Any TWEED users here?? (NOT Plus 4s!)

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
edited May 2014 in Amps
...you can't beat a bit of TWEED now and then...

How do you llike yours??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• svejksvejk Frets: 148

How about this tweedy stack? Cornell Romany on top of an empty Romany Plus cabinet which I've repurposed as an extension cab. The low angle shot conveys a sense of the sheer raw power ;)image

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I've also got me one of these. A Redneck Tweed Deluxe clone(ish) by Tube Tone Engineering. 22W with 6L6s and uprated transformers, VVR power reduction. Basically a less rich man's Lazy J. Highly recommended, ditto the Cornell. Sounds great in stereo. Looking forward to some studio time this weekend!image

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Fender '57 Champ reissue .. lovely amp

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2348
    svejk said:

I've also got me one of these. A Redneck Tweed Deluxe clone(ish) by Tube Tone Engineering. 22W with 6L6s and uprated transformers, VVR power reduction. Basically a less rich man's Lazy J. Highly recommended, ditto the Cornell. Sounds great in stereo. Looking forward to some studio time this weekend!image

What's it like? The price is pretty good, that's for sure. :)
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited May 2014

used to have this, but i don't any more nor the musicman or the fishman or the guitar room either!

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/bandmaster188/DSC00623.jpg

The Swamp City Shakers
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    /\ @bandmaster188 Divorced?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The Swamp City Shakers
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited May 2014 tFB Trader
    Lazy J20 & J40 for me.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 796
    Fender Tweed Blues Junior here - played a bit less recently but I'm still very fond of it. 

Wouldn't say no to a Cornell Romany though! 
    Dave_Mc said:

I got mine nearly new, so an even better price! Sounds great - stands up very well with the Cornell, but more volume. The VVC is super useful as you can get the output distortion at exactly the volume you want it. The 1/10th W setting on the Cornell is often too quiet for home, but you can't crank the 2W setting.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    Lazy J20 but one day a J40 or J35 ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2348
    svejk said:
    Dave_Mc said:

I got mine nearly new, so an even better price! Sounds great - stands up very well with the Cornell, but more volume. The VVC is super useful as you can get the output distortion at exactly the volume you want it. The 1/10th W setting on the Cornell is often too quiet for home, but you can't crank the 2W setting.
    Thanks :) Yeah I have VVR on another amp and it's very useful.

Just out of interest majorscale . What occasion or location would you use the j40 at? I ask as the J40 I heard needs to be turned up loud until it starts to break up etc. We'll higher than the J20 of course.

PM me if this post is on danger of railroading this thread ;)
    Majorscale;246609" said:
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1555

Just out of interest majorscale . What occasion or location would you use the j40 at? I ask as the J40 I heard needs to be turned up loud until it starts to break up etc. We'll higher than the J20 of course.

The J20 is my home amp, the J40 is for rehearsals/gigs and lives flightcased in between those times. Frankly my J20 would be fine with the gigs we do, pubs/weddings/corporate, as we mic everything, but the J40 has the power in reserve if the situation ever called for it. I always run the J40 clean and boost with pedals... to get natural breakup it will be getting very loud but sounds very nice too! :-)
    Also the tone/response is markedly different to the J20 and I think overall I prefer it, a little cleaner, brighter, more transparent and the reverb & trem also sound sweeter to my ears. Perhaps the only downside of the J40 for me is it's a little noisy - i.e. more hiss on "tickover" - which seems to be a character of the design based on conversations with other owners.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

The J20 is my home amp, the J40 is for rehearsals/gigs and lives flightcased in between those times. Frankly my J20 would be fine with the gigs we do, pubs/weddings/corporate, as we mic everything, but the J40 has the power in reserve if the situation ever called for it. I always run the J40 clean and boost with pedals... to get natural breakup it will be getting very loud but sounds very nice too! :-)
    Also the tone/response is markedly different to the J20 and I think overall I prefer it, a little cleaner, brighter, more transparent and the reverb & trem also sound sweeter to my ears. Perhaps the only downside of the J40 for me is it's a little noisy - i.e. more hiss on "tickover" - which seems to be a character of the design based on conversations with other owners.
    J20 as a home amp? I guess that means different things to various people :)  Love my J20 but feel after the amp has been on for a while during a gig and the valves are hot, the cleans go a bit. Not a problem at all as my band is rock edged and it is my sound. However, to be cleaner sometimes and not have to run over to the amp and twiddle etc would be nice. Looks like the J40 would tick all boxes there then :) Maybe thats the way tweeds are in general and not a Lazy J thing. I don't know, not had a tweed before the Lazy J
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    OK - Now we are all gathered maybe we can talk tech and tone. Points to raise:

* I love the sound of Tweed, but it is a very one dimensional sound - be it  clean or distortion. 

* The use of the guitar volume tone knobs are crucial. 

* Jumpering only muddies the waters - ie adds more middling compression

* Not every Guitar sounds its best with one

* Not every Guitarists can play one!

Discuss.....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    OK - Now we are all gathered maybe we can talk tech and tone. Points to raise:

* I love the sound of Tweed, but it is a very one dimensional sound - be it  clean or distortion. 

* The use of the guitar volume tone knobs are crucial. 

* Jumpering only muddies the waters - ie adds more middling compression

* Not every Guitar sounds its best with one

* Not every Guitarists can play one!

Discuss.....
    Oh no not that old discussion again :)
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Fretwired said:

Fender '57 Champ reissue .. lovely amp
    Nice Photography @fretwired, nice gear too!