Hipshot Ultralite tuning heads

fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24202
Just stuck a set on my Sandberg, and lost over 1/2 lb in weight.

No neck dive anymore and for a solid alder body bass (which was already a very average 10 lb) it is now almost lightweight as far as 5 stringers go.

Dead easy to fit, only 1 little hole to drill per tuner and seem to be really well made. 

I have 1 other bass with big old heavy tuners on it - my jap Precision. I may well get a set for that as well.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    You had me at 'No neck dive anymore...'. As the owner of a Epi EB-0 to EB-3 conversion I have been pondering how to stop the head stock from cracking me on the knee when I take my hand off the neck. Where did you get the feather weight tuners?
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24202
    http://www.axesrus.co.uk/1-x-Hipshot-HB-6Y-UltraLite-Bass-Machine-Head-p/20655c.htm

You'll need to take off one existing tuner to measure the hole underneath to make sure you get the right size. If you weigh 1 existing tuner you can also work out how much weight you can save.

Even between the clover key and Y key shapes there is a difference in weight. My Sandberg came with traditional clover keys, but the ultralite Y keys were about 8grams lighter than the Ultralite clover ones.

So I picked the lightest option even though it didn't look like the originals.

Don't worry about finding Left or Right tuners - the Ultralites are reversible, so you can just buy a set of 4 and turn 2 round yourself.

You can get ones that look much more like the original ones (bigger gear on the back etc) which are heavier than Ultralites - but my view is - lighter the better! 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    They are nice, and not too expensive either.

Discussion bookmarked for future reference, thanks  :)

tFB Trader
    Thanks @fretmeister, I will size the existing tuners and get myself a set. 
    tFB Trader
    For what it is worth, an Epi EB-0 requires 1/2 inch tuners.  
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7754
    I've got four Schaller light weight tuners in black here somewhere - bought for a build but never used.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister