Ever been moved to tears at a gig?

What's Hot
tbmtbm Frets: 579
Not playing, attending. This has only happened to me once, but I totally welled just because the music had such a physical and emotional impact on me. I could never envisage it happening again mind, but it popped back into my head today becuase the song that was being played - The Wolves (Act I and II) by Bon Iver - popped up on iTunes shuffle just now and it all came flooding back.

If you cried at a gig cause you'd been dumped that day it doesn't count.

It sounds daft, and if I heard somebody else talking about it I might raise an eyebrow, but having experienced it I'd be interested to see if anyone else has too.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    edited May 2014
    Looong time ago, I noticed a certain moistness watching Camel on their Snow Goose tour, was like you ^^^^ very moving, we'd done the book at school so I knew the story.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

A few times but I really remember welling up for:

Seeing Tori Amos singing "Me and a Gun"

Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band with Jake Clemons nailing his late uncle's sax solo to Jungleland (I blubbed like a baby, as did everyone else in the pit with me)

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    not moved to tears but nearly asphyxiated myself: as a teenager when seeing a local blues band the guitarist pulled off a spell-binding solo, not technically snazzy but like a captivating story. I completely forgot to breathe and nearly passed out as a consequence - and I was completely sober, it was early afternoon and the venue was a fairly well-lit school foyer. I can't remember what he played but I can still recall how I felt, and that was nearly 30 years ago!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557

Happens to me quite often and I don't have to be at a live gig, some performances, on TV or audio only affect me.

Am I weird? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ROOG said:

Happens to me quite often and I don't have to be at a live gig, some performances, on TV or audio only affect me.

Am I weird? 

Nope, me too.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    Yeah, films and tv isn't so rare. But that pit of the stomach physical reaction has only happened that one time.

High 5 guys <<SMACK>>. We can all be big jessies together.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    /\ LOL, that is how I feel at times!

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Paco De Lucia Sextet gig at the Dominion Theatre, London within the first 10mins, as did most of the audience. Bless him and RIP. Funny enough, also at another flamenco gig, a Paco Pena show. My wife was a wreck during and after that one!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and when FM reformed or played again after a long hiatus at Firefest, Rock City, Nottingham. A lot of us were there at the start and seeing them back again and as good as ever, and those songs etc was very nostalgic.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    Yeah at a Bjork gig when she did Unravel. 

Sometimes I go off in the car when a song comes on.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    I saw Jack White couple years back and he did "You've got her in your pocket", totally solo with no band, very contrasting song to the rest of the set which was full band and very extroverted, the switch to an introverted and such a sad song flipped me over the edge quicker than you can finger pick a D major chord
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Prince doing Nothing Compares 2 U at the O2 was the only time I can recall a gig having that effect on me.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Seeing The Flaming Lips, first time I'd ever heard there music, at Glastonbury back when they were promoting the Soft Bulletin. Couldn't believe my ears. I was pretty drunk, but still, what a sound.
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1904
    Green and Grey by New Model Army on at least two occasions! Not quite tears but an indescribable welling-up feeling which I can only describe as "this is the soundtrack of our lives the last 20 years". Softy!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
    edited May 2014
    When I got a chance to see the Black Crowes in Manchester a couple of years ago,while Luther Dickson was playing with them (thanks to @Mudslide73). When they kicked off into 'Wiser Time' I definitely had a lump in my throat.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    A few times. A couple that spring to mind are U2 in Manchester, maybe 2002? They played "kite" and dedicated it to Bono's dad, who'd just passed away from cancer. Another time was when Elbow played the old Academy in Birmingham, they played a song called 'Tower Crane Driver' and it was pretty incredible.
  • flatoutflatout Frets: 16
    Yup. Elbow have done that to me. Unbelievably, so have The Libertines, The Cribs, and even Noel Gallagher!
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Just come out of a Medtner concert and logged on and saw this - yep I've just been literally crying for the last 10 minutes of his piano quintet! You must listen to it everyone!!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5459
    Portishead performing 'Roads' at the Corn Exchange in Edinburgh.
    Caught me surprise, I can tell you!

I think I'd break if I saw Duke Special play 'Love is a Series of Scars' live.
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

Not really. Although I nearly wept at a Velvet Revolver gig in Cardiff CIA. The sound was loud and badly mixed, the band lack lustre and uninterested, and a boyhood dream of watching Slash was ruined! Couple that with how much we paid for a pair of tickets, only to walk out (first and only time) due to the appalling shittness, and I get a bit teary eyed thinking about it even now.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited May 2014
    Velvet revolver were shit at the nia too, shocking sound!