(Discussion Thread) - Fretboard Challenge #2 - Entries

What's Hot
Hi Everyone,

Please use this thread to discuss all the entries for Fretboard Challenge #2.
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Ears primed and ready....there's a lot to get through! :-)
  • Yeah I have only heard snipets of most of the recent submission so I have to listen through all of them as well.
    Old Is Gold

The vid for "Skarloey - The Far Horizon" is there twice, with one of them in place of "PolarityMan - Dronie"

• The vid for "Skarloey - The Far Horizon" is there twice, with one of them in place of "PolarityMan - Dronie"

Thanks for that I'm glad someone saw it early on, I just cut and pasted the wrong link otherwise the upload is fine (I think)

X_X
    Old Is Gold
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    Good to see so many entries.

I'll sit down with a cuppa tonight and listen to them all - I'll also be exercising my democratic right to vote (not for myself, of course).

Thanks to Sheldon for organising all this, as well.

=D>
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I'm going to have to wait till I get home to listen to everyone's tracks but some of the names are great.

Yup, looks fine now.

We'll let you off, you've done a sterling job getting all this organised and uploaded

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Lol I think that I should have put more effort into the picture...everyone else's looks really good. I shall be scheduling ymself some time to check all these out tomorrow evening i think.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Lol I think that I should have put more effort into the picture...everyone else's looks really good. I shall be scheduling ymself some time to check all these out tomorrow evening i think.
    I dunno I thought your pic was pretty witty
    :)
    Old Is Gold
  • Any comments or criticisms on the way the tracks have been uploaded/ presented?

I feel that having the YouTube and SoundCloud accounts offers people a choice on how they access the tracks.
    Old Is Gold
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    My track seems to be all muddy and quiet .. probably how I created the mp3 file.

I shall get a cold beer and have a listen later this evening.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Wow just had a scan through the entries and the standard is really high.  Some excellent compositions, recordings and a huge variety.  It'll take quite a while to get a good listen to all of them  :)
  • Fretwired said:
    My track seems to be all muddy and quiet .. probably how I created the mp3 file.

I shall get a cold beer and have a listen later this evening.
    There could be some quality loss for the youtube videos when the files are made into a WMV file but the SoundCloud files should be exactly as they were sent to me.
    Old Is Gold
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    'this the soundcloud files I've been listening to. Easy to just let them play one after the other whilst I mes about doing other stuff.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    I've just listened to all the entries and the standard is really high. I'm now faced with the daunting task of casting my vote - lots of things to like there.

@Antique_Guitars   ; I watched on YouToob and the playlist through all the videos was great. One thing - Basher's vid was 12'58" long, most of which was silence. Has some YT upload error occurred here? Is is it art?
  • I've just listened to all the entries and the standard is really high. I'm now faced with the daunting task of casting my vote - lots of things to like there.

@Antique_Guitars   ; I watched on YouToob and the playlist through all the videos was great. One thing - Basher's vid was 12'58" long, most of which was silence. Has some YT upload error occurred here? Is is it art?
    Yeah I noticed that too, it is some weird video error I shall correct it and re-upload a bit later.
    Old Is Gold
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1198
    I've just listened to all the entries and the standard is really high. I'm now faced with the daunting task of casting my vote - lots of things to like there.

Unfortunately not. That said, it would have been a good idea to add 7 minutes of silence to an entry that was very much aimed at the obnoxiously unlistenable end of the drone market!

Lots of great stuff here. Have listened through once and it was a bit like finding a load of Tangerine Dream out-takes. (I probably need to specify that I would consider this to be a good thing.) 

Interesting how different everyone's take on the ol' dronery was. Some, like me, see it as an almost industrial/ambient offshoot whereas others have produced sublimely melodic ideas. Likewise the choices of instrumentation - some clearly guitaristic and more conventionally drummy, others leaning more to the mangled, sonic-noise-terrorism school of sound manipulation.

All great stuff. 

Are we going to have a "gear used" thread...or leave that till later so we just let the music do the talking?
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Well...firstly,.. what an outstanding amount of talent we seem to have on this forum, I also noticed how many different opinions there are of "Drone", but great job done by all I think.

This is a really difficult one to call as I really like some of the more melodic stuff...but some other stuff may have more of a "Drone" element, I just dont know !

Need to listen to all again a couple of times before rushing into it..

Many thanks to our challenge master for putting it together .

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    I'm heading away on holidays with the family tomorrow so will miss most of the discussions/voting so just wanted to get in early and say a big thanks to @Antique_Guitars for putting this together. I imagine it's a serious draw on your time to sort through the entries, upload everything, answer questions etc. So serious kudos for providing a great creative outlet for this forum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom