NCLPTGD (New cheapo Les Paul type guitar day!)

freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
Some of you may recall my recent post asking for advice on buying a cheap Les Paul type guitar. Well after much searching on Ebay and Gumtree I settled on this one which was described by the seller as a Samick (see more below) and set me back all of £80. It's finished in cherry sunburst and has a set neck. It's had a few knocks but I have managed to polish out most of the scratches. It has alnico II humbuckers and grover machine heads which were installed by the previous owner and I rectified the faulty pickup switch with a deft dab of the soldering iron. I have never played a Les Paul before so I can't offer any sensible comparisons but, having owned various not so cheap guitars, I can say that it plays and sounds far better than you might expect. Great action and it stays in tune which is always a bonus! 

It has a circled S logo on the headstock and no other means of identification. I have spent a while searching on the web and I've only found 3 other guitars with the same logo, 2 of which were described as a Samick. I found an identical model on another forum and the members, including a former Samick dealer, agreed that it was a Samick. I know Samick have used various logos on their guitars, including a circled S, but not the same font as the one on mine. In fact the S on mine looks very much like the S on some Stagg LP guitars but I have been unable to confirm the identity. Also the pre Greg Bennett Samick LPs have a much blunter horn that kind goes out on a flat sideways trajectory. Here's a pic of mine. Can anyone help with the ID? It's only a matter of curiosity since I'm really happy with the guitar anyway. 
Link to my trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    Nice :D

It looks vaguely familiar but i can't put my finger on it :))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    Samick make or have made for many other companies, always normally regarded as well built, nice playing guitars. Think you've got a right bargain and a looker too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom