Composition Challenge #2 - Voting

What's Hot
Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
edited December 2014 in Making Music
Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all that entered the competition, the turnout has been really great for this challenge.

Please use this thread to cast your vote for your favourite entry to Fretboard Challenge #2.

Every registered forum member is allowed to vote ONCE, simply post in this thread your choice for winner.

(Note for Entrants of the competition: Self Voting is NOT Allowed)

Please do not post anything else other than your vote in the thread, please use the other discussion thread HERE to talk about the entries.

The winner will be announced just before midnight on the 31st May, this thread will be locked and voting closed at 11.30pm on that day.
(you can edit your vote up to the time the thread is locked)

A reminder of the competition Guidlines:

The rules for Fretboard Challenge #2 have been chosen by the moderators of thefretboard.co.uk, it is designed to be an open challenge which allows multiple avenues of musical exploration for all .

Create a DRONE track at least 1 minute in length. Drone music has its roots in ethnic and spiritual music, but in the west it was in the minimalist movement of the 60's that it really got more notice. At later times through genres like Krautrock and Shoegaze it became popular again, more recently bands like Sunn O))) have once again brought it to the forefront .

There is an opportunity for everyone to explore drone in whatever way they want, it is supposed to be as open a challenge as possible. You could potentially make an extremely beautiful piece of music, some kind of extreme noise, ethnic/spiritual music or anything else inbetween.

This Wiki page may be useful to those of you unfamiliar with the various types of Drone music and the artists associated with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drone_music

Any number or combination of instruments can be used, vocal layering and sampling is also permitted.

You Do Not have to use guitars if you don't want to.

Entries: (in no particular order) (Entrants - please contact me if there are any mistakes with your uploads)

Please see all the entries uploaded on SoundCloud HERE
Please only vote for tracks marked (Fretboard Challenge #2)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spark240 - Drone One (2)

Thecolourbox - Broken String Blues

The Banditos (Chuffola) - Afraid MKIII

Steamabacus - Sun And Air

Skarloey - The Far Horizon

PolarityMan - Dronie

Not the DJ - Drone

Mellowsun - Ambient2

Lev - Beach Drone

LastMantra - Between Reality

KrFr (Kerpunk) - Three

Fretwired - Primerole

Daveww - Ee10 Messed

Cacofonix - Star Sign

Basher - 56k Warning

Adam MD - I Will Rise

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited May 2014
    My desert island drone choice would be ...

Primerole, by @Fretwired.

Good luck all!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    edited May 2014
    I vote for @not_the_dj
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    Found this a very difficult choice but finally decided on: 

Steamabacus - Sun And Air

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Fantastic entries everyone. I've finally decided so.....

@mellowsun gets my vote :-)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Steamabacus - Sun And Air for me too.
    I like that there is some dawn chorus in there- we do it every year.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    OK....so risking not voting for myself...I'm going Mellowsun - Ambient2, 

Is it "Drone" ?...well i dont think I really know what Drone is any more..but its a nice piece, well done ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4129
    It's a tough one, but I'm leaning towards Adam_MD - what a beautiful tone :O

I'd like to hear an instrumental version too though, ambient lyrics just sound odd to me when I can speak the language :D

Almost went for either Not the DJ's, or Steamabacus' tracks too. Nice work guys. :)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I've listened to everyone's tracks a few times and this was a really tough decision, but I vote for @mellowsun .. reminds me of William Akkerman in places and I liked the way he avoided the obvious ambient style which I opted for .. it was also well recorded and produced.

There were loads of tracks I liked .. I'll try and comment on SoundCloud. This was tough.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    edited May 2014
    After due consideration my vote goes to @lastmantra
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    @Adam_MD for me too but very hard to choose any above the others.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    A difficult one but, after much consideration, I'm going to vote for @Basher
  • Well done everyone some truly awesome compositions submitted, you should all be very proud of yourselves.

It has been very hard for me to pick a winner but I have to say that my vote goes to @not_the_dj your track just really did something for me.
    Old Is Gold
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    After much deliberation my vote goes to @Adam_MD  The others were great too but for me it offered the best overall composition and I just really like the overall piece.  Fits well with the theme, although there are many interpretations on this, and a nice piece of music in it's own right.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    I was struggling between @steamabacus, @Fretwired and @Mellowsun FTW, the rest were all good in their own ways and it was tough to narrow it down.

But I decided that @steamabacus track spoke to me more so he gets my vote.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Time to get off the fence unbelievable difficult so im just going to spit it out before I change my mind again.  I'm voting for @not_the_dj
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    edited May 2014
    TBH I rarely get around to these things. But if work are going to buy me an iPad and put me in a building with wi fi and I've got to be here until 5pm on a Friday this seems to be the best possible use of my time...

I can't get the @Polarityman one to work?That may well just be me but all the others played fine.

Very tempted by @thecolourbox and his slightly African, very Canned Heat ( that's a dead on Canned Heat fuzz on the solo) track which I liked a lot and is probably the closest to what I had in my head for Drone.

But in the end gone for @LastMantra - there is such a strong atmosphere to it and reminds me of The Leather Nun ( not a reference I thought I'd be making today!)
    :-O
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    What a totally brilliant set of tracks.

I'd like to do an end-of-year multi-CD compilation of all the tracks submitted for all the challenges (1 CD per challenge sort of thing), maybe with the voting comments as a little booklet insert.  I'd originally thought that perhaps the "top 2/3" from each challenge (as voted for by you, the members) should go onto a compo CD, but there's too much good stuff here to exclude if we did it that way.

Yes, yes, yes, I know that all the tracks are hosted online, but this internet thing won't last forever, whereas a CD will.

More seriously, I've been really amazed at the quality of stuff that has been created and submitted, and I'd like to create some sort of more lasting and tangible reminder of all the good work, rather than it just slowly drifting to the outer edges of the www to be forgotten.

Anyway, just an idea.

For this compo, my vote goes to @AdamMD who cunningly got his entry listed last.

Sorry to @MellowSun though - to my ears, that's the "best" piece of music in terms of composition and playing and sound and overall professional quality, but the title is the only reason I didn't vote for it - had this challenge been an "ambient" theme, it would have got my vote.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Wow, they're all brilliant, and so different! 

I quite liked the @lastmantra one, though.  It was very much a piece of music and very different to what I was expecting.

Close second for me was @fretwired - proper nice stuff.  

Bring on the next one :D
  • KerpunkKerpunk Frets: 75
    edited May 2014
    @Cacofonix with Fretwired a close second.

But I would happily listen to them all again.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited May 2014
    S'all good!! Well done everybody, and thanks for the comments on my effort! :-bd

At the risk of looking like I'm voting for him because he voted for me (thanks!), I'm voting for @PolarityMan. Just got the vibe, made me want to go get creative. \m/