0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    Unfortunately, no (I do love a bossa).
    :(

It does have Star Trek samples, though!
    :)
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    I have avoided this challenge, I didnt want to but I just feel that the limitations relating to technicality was something I wasnt comfortable with, I just don't " know" all of the notes in chords and for me that would be the challenge in itself, then I have to write a piece with it.

I am however looking forward to hearing what does get produced by the entrants.. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    thecolourbox;279049" said:
    [quote="Adam_MD;275849"]I've had a few ideas but nothing I like and nothing which has used all the chords yet. I also don't do very well with instrumental pieces I find it easier to write songs instead.
    it doesn't have to be instrumental? I did vocals for the last one, and i cant sing or write songs, no excuses![/quote]

My drone had vocals as well
    thecolourbox;279049" said:
    [quote="Adam_MD;275849"]I've had a few ideas but nothing I like and nothing which has used all the chords yet. I also don't do very well with instrumental pieces I find it easier to write songs instead.
    it doesn't have to be instrumental? I did vocals for the last one, and i cant sing or write songs, no excuses![/quote]

The time allowed will make it an instrumental for me. I used vocals in the last one as well but struggle to write short songs. I've tried and always end up making them longer. I've been playing today and have something I like but need to fit the bmaj7 in somewhere.
    Entry submitted.
    <:-P
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Very much looking forward to hearing it. Complete with Star Trek samples :)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9695
    Looking forward to hearing this one, I'm not entering as I can't play 7th chords very well but good luck to those that are, should be as interesting as ever
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Looking forward to hearing this one, I'm not entering as I can't play 7th chords very well but good luck to those that are, should be as interesting as ever

The second and fourth shapes here (on the top four strings) aren't too difficult for the Bmaj7

Ha I know but I've always resisted practising the shapes on guitar due to my memories of 7th chords from my piano days, and the music I associate with it haha looking forward to hearing others' pieces though
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    My favourite moveable maj7 is using the finger position for a minor grab chord on the bottom 4 strings and wrapping your thumb around to play the 6th string. So for a gmaj7 you'd play a bmin on the bottom 4 strings and wrap your thumb around to play a G on the 6th string muting out the 5th string. It's a very natural shape and moves nicely up and down the neck.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    spark240 said:
    I have avoided this challenge, I didnt want to but I just feel that the limitations relating to technicality was something I wasnt comfortable with, I just don't " know" all of the notes in chords and for me that would be the challenge in itself, then I have to write a piece with it.

I am however looking forward to hearing what does get produced by the entrants.. 

I feel very similarly. I did want to come up with something and have started, several times.

I just find that constantly having to check if I haven't used a "forbidden" note in a bassline or keyboard part is frustrating and it takes all the joy out of making music for me. I realise that being forced to use a restricted palette of colours can be a massive aid to creativity and in some cases I have found that to be the case. What's odd is that I'm fine with it for the main guitar parts, it's just adding other things where I find it a pain!

Still, it's important to learn from these things. I realise that I like making music that is quite free and not some kind of technical exercise based on restricted harmonic content. This cuts both ways: it's hard to feel restricted because you can't use a chromatic passing note in a bass line or add scale tones to a chord backing (guitars or keys) but it's also frustrating to feel that you have to use a certain extra chord.

Music isn't really free though, just free-er I suppose. There's 12 notes to choose from for most of us, finite combinations of those notes, yet more finite those that do fit together (I'm yet to hear an augmented 11th interval followed by a fall of a minor 5th work well). Just think if it as the equivalent of base 5 maths
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Bugger, I'm runing out of time for this. I've got tracks to learn for a band rehearsal on Sunday....plus I'm away on a work thing thursday night and out at a gig Friday....(excuses building up)....so I might be out for this one :-(

If I get the kids to bed early enough on Monday night I might have a final try...but that's a long shot.

• Still got 2 weeks left my little chums!
    Old Is Gold
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Still got 2 weeks left my little chums!
    Really....oh yeah....woops, I got the weeks mixed up.

Hurrah.....back in the game!
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    Music isn't really free though, just free-er I suppose. There's 12 notes to choose from for most of us, finite combinations of those notes, yet more finite those that do fit together (I'm yet to hear an augmented 11th interval followed by a fall of a minor 5th work well). Just think if it as the equivalent of base 5 maths
    I realise this. It's just that I'm not a very accomplished musician. That's why I've always struggled to learn anything remotely jazzy - I've usually no idea whether I'm playing a chord tone or not! 
    I wasn't complaining btw. Just agreeing with someone that the parameters of this particular challenge don't seem to be floating my boat. That's more of a reflection upon my lack of determination. I guess I just prefer the "write a theme for a Belgian food processor TV commercial from 1983" type tasks to the "use only chord tones from F#m11>E#7-11>Hmaj7 neutral" ones. 
    I know I'm the same haha just thought it might help with a different approach! Good luck
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Finally got something recorded last night. Need to add a melody line (probably keyboards for this) and then mix it to make it more interesting.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282
    I'm with those who don;t like this challenge. I think writing music like this is artistically bankrupt and just encourages pointless widdling rather than actually writing songs. I did consider entering a protest entry that was either spoken word or a drum solo or something like that but not sure I can be arsed :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityMan;287846" said:
    I'm with those who don;t like this challenge. I think writing music like this is artistically bankrupt and just encourages pointless widdling rather than actually writing songs. I did consider entering a protest entry that was either spoken word or a drum solo or something like that but not sure I can be arsed :D
    I would normally agree, but having heard some of the entries I can they they are very much real songs and very good ones at that.

Old Is Gold