Looking to get back what I paid for it ......

What's Hot
mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 505
But why? Surely, the mere fact of having been owned however briefly, means a drop in value - it may only be a few quid, but you've had it, had a go, changed your mind and all that! Or, if you're looking to get back what you paid for it, just don't say it.

Winds me up it does ..... it would help if I didn't return to the classified 15 times a day of course

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Have to agree.  Along with either "It owes me...." or folks who (despite being completely aware that mods are subjective and just as likely to decrease as increase appeal in the long term.) add the cost of mods to the cost of the guitar then tell you they are willing to let it go for a bit less, which is still more that it's original price.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Agree with you both, never understood why anyone should justify a sale with this. Pompous twuts

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    And, what if you paid over the going rate for it?  Or what if the going rate has changed?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Thanks for calling me a "Pompous twunt"... nice.

So let me get this straight - if I buy I guitar secondhand, I have to sell it for less than I paid for it to not be a "Pompous Twunt"? Then the next guy buys it and sells it on and makes a loss... and then the next and then the next... eventually the guitar changes hands for a minus sum, yes? And that's how it works with a vintage guitar?

I've used "it owes me" in the text of ads to illustrate why I think its worth £x and isn't it normal to want to get back as much as possible when selling something or do you earn so much money that you can give your stuff away without noticing it in your wallet? 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2014

impmann said:

Then the next guy buys it and sells it on and makes a loss... and then the next and then the next... eventually the guitar changes hands for a minus sum, yes? And that's how it works with a vintage guitar?

By the time it's changed hands that many times I think it's safe to say we've established that it's a piece of crap. ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I tend to see it from people who have bought second hand and not gelled with an instrument. Presumably the guitars value should be similar if it's being sold a few weeks after somebody purchased it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    /\ Exactly. :-) That's how I've used it. And tbh, in those cases I have usually ended up taking less just to get a sale... its just a starting point, in many cases.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17585
    tFB Trader
    I've used the term and in general I'm referring to my selling it at less than I normally would because that's what I paid for it.

A couple of times I've taken a punt on something on the classifieds because it was advertised dead cheap. When i've got it and found it's not for me I feel like it's a bit of a dick move to stick it back up on the classifieds at more than I paid for it so I'd say "It owes me £50" or similar. Meaning that's what I paid so that's what I'm asking, no offers etc.

I don't see what's wrong with it.

Trying to sell something for more than it's secondhand value because you got ripped off is idiotic, but I don't think that's what people are doing in the main.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I might think it if I was selling but I wouldn't write it. I find it a bit annoying.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Sell stuff for what ever you can, justification like this smacks of I don't see why I should lose out.

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    "Looking to get back what I paid for it ......" makes a lot more sense than "Looking to get back what I paid for it plus an arbitrary 2.5K"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2014

How often do you see the term "looking to get back what I paid for it" to describe an item someone got cheap and as a result wants to pass on the saving to the next owner as they just don't get on with it? 

It never seems to be applied to items that appreciate in value either.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Does it matter?     For me the more people write in an ad, the more I get a feel for the seller and the instrument.

The bottom line is it's something you're interested in, at a price that's good enough to start negotiations or not.  If not then why get wound up - just leave them to it. 

If it's a used guitar that's only been owned a short period of time then it's a reasonable thing to say but I'm not going to pass up a good buy because of the wording in an ad...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm with @impmann. If its used, and forum-bought I'd want roughly the same, though I'd accept a small loss.

Although if it's an otherwise new piece of kit, there should be depreciation.

I've been on classifieds for fishing forums and you wouldn't believe what people ask. Nor what numpties pay! Someone wanted 45 quid for a rod that you can get new... Including postage... For 48 quid.

And it sold!
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Hi

I'm selling an Imperial Code for parts and technical crew for the forest moon. It's an older code but it checks out.. many Bothan's died getting this code, hoped it was worth the price they paid.. buuut it's not me, it's great but... I've only used it once ... kinda looking to get the price I paid for it... 49 Bothans and two light cruisers... willing to trade for a squadron of A wings with Sullustani pilots... NO GUNGANS I AM NOT INTERESTED...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    impmann said:
    /\ Exactly. :-) That's how I've used it. And tbh, in those cases I have usually ended up taking less just to get a sale... its just a starting point, in many cases.

Best bet is to ignore holier than thou threads like this. 

People are free to ask any price they like with whatever justification they choose - the market will decide if it sells or not. If I could be arsed, it might be interesting to look for for sale ads from those who think it's their right to be offended by the advertised price of something they have no interest in buying. 

I've had it both ways on the classifieds - been told that some stuff is not worth the asking price and then that I'm not asking enough for something else - despite it not selling at the asking price. And I'm not talking about vintage gear that I don't know the value of, I'm talking about quibbling over a tenner on a modern pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
    I really don't care if the asking price is fair.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    edited May 2014
    And @Stickyfiddle wins. 
     +1

If it sells, it sells. Completely up to the seller to decide how to word the ad.

And evidence shows that if it's a stupid price, we'll be quick to let him/her know or everyone will just ignore the sale.

Honestly, some of us seem to seek out ways to be offended!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1299
    I don't mind people charging what they paid for it themselves, but honestly the phrase is probably more off-putting than encouraging, to me.
    A fair price is a fair price, I'm a firm believer in only asking what I would (or would have) paid myself, when I sell something, and I will walk away from any seller if I feel they're not doing the same.  I feel like the second hand market is a buyer's market, but the arrival of ebay et-al has slightly altered that imo.

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Chuffola;251422" said:
    And @Stickyfiddle wins.  +1

If it sells, it sells. Completely up to the seller to decide how to word the ad.

And evidence shows that if it's a stupid price, we'll be quick to let him/her know or everyone will just ignore the sale.

Honestly, some of us seem to seek out ways to be offended!
    Last minute goal from @Chuffola
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom