PSA (Joyo) and a question...

AlanPAlanP Frets: 54
edited May 2014 in FX
So in the last couple of months, I've bought a Joyo Sweet Baby via Amazon (£24.95 and a slow-boat from China), and a Joyo US Dream from Coda on the discount weekend (£28.46), but I've recently spotted them for sale via the evilbay (UK sources) for £23 and £20.22 respectively...

... both great pedals IMO (ok, the build may be a little light-weight, but hey...)

However, I'm now GASsing for a Mooer Black Secret, but I've been unable to find them for less that (roughly) £50... 
... at that price it is probably better to spring for a real RAT (except that I'm a bit pressed for space on my board...)

Does anyone know where I can get a Mooer for less money?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    edited May 2014
    Not sure. Trawl Ebay, maybe? I got mine for the cheaper prices (~£28) and for that kind of money it's hard to go wrong. Not sure I'd want to pay £50 for a Mooer though. Granted, the mooer also has the vintage/turbo switch (which I'm assuming swaps from diodes to LED clippers).

Someone on here got a cheaper Chinese-made Rat/Turbo Rat clone off Ebay for something nuts like £17 a while back. It wasn't teeny like the Mooer, though. They seemed to like it, I forget the name of it, though. EDIT: Obviously that means I haven't tried it, so that's not a personal recommendation. :))
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I recently acquired a Black Secret from a mate via a swap for my spare Boss flanger. He was only getting rid coz he's managed to get a 'new' proper original Rat (after his old one died).
    I have to say that I'm impressed. I wouldn't have got one otherwise, tending to go more for fuzz and overdrives. Anyway, my mate reckons it's definitely almost as good as an original one, he being an aficionado wouldn't  have a newer one. So you're better off getting the Mooer. He reckons it's a better buy than a new real Rat. Scour Ebay/ facebook/ gumtree. 

Sorry for the 'my mate says' line, by the way!
  • AlanPAlanP Frets: 54
    Yes, Id picked up a few opinions of that sort already... which is why I was still considering it (in addition to the size issue) - although there are bound to be those who will disagree...
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I have the the little bear Rat.tack 2 and it is pretty damn good all 3 voicings sound good, it has a metal case, lm308 chip and sounds identical to how my dirty rat sounded (as far as i can recall) no brainer at £17
    Its obviously alot bigger than the mooer but its easier to mount to a pedal board cheaper and takes batteries, while leaving you enough cash left over for another joyo pedal ;)
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Just go for a Rat2, the original pedal is by far the best, that's coming from someone who collects Rats!
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    I have one of those rat.tacks I bought here at the fretboard. Sub £20 price, can't tell it apart from a normal RAT.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    edited May 2014
    MattG said:
    I have the the little bear Rat.tack 2 and it is pretty damn good all 3 voicings sound good, it has a metal case, lm308 chip and sounds identical to how my dirty rat sounded (as far as i can recall) no brainer at £17
    Its obviously alot bigger than the mooer but its easier to mount to a pedal board cheaper and takes batteries, while leaving you enough cash left over for another joyo pedal ;)
    I think that's the one I was talking about :)
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    yes it is, i think a few of us have picked them up now
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Little-Bear-RAT-Guitar-Bass-Distortion-Effector-effect-StompBox-Pedal-LM308AN-uk-/291152290294?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43ca0761f6
    if you're quick then they are an absolute steal!
    I love mine and don't think i would bother updating it except possibly, eventually for a moonphase moon driver.
    What do you think of the sweet baby by the way?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9713
    I have a sweet baby and it's awesome, can be used as a nice warm boost, or with a little more OD, though it is very much a low gain OD. The focus knob seems to vary where the boost is, like bass mid or treble. Lots of definition on the notes. Also as I found last night, gets extra good drive when you whack a clean boost before it
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • AlanPAlanP Frets: 54
    Yes, I might have a stab at that and see if I can pick one up for a song - but the issue is still how I get it onto my board...

... Ah well...

Yes, I like the Sweet Baby, AND the US Dream, AND the Soul Food, and I'd still like to keep my TOD, AND... (something's got to give...)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    After the debacle that was the MOOER introductory deals then them saying everyone selling MOOER other than at the full RRP were now copies, there has been a distinct lack of deals... Somone advised them well it seems
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>