Rick Graham

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
Never heard of him until tonight.

He can shred eh.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Looks incredibly well discplined.  A lot of practise has gone into that!

Although it sounds a bit... 80's mindless, to me, it's clear he has a lot of good ideas, too - plenty of arpeggios and the like. 

I think I prefer Andy James.  Check this out, in the style of Synyster Gates.  Some insane stuff in here.  

• Or this.  Which is really stupidly nuts, yet still sounds pretty tuneful.  Great melodies, and.. er... Shred. 

Lots of shred.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Or this.  Which is really stupidly nuts, yet still sounds pretty tuneful.  Great melodies, and.. er... Shred. 

Lots of shred.

Personally not a fan of Synester Gates, but this 2nd video the lad Andy James can fair play too.

I'm no shredder these days but I much prefer that technique, even with all that tapping.   :)
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2874
    These fast dudes always impress me even though i cant shred at all. Got to respect the technique time and practise to get so feckin fast :)
  • Deijavoo said:
    Or this.  Which is really stupidly nuts, yet still sounds pretty tuneful.  Great melodies, and.. er... Shred. 

Lots of shred.

Personally not a fan of Synester Gates, but this 2nd video the lad Andy James can fair play too.

I'm no shredder these days but I much prefer that technique, even with all that tapping.   :)
    I really like him, his band Sacred Mother Tongue are pretty good, and he doesn't just use it as an outlet to shred - it's more about vocals and catchy riffs than shred.  

But boy can he play... He does a 'Play Like Steve Vai' vid that's seriously a wonderful guitar solo. 
  • Oh, and (pre sig model) he played the EMG version of my guitar.  Which is neat :)

When I first saw Protest the Hero, they had my guitar, too.  

Warm feeling.  That must be how it feels to be a Tele or LP player at every gig :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2014
    Warm feeling.  That must be how it feels to be a Tele or LP player at every gig :)
    That's a seconded motion there sir.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Meh.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    blueskunk said:
    These fast dudes always impress me even though i cant shred at all. Got to respect the technique time and practise to get so feckin fast :)

Absolutely. Utmost repect for the hours and the discipline. But of no earthly interest to me at all.

I'd rather listen to the Mrs tell me all about her mate at work Carly's dilemma about how too many anal flushings (as her chap likes to take her up the shitter, he's got a wee 'un and she's desperate) left her inconvenienced at a recent vaginal lasering (who knew?) when she started 'seeping' and was wholly unaware until the lasery woman said "Erm, Carly, you may wish to visit the ladies room........."

Carly is fucking hilarious. Lovely girl too. Shame really.

Or how grass from my boots on the kitchen flagstones is apparently the End Of The Fucking World.

Paul Gilbert's ace though. But he's got 'character'.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Plus, the guitars look nothing like a Telecaster or Esquire. Tsk.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31475

Lots of shred.

Then out there in the real world the singer says, "sorry guys, we're gonna have to do this one in a lower key" and all your open string bedroom wankery is suddenly pointless....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool;251004" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Lots of shred.

Then out there in the real world the singer says, "sorry guys, we're gonna have to do this one in a lower key" and all your open string bedroom wankery is suddenly pointless....
    He has a band, sacred mother tongue.

And it's *not* an outlet for his shred. Much more about riffs, vocals and melody :) I really like them.

He is still a real world musician. Just like Guthrie I suppose, but metal instead of jazz fusion. He loves shred, and he's paid to shred (much like Guthrie) but he does a whole lot more.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Rick Graham, he's the chap who won Guitarist of the Year a few years ago, isn't he?

In that video, there's some really nice musical ideas. It's just a shame it's lost behind all that gain and delay. Some of these ideas would sound great with a clean tone.

He's got amazing technique, his picking hand hardly moves and his left hand accuracy is incredible - look how every finger is always in exactly the right position, the economy of movement is mind-blowing.

It's probably worth buying that video for developing left/right hand coordination, accuracy and for the musical ideas even if you don't like shred.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I like Rick, he's a monster of a guitarist. Really down to earth bloke, I bought his "how I play blues guitar" bundle. Lots of really interesting ideas. He is also a trained classical guitarist.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    I seem to recall I had a bit of an argument with him. I made some comments about his final performance on GOTY on MR, but some rather more unkind (and unnecessary) ones on Rob Chapman's forum. Oddly, he followed me over to MR to have a go at me...not entirely sure why that was.

He had a point, though. He never replied after I apologised...
    <space for hire>
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559

Lots of shred.

Two things struck me about that video:

1 - 1:45 - look at his thumb and first finger while he's picking fast. He's actually using the flexing of thumb and finger to give him an extra bit of speed while picking. Clever.

2 - 4:44. Pulling that face, while doing all of that, is just plain rude.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
    Got to about 1:58 before I lost the will to go on! Great technique, but even now mere minutes later can't for the life of me think how it went, absolutely mind numbing bland.
    Rock music should be about smashing the door down rather than which key to open it with !
    That was my cantona moment!

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    Yeah I came across him a week or two ago on youtube. The dude can play.
    2 - 4:44. Pulling that face, while doing all of that, is just plain rude.
    :))
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    @digitalscream hey ho, He might have just had an off day. Surprised he'd do that, doesn't come across like he would. But we all get out of the wrong side of the bed at times. 
    But yes I'd rather listen to advice from him than Mr chapman. 

And Mr James is a walking arpeggio machine.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.