Is it me??

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
edited May 2014 in Theory
I have been teaching contemporary guitar for a few years now but blimey I get some well dodgy geezers come along...

The latest scenario:

Girl in her 30s rings up: 

* I Would like to learn guitar and come for a lesson but I have no guitar. 
OK no probs - I can lend you one or two in the lesson and let you see what type feels best.

* I Studied Piano at University but fell off my motorbike and cannot now see all the keys.
...OK... well the guitar is more intimate and you 'feel' as much as look when playing...

*Can you send a map so that I can drive past where you are with my husband and 4 yr old so I know where you are before we make a booking...?
OK... but you are only 12 minutes away...
*But I get lost easily...

* OK - I know where you are now... when I come - can you park my car for me?
Sure... what do you drive..?  
*2006 Toyota Celica T230

So, comes to lesson 
*Oh - I used to work at Andertons before my bike accident...

BUT - She has absolutely NO rhythm whatsoever... double jointed squishy fingers. God knows what type of piano she studied...!

AND AND AND -  pulls my Gibson 335 to the ground when putting on her coat on to leave!!! (Heart attack ensued!)

Anyway - Punch Line - I  mail her all sorts of links to help her decide on a guitar/setup and she goes shopping...

Get an email after she has been to shops -  * I have decided the guitar isn't for me and am going to take up the drums instead!

WTF!!!
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Sounds like the best outcome for you though, doesn't look like you would want her back!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    And why is this website primarily consumed of guys again????
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    How can a girl be in her 30s?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Or a dodgy geezer? 
    I must say I am a bit shocked all told....

.... I didn't know they were still making Toyota Celicas in 2006.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    For every student who turns out to be worthwhile there are at least another 9 who are a waste of time. You can almost tell which is which within 5 seconds of them having called you on the telephone.

You have to humour the 90% so as to appear to the 10% that you are actually doing some business besides them, otherwise they might conclude they ought to be spending their money with someone more popular.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    ... sounds like self fulfilling prophecy.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Hope the 335 is okay. My thoughts are with you..
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited May 2014
    @Branshen - Thanks - seems so! But do you know how hard it is to be diplomatic when your £2000+ baby has just gone CLONG! on the floor!! image

Luckily is carpeted where it went down and onto front face so strings cusshioned proceedings... Gave it a good playing the next day and actually - it sounded better than previously!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    57Deluxe said:
    @Branshen - Thanks - seems so! But do you know how hard it is to be diplomatic when your £2000+ baby has just gone CLONG! on the floor!! image

Luckily is carpeted where it went down and onto front face so strings cusshioned proceedings... Gave it a good playing the next day and actually - it sounded better than previously!

Relic Mojo, you cannot buy that shit.

Watch she may bill you for the relic job.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I only had my cheapo guitars at my teaching studio for this reason.  I had a couple of students who, for various reasons, couldn't get to the lesson AND pick up their guitar in time(it happens), so I had guitars I wasn't worried about for them.  Over the years I had a lot of students I really enjoyed teaching, not always the ones that excelled, but just wanted an outlet from an otherwise hectic life.  One of the most rewarding experiences I had was a student with downs syndrome whose parents contacted me.  I taught this young fellow to play most of the major chords and to strum a straight ahead pattern and we spent the lessons playing old easy stand by songs and just having a good time. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    /\ 
    I know what you mean. In this case I wasn't allowing her to use the 335! She thought she wanted a semi acoustic guitar and I was showing her that although this style is a 'semi acoustic' its design does not project any meaningful sound unplugged. I had put it to one side after, out of the way! THAT is why it was SOOOO annoying

I did indeed give her  lesser instruments to play with... Mainly the one of got for free off Freecycle!

It still pains me to relive this moment even though it seems to be OK...!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:

Relic Mojo, you cannot buy that shit.

Watch she may bill you for the relic job.

doesn't matter if she does - you can't buy that shit. :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.