Cheapest/best place for cable & plugs?

What's Hot
Anywhere cheaper or better than Studiospares? I want decent stuff like Sommer cable and Neutrik jacks to make replacements for all my crappy leads.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited May 2014
    Check out KABL - buy once and,  well, that's it really.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9609
    I've made a variety of cables over the years with stuff from Studiospares but they always end up more expensive than ones from the likes of Kabl. I don't think Studiospares are particularly expensive but the stuff becomes much cheaper if you're buying a couple of hundred plugs and a 100m drum of cable. 

Same quality, cheaper price and you have an extra hour or two in the evening - what's not to like?
  • Just re cabled my pedalboard with Kabl patch cables after years of periodic frustration with failing George l's when pedals got kicked or knocked. I am well impressed with the kabl's, great tone, high quality well put together and at a price that I could not warrant trying and failing to meet by making them myelf
  • I make my own with Van damme cable and neutrik jacks, it's easy, reliable and sounds great because (as you said) it's decent cable and decent plugs. And it is easy - just 2 connections per plug and a 25 watt iron does it quickly :) the way neutrik ones hold the hot (where it seems you just fill a pot with the wire and solder) works well because, when screwing the jack on, it grips the cable and ensures it is slack inside. Simple, but means that join should never budge.

Someone like kabl will do this, but may offer more types of cable and plugs and guaranteed service, and a price based on bulk ordering of bits. Win win win!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Buy decent [Neutrik] jacks.  This is where it does not pay to be a cheapskate.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Thanks chaps.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    CPC.co.uk  is about the cheapest for Neutrik's and delivery is free
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Thanks. I'll check it out.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I wasn't so impressed with the Van damme cable been looking for something better
    Don't touch that dial.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    http://www.kablonline.co.uk/

From our very own Rob Davies
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335

I am a Kabl fanboy ... Rob is your man for top quality service and product at a reasonable price ...

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    If you don't mind getting your soldering iron out, I heartily recommend "The Spirit XXL" cable by... erm... hang on... 
    ... Sommer. I will be using it for any and all future cables.

Thomann sell it; you can buy raw cable and loose Neutrik connectors (I did, put some of the nice white Neutriks that you can only seem to get from Thomann on with a vaguely 70s-chic vibe in mind) but I only noticed afterwards that it's actually cheaper to just buy the really long ready-made-up version from them and then cut it up to taste. The jacket is the tough, clear PVC that you associate with tubing from a lawn mower petrol tank, or a morphine drip in a hospital. It makes the rubber jacket of Van Damme and everyone else seem flimsy by comparison. Also, the cable itself is comfortably thick enough to use as speaker cable, despite having a good low capacitance, so you could feasibly just use the same stuff for all your cables and never have to label/worry again. ^_^

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Fez said:
    I wasn't so impressed with the Van damme cable been looking for something better

Out of interest, what was wrong with it?
  • Just to chime in I've always got my stuff from here http://www.audiospares.com/home.php Recently made a ton of custom van damn patch cable for my pedal board with everything from here.