Worth the bother?

What's Hot
SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
Ok. Early 90s Epiphone SG Junior. 2 cheap covered humbuckers in it but otherwise a decent piece of wood and a playable little guitar. Do i:
A) Sell it to my nneighbour who has offered me 50 quid for it.
B) Spend up to but no more than £80 on a P90 or 2(or two decent hbs) and clean iit up a bit.

I've never tried modding pickups before. But on the other hand my parents bought me this for passing my GCSE s so I have a certain sentimental attachment. I'd like to bring it to glory!
So a second question would be to advise on a decent HB size P90s or a recommended p90/HB combination?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    I've just done my addition and that makes me 23 years past my GCSE s. Old fart.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Keep it and put the P90's in. It's got sentimental value and you're not getting much for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Or sell it to me for £50 and I'll put the P90's in!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep it, sentimental value.
  • AlanPAlanP Frets: 54
    Start off by putting an Oil City CowTron in the bridge, and you wont look back. ... I promise!
    AlanP;248967" said:
    Start off by putting an Oil City CowTron in the bridge, and you wont look back. ... I promise!
    Which one is the Cowtron? Is it the Filterblag? I'm tempted by the Oil City stuff. I watched one of your man's YouTube demos of his Strat jobs and they sounded lively.
    Maybe one of those with a P90 in the neck would be a winner.
    edited May 2014
    Yes, the CowTron is the FilterTronAlike... I can't say how accurate or similar to the TV Jones they are, but they are quite something special in the bridge position. You might find it works quite well with the existing HB in the neck, or it might motivate you to change that too - yes, a P90 might be cool...
    Yeah I'd change both simply because the balance wouldn't work with a brand new shiny piece of loveliness at the bridge and the slice of averageness at the neck.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16657
    I got a epiphone after my GCSE's too, although it was a 96 les paul.   

I still have it and have upgraded every single part at some point, it really does play and sound great now.  I just got it out of storage last week and instantly loved it again

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    Keep it.

Tonerider do good pickups if you're on a budget. Or keep an eye out for something secondhand.
    You wont get a pair of them for £80/£90 though - unless someone takes pity on you...

But if you start with one in the bridge, I'm betting that you'll decide it's a keeper...
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    Dangleberry Music have Tonerider Rebel 90s for £39.95 each (free delivery)
    steamabacus;249018" said:
    Dangleberry Music have Tonerider Rebel 90s for £39.95 each (free delivery)
    Seen that thanks. There's also another EBay seller in Bury somewhere who does a solder free kit with every set of the Tonerider. Pretty tempting. My other option was to get one really good Bridge pickup and buy a new pick guard and turn it into a one pickup job. Hmm....

WezV;249007" said:
    I got a epiphone after my GCSE's too, although it was a 96 les paul.   

I still have it and have upgraded every single part at some point, it really does play and sound great now.  I just got it out of storage last week and instantly loved it again
    Absolutely. The wood is fine. And an SG is a lovely comfy playable guitar. Even the tuning is pretty stable. It's those pickups. The minute I had the Seymour Duncan 59s in one of my guitars I just realised what a bag of average they were. I think it'd really be decent with something nice in there.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    You've gotta keep it fella. Should make you instantly feel like a teenager every time you pick it up. If you have children, you can 'offload' it to 'em once they're age ready.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I agree with everyone else FWIW. keep it & upgrade it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31522
    Samgb;248993" said:
    [quote="AlanP;248967"]Start off by putting an Oil City CowTron in the bridge, and you wont look back. ... I promise!
    Which one is the Cowtron? Is it the Filterblag? I'm tempted by the Oil City stuff. I watched one of your man's YouTube demos of his Strat jobs and they sounded lively. [/quote]

Yep, its a great sounding pickup, I played the demo of them on the Oil City web page (it's a pair of early prototypes in a Les Paul) and they make any twin HB guitar jump to life.

Despite my forum name I'm definitely a convert!
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    I'd keep it for the sentimental value alone.

Upgrade and enjoy it.
    It's nice to know that the rest of you are as big a bunch of soppy, nappy wearing, Disney Movie watching, crying when Bambi's mum gets killed sentimental wusses like me.