First rehearsal of the year Sunday.

What's Hot
koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
Had one last Nov I think as well, don't want you thinking we don't rehearse.
But we have to learn a few new songs, and tighten up a few old ones to bring them back into set.
We tend to pick songs and put them onto a spotify list which we can all edit, after a while any songs someone does not want to do, they get dropped. What we are left with is a range of songs everyone wants to do, and we start to learn those. Often they are tried out in a sound check and if it works we do it that night.
How do you boys dictate new songs and how they get into the set.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
    edited June 2014
    Well five new songs for the set, does anyone else practice at such low volume as us.
    I took my sons Peavey Rage and two electrics one for slide etc. Drums were played with hot rods, Acoustic unplugged and vocals through an 8"active monitor. 
    We could hear everything each other did, and rectify small issues. 2 hours 5 songs, well worth it. Do it again next year I think!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    The Ska I play with had their annual full band rehearsal last week ahead of the wedding season. The rhythm section, of which I am a member (!!) get together around the drummer's house and run through probably 4 or 5 times a year. We use an electronic kit and DI the bass and guitar.

The Blues/Soul band I play in have had a couple of rehearsals this year, once for the benefit of a friend of mine who was depping on bass. I quite like the frisson of throwing new songs into a set without rehearsal; for example we played "Nickel and a Nail" at our last gig without rehearsal and it we nailed it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think the benefits of this is you listen to each other more and use more eye contact.
    Too many bands I know have multiple rehearsals and just learn their parts robot like, and when something or someone makes a slight mistake it all comes crashing down.
    Glad I am not the only one
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Amatures practice until they get it right, professionals practice until they can't get it wrong. Hi Taff (Koneguitarist)! ;-)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    My old 8 piece soul band was 'flats' drums and hot rods or thin sticks, whilst the rest were practice amps, minimum volume dictated by the horns so vocals and keys via a pair of wedges and a mini mixer atop the rack. We had occasional vocal only sessions in a house to get harmonies right, acoustic guitar or piano and naked voices.

Current country/rock outfit, in the singers front room. Drummer has a pair of hot rods on a pair of bongos! singer acoustic guitar and me/bass share 20w practice amp, again naked voices (as a threesome).

Amatures practice until they get it right, professionals practice until they can't get it wrong. Hi Taff (Koneguitarist)! ;-)

We are neither so don't matter ! You should know me by now Paul!