Any TWEED users here?? (NOT Plus 4s!)

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    /\ cat-scratch-fever....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Well, finding the right output and speaker combination to get the headroom and reach the room corners.
    If you go with trad tweed reissues/clone (ie all/most of us), you need the right tube type in v1, killer transformer(s) and a lightweight/well built pine cab.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    svejk said:

I've also got me one of these. A Redneck Tweed Deluxe clone(ish) by Tube Tone Engineering. 22W with 6L6s and uprated transformers, VVR power reduction. Basically a less rich man's Lazy J. Highly recommended, ditto the Cornell. Sounds great in stereo. Looking forward to some studio time this weekend!image

I've been looking into getting some kind of 5E3 clone recently and was worried there may not be quite enough headroom for rehearsals/small pub/club gigs. I was wondering if the 22W output of this is enough for those kinds of situations un-mic'd?

Also, do you find that the VVR limits the channel interaction thing the 5E3 is known for? Or even clean-up with the guitars volume control?

Sorry for all the questions, it just seems like this could be the affordable answer to my tweed GAS!

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    22 watts is easily loud enough and plenty of headroom for me. Unfortunately I think the redneck amps seem to be out of business. Their website is down and no reply from their Facebook page either :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    edited August 2014
    Ooops I apologise the website is back up again. Must have been a glitch. However Barry never answers my emails or facebook messages. I wouldn't go any further with a purchase if he doesn't respond via these methods at least. Shame, looks a good product and price :(
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
     However Barry never answers my emails or facebook messages.
    I'm not surprised at those prices :)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    I like mine like this; in Clapton Tweed

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    edited August 2014
    What I didn't like about the Eric Clapton Twinolux amp I worked on a few months ago was that it was poorly designed - so that when it blew a valve, instead of a fuse blowing, the valve socket vitrified, then some of the wiring loom and part of the circuit board caught fire. All because they fitted it with a filament fuse which it doesn't need, instead of a HT fuse which it does…

I used to have a '59 Tweed Champ, which was very nice. Also a '58 ex-Tweed Princeton, which when I got it was a Pine Princeton with a 10" speaker. I miss them a bit but I sold them for silly prices for what they were really. I sometimes wonder about getting a Deluxe, mainly because of Neil Young, but I tend to find that's all they do when I play them. Which is great for a while, but I think I would prefer something a bit more flexible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Do you think they are expensive then!
    martinw;326938" said:
    hotpickups said:

However Barry never answers my emails or facebook messages.

I'm not surprised at those prices :)
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

Not sure if you're being serious :)

No, they're far too cheap for a sustainable business model.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    Perhaps 'Barry' is Chinese...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    martinw;327564" said:
    hotpickups said:

Not sure if you're being serious :)No, they're far too cheap for a sustainable business model.
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148

@jaded - Barry did reply to an email of mine the other day, but I don't know how online savvy he is. I get the impression he's semi retired, and putting his skills to good use.

I've gigged mine (pub gig, unmiced) and it was loud enough for my two piece. We're not very clean though. I've found the VVR super useful, and I don't notice any loss of tone - as long as you don't expect to use it at home cranked at TV volumes.

Just done some studio recording with it... https://thehoolivans.bandcamp.com/track/bigger-boys. Actually, this is a Cornell Romany and Redneck in stereo, the redneck panned left. The guitar is a 335.

So that's the kind of sound you can get out of it - you will see I am not bothered about bags of clean headroom, although I do like the responsiveness of a good valve amp - it's nice to control the crunchiness with your pick attack.

I reckon there are a fair few builders out there who will do you a 5e3 clone - they're simple circuits. You can buy mine off me for a Dr Evil ransom of a gajillion dollars. :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited August 2014

martinw said:

Yeah, it's 'hobby builder' pricing - either unsustainable business, a hobby to supplement income or something to just keep him busy because he doesn't need money would be my guess.  

And, following that logic, I wouldn't expect stellar after sales support.  I could be totally wrong, of course, but I'd rather go with someone who's really thought through the business plan, so to speak, and will likely be around in a few years time when something goes wrong because of moisture damage or wear and tear. 

Even Weinbrock went out of business, didn't they?

website seems well out of date...

OH MY GOD DON'T CLICK ON THE ADVERT LINK ON THE HOME PAGE NSFW
    Oh, and Barry's phone number from the website .... 01732 820035

martinw said:

Yeah, it's 'hobby builder' pricing - either unsustainable business, a hobby to supplement income or something to just keep him busy because he doesn't need money would be my guess.  

And, following that logic, I wouldn't expect stellar after sales support.  I could be totally wrong, of course, but I'd rather go with someone who's really thought through the business plan, so to speak, and will likely be around in a few years time when something goes wrong because of moisture damage or wear and tear. 

Even Weinbrock went out of business, didn't they?

website seems well out of date...

OH MY GOD DON'T CLICK ON THE ADVERT LINK ON THE HOME PAGE NSFW
    Yes the after sales support is my concern too. Rather pay a little more and have the peace of mind?
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    svejk said:

@jaded - Barry did reply to an email of mine the other day, but I don't know how online savvy he is. I get the impression he's semi retired, and putting his skills to good use.

I've gigged mine (pub gig, unmiced) and it was loud enough for my two piece. We're not very clean though. I've found the VVR super useful, and I don't notice any loss of tone - as long as you don't expect to use it at home cranked at TV volumes.

Just done some studio recording with it... https://thehoolivans.bandcamp.com/track/bigger-boys. Actually, this is a Cornell Romany and Redneck in stereo, the redneck panned left. The guitar is a 335.

So that's the kind of sound you can get out of it - you will see I am not bothered about bags of clean headroom, although I do like the responsiveness of a good valve amp - it's nice to control the crunchiness with your pick attack.

I reckon there are a fair few builders out there who will do you a 5e3 clone - they're simple circuits. You can buy mine off me for a Dr Evil ransom of a gajillion dollars. :)

Thanks! That's the kind of grind I'd be looking for, not totally saturated and seems like it could clean up a little from the guitar. 
    What email are you using for him? Maybe it's different from what I am using?
    svejk;327954" said:
    @jaded - Barry did reply to an email of mine the other day, but I don't know how online savvy he is. I get the impression he's semi retired, and putting his skills to good use.I've gigged mine (pub gig, unmiced) and it was loud enough for my two piece. We're not very clean though. I've found the VVR super useful, and I don't notice any loss of tone - as long as you don't expect to use it at home cranked at TV volumes.Just done some studio recording with it... https://thehoolivans.bandcamp.com/track/bigger-boys. Actually, this is a Cornell Romany and Redneck in stereo, the redneck panned left. The guitar is a 335.So that's the kind of sound you can get out of it - you will see I am not bothered about bags of clean headroom, although I do like the responsiveness of a good valve amp - it's nice to control the crunchiness with your pick attack.I reckon there are a fair few builders out there who will do you a 5e3 clone - they're simple circuits. You can buy mine off me for a Dr Evil ransom of a gajillion dollars. :)
    Ah it's a different address