Do you use isolation devices for your amps at gigs?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4945
This question is directed at those who play the bigger venues.  Some equipment, especially valve kit, is microphonic so is it necessary to isolate this kit from the stage/speaker cabs?  I have always thought that siting an amplifier on top of a 4 * 12 cab is probably the worst place to put it due to the possibility of vibration from the cab shaking up the delicate electronics and valves in the amp.  In the world of hi-fi with much lower SPLs, the gains to be had from the use of either isolation devices or spikes which couple the equipment to the stand is far from subtle.  I wonder if this is a factor in the bigger arenas.

But then Jimi and Robbo/Gorham plonked their amps on top of the cabs and the sounds were 'not too bad'.......
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    edited May 2014
    I don't think it matters that much. Sure, at high volume combos can rattle a bit but it's all part of the charm isn't it? And once you're using a head/ cab you've likely got rubber feet at which point the isolation is enough that microphonic tube rattle is a bit of a non issue.

I suppose though I don't think of valve amps as being very delicate. Any gains you might have from isolating them from a bit of cab vibration is going to be eclipsed the first time an idiot roadie throws your flightcased amp off the stage.:D, or indeed you drive over a pot hole on the way back from the venue.  Maybe if it was an axe or kemper sitting atop a rattling 4x12 at high volume I'd give it a second thought.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    I think the inevitable valve microphonics in a combo are one of the reasons I tend to prefer them to heads - it gives a bit of extra life to the sound. A 4x12" doesn't really vibrate on top much by comparison.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    Only isolation i get is when band tells me to turn it down! 13w can be too loud for some gigs. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

My speakers on top of my amp at gigs :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I used too fold the soft cover and place in under the marshall just in case. These days the amp stays in the bottom of the flight case stood atop the speaker cab.

Not had any problems yet, but then it's onlt three decades so the jury is still out.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    We wrote a new song which is in an unusual key for us, this prompted the other guitarist to have to put his head on the floor next to the cab because it always makes the head vibrate right off the cab. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    At big gigs the only sound which matters is that tiny patch of speaker cone in front of the Mic. It's very close and very loud, so whatever the hell else is rattling/falling apart/exploding/catching fire is almost irrelevant as long as it vaguely hangs together.

I guess we've all had combos with rattly valves, they're irritating at home but onstage they don't matter that much within reason.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    p90fool said:
    At big gigs the only sound which matters is that tiny patch of speaker cone in front of the Mic. It's very close and very loud, so whatever the hell else is rattling/falling apart/exploding/catching fire is almost irrelevant as long as it vaguely hangs together.

I guess we've all had combos with rattly valves, they're irritating at home but onstage they don't matter that much within reason.

Spot on.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom