MIC Burny's

What's Hot
Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
Does/Has anyone owned one of these and what are they like?  As stated in my Vintage "paradise" guitar thread I'm looking to get an LP on a limited budget (around £750) but it'd have to be a place where I can use a credit card so classified's etc wouldn't be an option ;)

What are your thoughts on MIC Burny's and MIC LP's in general?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Go Edwards

and order from Ishibashi ;-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    +1 on the Edwards..

Though you can use your credit card with paypal and hit the classifieds with style....

• gilbygilby Frets: 176
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what they've said^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Used, greco, jap' tokai (or burny). The little guitar shop in birmingham usually have a few on their website.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    You could use your credit card to pay anyone via PayPal, just log out of your account and use the "don't have PayPal option"
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 960
    Dunno about the mic ones but I bought a secondhand mij one a few years ago 2nd hand for £450, a set of bk pickups, again second hand for about £130. Lot of guitar for that cash.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    There's a Burny LP Special copy for £449 in the shop I work for if you're interested, but to be honest for £750 you could easily get a very nice second hand Gibson Les Paul Studio, even from a shop.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    ICBM said:
    There's a Burny LP Special copy for £449 in the shop I work for if you're interested, but to be honest for £750 you could easily get a very nice second hand Gibson Les Paul Studio, even from a shop.
    Are LP Studio's a better bet then?  Last one I had was a 2008 and the fingerboard seemed to have been over-zealously shaved so was a little short on the bass side.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    You have to take every Gibson on its own merits - or lack of! They're very variable.

QC and consistency for the Japanese brands is higher, but they never seem to quite have the tone or the feel of the real thing, at least to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431

ICBM said:
    You have to take every Gibson on its own merits - or lack of! They're very variable.

QC and consistency for the Japanese brands is higher, but they never seem to quite have the tone or the feel of the real thing, at least to me.
    I know what you mean, I had one of the first LP trads and I've always, always regretted selling it.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    70s or 80s Greco from Meestursparkle, Katana or similar on eBay. Job done.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    edited May 2014
    Having tried a few Chinese Burny's from the sadly defunct Oxford Music Gallery, I'd avoid them like the plague. For that budget you can easily get a s/h Jap Tokai LS85 or even 120 !, or even an Epiphone Elite .
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    For £750 I'd be looking at a Gibson Les Paul Studio personally (could probably be cheaper).

Try a WTB on the classified here and see what comes up. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • mrkj2000mrkj2000 Frets: 17
    Definitely go used 70s 80s Japanese .
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    edited May 2014

£749 -  ex demo Gibson LP studio in a shop with guarantee. 

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=14041717243249