"Signature" gear

What's Hot

Comments

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Richardj;250320" said:
    Samgb said:

Regards the more general point if the spec is what iI want then I'd buy a signature guitar but the branding needs to be subtle.

I was very very close to buying an Ibanez Chris Miller Roadcore on EBay not long back but in the end didn't. They are lovely cream things with a coil tapped HB and a P90 and really reasonably priced new(the eBay price was very do-able). I really should have bought it but the You And Me At 6 thing put me off. Having seen one close up no I think I'd have bought it!

@Samgb, it's a cracking guitar, if you still fancy one I might be able to help you out there ;)

I had wanted an EC Strat for many years.  So much so that I converted mine with the necessary gubbins.  When I was able to get one with some interesting history it was a real let down as it didn't sound any better than mine and the V neck felt a bit odd.  Haven't got it now.
    I wondered if you'd made the connection to the enquiring eBay party! I was close to buying it mate I'm only in Halewood but I couldn't justify it... Erm.. politically!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    It wasn't me!  But if you fancy one (and proper apologies for the seeming sales spiel) I'm not planning on keeping mine and am open to offers. Money, gear, cheese WHY!
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    I have a Simon Neil Strat,not because I like Biffy Clyro but because the guitar sounds great,and
    it doesn't cost a fortune.

I play a lot of Shadows stuff and saw the Custom Shop copies of Marvins original Strat from Oasis
    Music were sold at £5000 each,but they didn't sound much better than my NOS56.

Silly money

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Richardj;250366" said:
    It wasn't me!  But if you fancy one (and proper apologies for the seeming sales spiel) I'm not planning on keeping mine and am open to offers. Money, gear, cheese WHY!
    Sorry I thought it was you I'd almost bought one off! Think the seller had a similar name so that might be why. I can't really justify buying without selling dude and the only thing I have to trade is my Yamaha LL6 Acoustic.
    @Samgb, I'll PM you to avoid cluttering up this thread!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    If it sounds good and plays well then I don't care much beyond that.

Quite happy to play an ugly guitar.

Taking the Jem as an example - it is a tarts handbag. The older ones, the black hammerite sort of finish and the burnt blue were almost subtle and much better for it. If they lost the silly handle I bet they would sell loads more.

But that being said - it is an extremely well put together guitar, very easy to play and has a huge array of tones in it (especially if you dump the over powered Evo pickups).

I would be very happy to own one.
    ^ Wouldn't that just be an off the shelf RG then?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    Richardj said:

Neck shape is different.

Not a lot, but enough.
  • Richardj said:

Neck shape is different.

Not a lot, but enough.
    Fortunately for me, I get hand cramp on a JEM and much prefer a cheaper RG, but you're absolutely right - it's genuinely different enough to make a world of difference.

Also, JEM's may be made with higher quality wood.  Prolly not a great deal in it, but you know you're getting some of Ibby's best, and that's pretty damn good.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I really wanted a PRS after I tried a custom 22 out. It took me 10 years to muster up the courage to try one out. I wanted a PRS with birds, trem, decent split coil sounds, twin volume pots and in a Custom 22 format.

So the DGT was my ideal PRS. I've never really heard any of Dave Grissoms playing (literally ten minutes on youtube). In fact I'd struggle to recognise him in person. But from watching videos of him talking about his signature model, he clearly put a lot of time and effort into the development of it.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    DrJazzTap;250521" said:
    I really wanted a PRS after I tried a custom 22 out. It took me 10 years to muster up the courage to try one out. I wanted a PRS with birds, trem, decent split coil sounds, twin volume pots and in a Custom 22 format.

So the DGT was my ideal PRS. I've never really heard any of Dave Grissoms playing (literally ten minutes on youtube). In fact I'd struggle to recognise him in person. But from watching videos of him talking about his signature model, he clearly put a lot of time and effort into the development of it.
    From what I understand he was also instrumental in the development of the McCarty on which the DGT is based.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Also I find it puzzling people who would avoid a guitar (or dislike it) because it's a Sig. As mentioned I have an LP vermillion, already been frowned upon in here, but what you get is an LP standard with a nicer top, great pickups and strap locks, for less than a standard. All the Slash Les Paul's I've tried have been amongst the best guitars I've played, the tobacco burst with piezo could do almost anything.

I want a goldtop next :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158

That ex Vai/Mike Kneally  JEM that MALAM used to own was rather nice. Just plain Swamp Ash and a lot less tarted up, although I´d almost certainly prefer a J Custom RG if I was wanting a guitar to do that sort of thing. But you can´t knock a JEM for versatility and the build quality seems to get rather a lot more out of EVOs than lesser Ibbys do.

Other than that if I really liked the spec it would not put me off, but neither would it be a deciding factor.

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited May 2014
    I quite like the Billy Gibbons pinstriped goldtop. I don't suppose anyone knows where one might be for sale?
    *cough* sawoneinawindowinDenmarkStcouldabeenMacari'saboutthreeweeksago *cough*
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    It's ridiculous to avoid sig gear if it appeals to you, fuck what people think, it's not like they earned the money you're using is it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    The only signature guitar I have ever owned was a Clapton Strat in Pewster, with lace sensor pick ups. It was a fantastic guitar and my guitar teacher would always wanted to switch guitars every time I had a lesson. Being young and daft I sold it for money to for clothes and drink.

Would seriously consider getting another one.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i've had probably the most sig guitar ever...a Zakk Wylde bullseye les paul...of course the epiphone one. I did sell it after a while as i really started to dislike the active EMG's...and the neck was starting to feel uncomfortable, especially as I bought a couple of other guitars that felt nicer to play. 

Looking back, i should have kept it because it was a beautiful guitar (in my eyes) and at the very least i would have had it hanging on a wall even if i didn't use it. But, if i ever did play live, i would never use it, i think thats where i would draw the line.

but there are a lot of sig gear that don't matter as long its not as loud as the bullseye guitar, or the RR polka dot V etc...i would have no issue with sig pedals or amps as long as the tone was something that i liked.
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    I currently own a PRS Tremonti, Morley Tremonti wah, used to own an SE Tremonti. Yes, I am a fanboy, but the US Tremonti does sound really good and is easy for me to play (wide/thin neck compared to the wide/fat of the SC250 I tried before) and it has a trem. Plus if you don't like the Tremonti connection, you can just remove the truss rod cover. Also used to own two Ibanez JEMs (555WH and 7BSB), the BSB was one of the best guitars I've played, nice easy neck, the Lo-Pro Edge trem was awesome. Also in the collection are an Ibanez JS100 and a Schecter Terry Corso (Alien And Farm) 006 (my dad loves the Schecter 006 range), so I think it's safe to say I don't mind signature gear...

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Everyone seems to love the sig gear on this thread.....where's the hate?

Maybe it was all a distant dream.
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 464
    I have a Jagstang & a Mascis Squier Jazzmaster, both are discreet & nice to play (although the Jag has some tuning issues that need sorting).

Also have some Di Marzio Evo's in a Strat partscaster & find them very versatile; covered everything from Johnny Cash to Sabbath as they coil split well.