Found my birthyear guitar......

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    That's a beautiful guitar! But ... $300 shipping, and, ooh, about $1500 for import taxes? Ouch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    yep, it's the shipping and taxes that are putting me off, plus the fact that I can't try it out

:/
    $1500 import? That's 20%? Blimey. I'd be stuck with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141158565654

Or the hilarious looking Fender Lead.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    mart said:
    That's a beautiful guitar! But ... $300 shipping, and, ooh, about $1500 for import taxes? Ouch.
    That's way too much. Does that also mean it's $7500? (Import tax at 20%?) If so, WAY too much.

Nice guitar, but they're not worth that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I wouldn't want much from 81 - 89

@GavHaus, im not far behind you mate (83) I have my yob guitar (purchased by accident) an Ibanez Destroyer. 

I'm 1980 - there's some very nice Japanese stuff out there from the 80s, a couple on this very forum.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    IanSavage said:

@GavHaus, im not far behind you mate (83) I have my yob guitar (purchased by accident) an Ibanez Destroyer. 

I'm 1980 - there's some very nice Japanese stuff out there from the 80s, a couple on this very forum.
    that why I said much and not anything. 

The MIJ stuff is good but it generally needs an electrics and pickup swap out. 

Construction wise its great
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    ICBM said:
    mart said:
    That's way too much. Does that also mean it's $7500? (Import tax at 20%?) If so, WAY too much.

actual price is £3k....I'm thinking thats ok, but the rest of it puts it a bit too much really
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited May 2014
    ICBM said:
    mart said:

Maybe I slightly overestimated it; I was reckoning at 25%, on a BIN of $6400.
    Depends how much you want LPB. You can get an original '64 Jag from about $2500. Now that is where the import still looks tasty to me against the Uk prices.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited May 2014

Entertained by comments complaining about 80's birth year guitars, just be content with being young (er). Besides some of us are not only older but don't have a chance of buying their birth year guitars!  love the guitar BTW
    :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, I really dont want a sunburst, I've got 2 sunburst Strats and a sb Tele already :/
    Ah, see I love em on jags, and at below £2k even with all the customs, postage bla bla, it'll be the way I go when I can finally buy one.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    racefaceec90;244841" said:
    were there any good guitars in 75?

Im also searching for my 40th next year. Lets trade notes.

To the OP. That is an achingly cool guitar. Personally I would already be showing it as a NGD

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

I wish I could even think of a guitar from 1972 I would like.....................I can't !

There are no Fenders from that era I would touch, much less a Gibson. I'm no expert on 70's guitars either so aside from those two well known makes, i'm just a bit lost on this subject. A Year of Birth guitar is a really nice idea but it would still have to be something I actually want.

That '64 in the OP is gorgeous - if you can afford to do it, just do it.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    were there any good guitars in 75?
    Les Paul Custom
    Gibson L6-S or L6 Deluxe (fuck-ugly but very nice, never played one I didn't like)
    Flying V
    Strat
    Tele Custom/Deluxe

You name it really! Rich pickings for the 70s, and usually not too expensive (by vintage standards I hasten to add). They have a bad rep a lot of the time, but there's still an awful lot of bloody nice guitars from that period out there.

Would that I had so much choice for 1995. Mid-90s seems to be a bit shit really.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 463
    I want a 1973 Les Paul Deluxe that some numpty hasn't routed for full-sized humbuckers.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    nice guitar!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.