The Fretboard Guitarist Collective - Task 1 August 2013

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Wow new contributions ... I'm still at work so I will listen later or tomorrow morning. Keep 'em rolling.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    @Clare : Really like the tone on this one:warm and welcoming, sounds like it was recorded by a blazing fire on a winter's evening in a log cabin :-bd
    @RedRabbit : breathes nicely, shows confidence to leave big gaps between the phrases. The tone varies well depending on how aggressive the pick-strokes are. The lead guitar is panned quite a long way left, which sounded slightly odd in my headphones (or maybe it's my duff headphones)
    @dindude : Sounds John Mayer-ish. This is a very good thing. And a marvellous Beck-ism at 1:30. Like the pentatonic-up-a-tone scale choice.
    @Danny1969 : Great use of different registers within a lick, also like the strong major 3rd chord-tones and moving 6ths. The nod to EVH at 2:16 did stick out sore-thumb-like a bit, though, ditto 2:35. Fantastic phrasing at 3:45!
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Not sure what's going on with the panning. I thought I'd left it going straight down the middle but will give it a listen with headphones to get a better idea.
    RedRabbit said:
    Not sure what's going on with the panning. I thought I'd left it going straight down the middle but will give it a listen with headphones to get a better idea.
    Now listening to general youtube stuff through headphones & they've started crackling and hissing. I think it's much more likely to have been my headphones than your production
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27450
    bigjon said:
    @Danny1969 : Great use of different registers within a lick, also like the strong major 3rd chord-tones and moving 6ths. The nod to EVH at 2:16 did stick out sore-thumb-like a bit, though, ditto 2:35. Fantastic phrasing at 3:45!

That's a concise summary of how little I know.  "Different registers"?  "strong major 3rd"? "moving 6ths"?

;)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    bigjon said:

That's a concise summary of how little I know.  "Different registers"?  "strong major 3rd"? "moving 6ths"?

;)

"Different registers" = "Low notes and high notes next to each other" ;-)

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27450
    edited August 2013
    bigjon said
    "Different registers" = "Low notes and high notes next to each other" ;-)

:)

Thanks BJ.

I should explain that I'm more of a rhythm player, can't read music, would be guessing at notes other than EADGBE and have never spent more than a minute studying "theory".  I think my last "proper" lesson was in 1973. 

Ish. 

Might have been '72.

Can't really swim too well either, so I know all about out-of-my-depth ;)

But I'll still have a go at playing over the backing track (bet you're so looking foward to that now!!)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    edited August 2013
    My own little attempt, recorded sometime during an hour or so of jamming around with it.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    @Danny1969 sounds quite Jeff Beck in places, I approve. B-)
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Just listening to a few now.  I'm being fairly haphazard in choosing which to go for but I will get to them all in time :)

@dindude - great phrasing and tone I, for one, wouldn't of objected at all to being subjected to the full five minutes plus

@clare_bear - nice use of dynamics, the whole thing moves along nicely.  There's a touch hesitance in some of the licks but I'm sure that'll vanish in a few tasks.  Otherwise there's not much to suggest that you've not played much recently.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615

thanks for the backer Fretwired...its nice to have the jams back..:)......just had a play over it now..its the first take ...i might have another go though...great stuff ..i love the blues..:)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12447073

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Barney very nice indeed, enjoyed that, have a wow on me.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
    dindude said:
    @Danny1969 sounds quite Jeff Beck in places, I approve. B-)
    Thanks dude, played that with fingers rather than pick cos I'm a big Beck fan

@Barney : That's superb mate, loved it :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615

just having a listen to some of the others

@Clare_bear...sounding good ...some nice ideas..

@Redrabbit....nice playing ...the only thing i would work on more is the phrasing to make it great playing

@Dindude ...nice phrasing ....some great ideas..and tone

@Bigjon...i struggled hearing the backing track but you play well...nice phrasing

@Danny1969....great playing as usual....what more can i say..loved it

@redrighthand...lovley tone and playing ...i like the clean tone in blues a lot and you nailed it ..

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    So I had 3 takes and this was my favourite, not overly happy with it but there's prob 45 secs or so of decent enough stuff in there somewhere.

Now Im gonna go listen to some of you guys ones.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Barney said:

thanks for the backer Fretwired...its nice to have the jams back..:)......just had a play over it now..its the first take ...i might have another go though...great stuff ..i love the blues..:)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12447073

@Barney that's ace. 

I find that I very rapidly fall back on cliche and start boring myself with blues, but that really develops and stays interesting all the way through. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    dindude said:
    Had another blast through last night, 
    Im working my way through. I don't feel Im qualified to give advice to everyone but this has track been the stand out for me so far. Really nice work.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited August 2013
    dindude said:
    Had another blast through last night, 
    Im working my way through. I don't feel Im qualified to give advice to everyone but this has track been the stand out for me so far. Really nice work.

Ah, you obviously haven't got to Barney's effort yet then ;) but appreciate it anyhows.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    I've had a go at this as well. 

I'm proper rubbish at blues so I did three takes pick, fingerstyle, and with OD and dropped in a couple of bars of each. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26943
    Only just seen this- will have a good listen and play and (hopefully) post in a bit!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires