Questions About PRS Guitars

What's Hot
asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
For over 40 years I have played only Fender Strats,so now I am thinking I would like a change. I have been looking at a Custon 22 with Trem. As I know nothing about PRS I would like to know. How do they compare to Fender? Are they built mainly a for Overdrive Playing? Can they sound good played clean? Thanks Alan
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    The body woods and pickups here will make a difference. We're talking probably Alder or Ash body, bolt on 25.5 scale maple neck with single coils and a 5 way selector for a strat, However, a PRS is mahogany body, 25 scale mahogany neck and 2 humbuckers.

There's a lot in there that means if you're after the quintessential quack of positions 2&4 from a strat, you'll not get that perfectly with the PRS.

However, PRS clean sounds still sound good, just different.

Can't remember if the CU22 has a coil tap, but if it does, that might help a little. A PRS isn't 'designed' for overdrive really, and has some great tones in it, as does a strat.

Hope that helps
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    I too am someone who used to play Strats all of the time, but now play a PRS. 

The Custom 22 was conceived as a halfway house between a Strat and a Gibson type guitar so although it's not quite like playing a Fender it's less of a jump than moving to a Les Paul. They generally sound equally good clean and driven IMO. 

One thing you will notice is that the scale length is slightly shorter on most PRS guitars (half way between Fender and Gibson) which will make it feel a little bendier. 

There are some PRS guitars that have a Fender scale length like the 513 if that's a problem for you. 

Other models that might be less of a jump for someone who is used to playing a Fender are the CE & EG models which have bolt on maple necks. 

You should also make sure you try the different neck profiles. The Wide Thin/Pattern Thin neck is a bit more like a Fender "Modern C" neck while the Wide Fat/Pattern neck is a bit chunkier.

I love my PRS, they are awesome guitars.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited May 2014

To me a 22 fret, double cutaway, set-neck PRS is (be that a Custom, a McCarty, or other more upmarket variants) is the nearest to a Les Paul that I can cope with, as someone who only used to play a Strat.

Though (as @Monquixote said) they are something of a half-way house between the two, the 22 fret models are much fatter sounding than the 24 fret versions. The thicker bodied ones (McCarty/DGT, etc) are fatter sounding still.

Its true that their single-coil tones aren't as 'snappy' as a Strat - the wood combination, set-neck construction, scale length and bridge/trem design all play a part in this - but they are a real Swiss Army Knife. A Strat and a Les Paul can't convincingly cover each other's territory - but within the context of a band mix, a PRS can. Yes it may be a compromise but it is a highly musical one, which is superbly ergonomic.

The 'they are for dentists' brigade will try to tell you they are all bling and no substance; they are not. They are brilliantly designed and beautifully built guitars. Whether they are for you - only you can really judge.

• wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    I too am someone who used to play Strats all of the time, but now play a PRS. 

The Custom 22 was conceived as a halfway house between a Strat and a Gibson type guitar so although it's not quite like playing a Fender it's less of a jump than moving to a Les Paul. They generally sound equally good clean and driven IMO. 

One thing you will notice is that the scale length is slightly shorter on most PRS guitars (half way between Fender and Gibson) which will make it feel a little bendier. 

There are some PRS guitars that have a Fender scale length like the 513 if that's a problem for you. 

Other models that might be less of a jump for someone who is used to playing a Fender are the CE & EG models which have bolt on maple necks. 

You should also make sure you try the different neck profiles. The Wide Thin/Pattern Thin neck is a bit more like a Fender "Modern C" neck while the Wide Fat/Pattern neck is a bit chunkier.

I love my PRS, they are awesome guitars.
    The 513 isn't Strat scale length - it's 25 1/4" ;) The 305 is 25.5" though

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    wibble said:
    The 513 isn't Strat scale length - it's 25 1/4" ;) The 305 is 25.5" though

Ah so it is. 

I played one and it felt like strat scale so I assumed it was. Weird that they do a 25.25"
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The CU22 I used to have I easily the best gigging guitar I have owned. You´ll love it, its a way of life....
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    Not played a 513. I can notice the difference in scale length between a Strat and an LP but I'm not sure I could notice the 1/4" difference.
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited May 2014
    asimmd said:
    For over 40 years I have played only Fender Strats,so now I am thinking I would like a change. I have been looking at a Custon 22 with Trem. As I know nothing about PRS I would like to know. How do they compare to Fender? Are they built mainly a for Overdrive Playing? Can they sound good played clean? Thanks Alan

Check out youtube for plenty of PRS vids, Johnny Hilland and Brent Mason are both big advocates of 'clean' PRS sounds. The Brent Mason sig guitar looks(sounds) very nice too......My McCarty gets very nice Hendrix like sounds on the coil tap settings

• asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Thanks for the info,I am going to have to try one next week.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    As mainly a strat player over the years, I found myself more comfortable on the ce24. I prefer the percussive nature of the bolt on neck, im not really into set necks though