Remember the Clarksonesque Challenge?

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Tempting..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452

I know this is all in the hypothetical stage etc but I'd happily pay a few quid more for this stuff. @gspbasses supplied mine and it was amazing, made sanding a real doddle and lasted miles longer than the standard stuff I usually get. It's padded, too, which makes curves much easier (cutaways are still a pain but I'll take what I can!).

EDIT: Here is a linky http://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/Mirka_Goldflex_Soft.html?gclid=CNfmluqexL4CFebItAod324Atw with 10 people taking part, it'd only add a few quid to the total cost for a couple of each grade supplied in that kit, and in my opinion would make the project much quicker and easier.  

Thanks for the tip @thePrettyDamned - I'll take a look and, if it makes sense - will get a bundle.

rpr said:
    There's all kind of water based finishing that come to mind- veneering (PVA glue), staining using fountain pen ink,water based varnish. waxes, some variation on Jookification 

We could probably sort out a thread just to discuss the finishing options for people doing the build.  You're absolutely right - there are many options out there. 

And @JookyChap might have some comments on the approaches that he's tried.  Not the acid, acid, acid one though ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I think it will be amazing, seeing several people with the same starter kit... ... But ending up with guitars that all look really really different, not just in colour but finish style. @wezv has a great thread somewhere on using tru oil, and that's one classy looking finish if you get it right.
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    TPD
    You are correct regarding the sanding,face mask is essential and i do wear glasses so thanks for the tip.

I just watched a video on youtube on how to use Wudtone,looks easy enough as long as the sanding is done 
    properly,still open to other suggestions though.

Point taken about the Trem v Hardtail i don't mind the hard tail version of a PRS,more effort 
    in the finish i think.

• oddballoddball Frets: 248
    edited May 2014
    I'd be tempted  - maybe use some Alclad 2 and try and replicate an aircraft skin. A Strat or Tele I figure would be best as a bit less to go wrong in the fit department (unless Mr Sausage fingers decides to get involved)
    Where do you buy Wudtone from in the UK?

asimmd said:
    Where do you buy Wudtone from in the UK?

From Andy @ Wudtone.com

Thanks Tony,do they have a website that shows the colours available?

asimmd said:
    Thanks Tony,do they have a website that shows the colours available?

Errrmmmm .... wudtone.com

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DOH!!!!!!!!! Thanks Tony
    Right, I've spent this morning on alibaba, have narrowed it down to a shortlist of 3 possible suppliers and have asked them for some quotes.

Also taken a look at some of the other links posted.  

Thomann was really tempting me, but take a look at this ...
    Look at the holes for the bridge, and how they line up against the side edges of the pickup cavities.

There might just be a few returns there ...

Plus, the kits are pre-finished with some sort of coating, which means that Wudtone wouldn't work.

:(
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited May 2014
    Thanks really bad, in this age where it's possible for people to have a CNC at home you'd think wonky holes like that shouldn't happen from an actual business. Also if that's their promo shot how bad are the regular ones.
    The picture of the Harley Benton Single Cutaway on Thomanns website looks exactly the same. Holes don't line up on that one as well.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    asimmd;248595" said:
    Hi underdog

If its as easy as you say I'm in,subject to seeing what the options are for finishing.

Wonder if its possible to get a kit with a trem thats not a strat?

A PRS look alike would be nice.

Alan
    Honestly rattle can gives great finishes for painting at home, even bursts are easy enough, I done silverburst Strat and looked lovely. As long as it's smooth before priming its just 10mins painting a coat on lightly and repeat until you the colour you want. Give it a few weeks to cure and tcut to a shine.

• underdog said:
    asimmd;248595" said:
    Hi underdog

If its as easy as you say I'm in,subject to seeing what the options are for finishing.

Wonder if its possible to get a kit with a trem thats not a strat?

A PRS look alike would be nice.

Alan
    Honestly rattle can gives great finishes for painting at home, even bursts are easy enough, I done silverburst Strat and looked lovely. As long as it's smooth before priming its just 10mins painting a coat on lightly and repeat until you the colour you want. Give it a few weeks to cure and tcut to a shine.

The problem with rattle cans is fumes - I used them to top coat my SG and, even though I did it outside, it was less than pleasant.  Unless there are alternatives I don't know about?
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I use a decent mask from screw fix, cost me 20 quid about 3 years ago. I tend to paint outside then hang it inside to dry by a sunny window.

• kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Get a yellow tyvek suit and a gas mask then once the guitars finished you get a free walter white fancy dress constume
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    TTony said:
    There might just be a few returns there ...
    Easier to send back to Germany than to China tho but...
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    Any further info on this?  
    sinbaadi said:
    Any further info on this?  

3 enquiries sent to potential suppliers on Saturday - all Chinese with the apparent ability to be able to provide a number of different body shapes (so we don't all have to do a Tele) in the (low) quantities that we'd be interested in.

1 response received so far, offering to send me samples, but I'd have to pick up the $300 express shipping cost to be able to take a look at them (plus whatever taxes HMRC decides to impose).  And the PayPal surcharge.  If we order in bulk, I'd get them surface shipped so that the cost was not as silly, but I don't really want to wait 4-6 weeks for surface shipped samples to arrive before we decide whether to do it, or not.

So I'm waiting a couple of days to see if I get any more responses.  If not, I'll probably bite the $300 bullet to get samples in and assess whether they'd be good enough to use as the base for a build-your-own-kit challenge.