The Fretboard Guitarist Collective - Task 1 August 2013

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I've had a go at this as well. 

I'm proper rubbish at blues so I did three takes pick, fingerstyle, and with OD and dropped in a couple of bars of each. 

I liked that, good use of rhythmic phrasing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited August 2013
    Just had a relaxing morning with a mug of hot tea listening to the more of the entries ...

@RedRabbit - like the tone and the laid back country-blues vibe. Cool lick around the 60 second mark

@dindude - another great blues tone - cool intro lick and I liked the bluesy lick around 52 seconds. Like the way you transition from the laid back intro section into a more overdriven tone - another cool lick around 1.27

@bigjon - well done for doing a video. It should be black and white and grainy to capture that old 50s blues vibe. Some great licks and vibrato going on there .

@Danny1969 - another cool bluesy tone. Loved the intro lick and the variety in your playing from slow to fast with plenty of space and you nailed those bends and the Billy Gibbons style squeal.

@redrighthand - great Peter Green inspired tone and classic 60s British laid back blues vibe.Cool lick around 2.40.

@Barney - great recording. Cool tone and phrasing - there's plenty of emotion in your playing. Could be my favourite thius far ..

@PolarityMan - the guitar could have been higher in the mix. The tone is spot on for this type of laid  of track. Liked the lick around 1.47 and the way your playing transitioned around 3.59.

@monoquixote - there's a cool country blues vibe going on there with some nice phrasing and use of rhythm.

Have I missed anyone?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27445
    edited August 2013
    TTony said:

I should explain that I'm more of a rhythm player, can't read music, would be guessing at notes other than EADGBE and have never spent more than a minute studying "theory". 

You have been warned.

http://snd.sc/1bk2UUX

And yes, I know some of the notes belong to another track ...

;)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    @PolarityMan - the guitar could have been higher in the mix. The tone is spot on for this type of laid  of track. Liked the lick around 1.47 and the way your playing transitioned around 3.59. 

Yeah i set the volume so the loud part was right but i maybe should have brought the quiet bit up a bit....automation is for the less lazy :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    TTony said:
    TTony said:

I should explain that I'm more of a rhythm player, can't read music, would be guessing at notes other than EADGBE and have never spent more than a minute studying "theory". 

You have been warned.

http://snd.sc/1bk2UUX

And yes, I know some of the notes belong to another track ...

;)

I think you see the rhythm player in you come out in as much as you've taken a kind of motif based approach, playing a couple of variations of each idea before moving one. I like using the same approach too.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Here's my effort, I tried to build to a peak, then drop back, then build up to another peak. It just sounds like a bunch of notes to me though! Not a fan of smooth blues so I we-e-e-e-e-ell overdid the playing. :-S

I used Strat into Zoom G3 (MS Crunch with EQ to knock the bass down) into me Macbook, with monitoring via the MP3 input of my Blackstar 1W mini amp thing. Never used this stuff before, so I had fun trying it out. I have only just started taking an interest in recording, mics, PAs etc, after years of just plugging into my amp and waiting for instructions!

Overdid the reverb too! And I think the guitar is a bit quiet in the mix? Probably for the best...

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    I'm still waiting for my line 6 jobby to turn up in the post but in the mean time, has anyone tried to sync up the tempo of the track to GarageBand? I'm sure it's not necessary but I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong cos I can't match it up. Thanks
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited August 2013
    I used iPad GarageBand for mine, I just imported the MP3 as a long (non-repeated) loop on one track, turned off the click track and recorded over the top on a seperate track, no syncing required.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    dindude said:
    I used iPad GarageBand for mine, I just imported the MP3 as a long (non-repeated) loop on one track, turned off the click track and recorded over the top on a seperate track, no syncing required.

Yeah I've imported it in from the loops, I don't need to sync it for any reason really I'm just killing time till my interface turns up and I can record something. Thanks dindude
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    lovely idea guys - this will tempt me out of the woodwork over the weekend and put something (probably rubbish) down - it'll also mean getting to grips with audacity and the like

I'll also review and feedback over t' weekend
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26941
    edited August 2013
    This is mine. Just a quick one-take effort for now, and only the first 3 rounds.

(Can't work out how to get jamup or soundcloud to cut it for me and can't get either of them to talk to each other.)

EDIT: turns out I can't get the soundcloud api to appear either. Let's try again...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited August 2013
    oh god in for a penny etc.  so this is my first time etc...recording.  or sharing.  and my view

slow down boy, think about what you are doing......you can tell that I'm new to this stuff - i'm certainly going to try improvising and listening to a backing track as it must improve playing hugely.

i'll listen to others now that i have done this 

cheers
    incidentally how did you guys embed the soundcloud track in the post?
  • Grief nothing's ever easy is it? It has taken me the best part of an hour to get the WAV file into my workstation.

First, 'kin Windoze won't transfer the file by any known or believed-sane method onto the CD - in the end I put it in the Shared area of the old 2000 machine and burnt it using Roxio (remember that?).

Then the Yamaha AW16G with its wonderful User Interface designed to make things as obscure as possible takes me another aeon faffing around trying to find out how to import from a WAV on CD (I've done it before just couldn't remember how). Nothing so simple as a how-to in the User Guide.

Anyway, some time during the next 2-3 weeks I might find some time to whack some guitar bits into the machine and report back. Haven't listened to other people's efforts yet, I'd rather just get on with it without any "I must beat that" kind of thinking.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
     Roxio (remember that?).
    Sure - biggest spam-generator and all-round nuisance I've ever experienced on any computer
  • zoglugzoglug Frets: 1
    Im not at the stage to play along just yet, but have thoroughly enjoyed listening what people have posted up!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27445
    Grief nothing's ever easy is it?

It is if you've got modern-day technology ;)

iPad.  Job done ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited August 2013
    listened to some bits here and there while i should have been working - headphone in one ear

@stickyfiddle - I liked your tone and the first minute or so sounded confident with first phrasing and then the movement to the chord section before three quiet bit developed the jam nicely

@polarityman - I really liked the pick up after the quiet bit
    @Barney ;- you is de man - nice measured playing, great phrasing and nice recognition of the chords that you are playing over
    @monoquixote - lovely spanky tone and  i think your phrasing swung nicely and really fit the tune - one of the best

time to get some work done!
    oops and generally - I don't think that vibrato comes through well on most of our recordings - which is interesting

I think I'm going to record another just concentrating on vibrato and bends with vibrato as it might be that we need more vibrato than we think (if you see what I mean) 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26941
    @nickp Cheers! I think I'll have another full-length go when I get a minute :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires