power grid, though that doesn't like it much, this is straight into drive channel.

It sounds really great, I'd never tried it before. It doesn't squish or anything, but it's essentially adding a touch of boost before tubescreamer and the tone control is making it brighter, but you only really hear it on the pick attack.

Really cool sound.
  • shadyshady Frets: 252

Not into thrash much, but I have used Ed the Comp into my Power Grid for super-saturated-mega-delayed-hi-gain-fuckaboutary, god knows why though as it ain't exactly shy.  Before I got my mental silicon fuzz, I would kick compression into my germanium muff in an attempt to get a 'near death' fuzz, although with the gain not so stupidly set you can get some really useful widdly-woo-wah stuff.  Like you said, notes do jump right out and with loads of added harmonic content.

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i always have my comp on…i use an analogman bi-comp on one board and a DOD milk box on the other…and i use BAT Quantum Mystic, Pharaoh Fuzz and also a HM2…with gain on all these pedals pretty much maxed out.

To be honest, once i started using comp pedals i immediately "got it" and now i could not imagine ever switching off my comp pedal.

I don't play much thrash these days, I play mainly doom metal. But a bit of thrash always creeps into my riffs
  • samzadgan;243974" said:
    i always have my comp on…i use an analogman bi-comp on one board and a DOD milk box on the other…and i use BAT Quantum Mystic, Pharaoh Fuzz and also a HM2…with gain on all these pedals pretty much maxed out.

To be honest, once i started using comp pedals i immediately "got it" and now i could not imagine ever switching off my comp pedal.

I don't play much thrash these days, I play mainly doom metal. But a bit of thrash always creeps into my riffs
    I'm wondering if this is where I'm heading.

I like the sound with and without, and can use both, but if I had a noise gate, comp on = stop start heaven.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Well, i dont use noise gate, i have one, but the buffer is the best part of it. I dont have much stop/start in my music but i have a lot of distorted chords fading out into accoustic parts...and comp is great in those situations too, squeezing that last bit of sound out before i switch fr dirty to clean.

Btw...the more i chat to you about effect etc the more i want to hear some of your music...you got a band or any thing online?
  • Lol if only. I have a sound cloud but it's full of random crap that sounds amateur at best.

I'm on the lookout for like minded folks though. And hopefully at uni next year, so plenty of time to find friends!