'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9986
    tFB Trader
    Gonna be soon ... just ironing out the bugs ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gonna be soon ... just ironing out the bugs ...
    :D
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Sweeeeeeeeeeet.
    edited April 2014 tFB Trader
    The latest project in the workshop: a pair of tapped Scrapyard Dog Plus units for @Gagaryn
    Not tapped using the sane methods of course ... oh no ... using the bonkers vintage seventies Gibson Norlin era long and separate tap wire!

Well mate, you'll get skinned knuckles installing these :-) but they'll do the job.

Note ... these will get pukka gold plated nickel covers ... but I always put gold plated slug poles in ... just in case the customer should want 'uncovered some day ... and cos I know they're there and the job's done right.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

Cheers Ash, early finish for me tomorrow, macaroni pie then an hour's geetar gynecology. :-)

edited April 2014
    The latest project in the workshop: a pair of tapped Scrapyard Dog Plus units for @Gagaryn
    Not tapped using the sane methods of course ... oh no ... using the bonkers vintage seventies Gibson Norlin era long and separate tap wire!

Well mate, you'll get skinned knuckles installing these :-) but they'll do the job.

Note ... these will get pukka gold plated nickel covers ... but I always put gold plated slug poles in ... just in case the customer should want 'uncovered some day ... and cos I know they're there and the job's done right.

And here they are in situ - 
    imageI have to say I couldn't be happier with them. They replace a pair of really high output Series 7 (often described as covered Dirty Fingers) pickups which sounded really muddy unsplit and too shrill when split. They were ceramic and measured 16.5k bridge, 16k neck. I changed the loom for a 50's spec one instead of the weird one the guitar originally had and it made the pups sound even worse! The Scrapyard Dog +'s measure 12.5k bridge and 10.5k neck and sound immense, even when split. This is my real surprise actually - I never thought that a split humbucker could sound anything other than compromised when split - these sound great!

The confusing wiring led to one wee issue though - when the pups are switched to the middle position they are out of phase. I spoke with Ash (top geezer) and I was going to return one pup to have them put into phase but I've now been playing this guitar almost constantly for 3 days and think I might keep it this way. In the middle position, as soon as either volume pot is rolled off a little, the out of phase sound diminishes, the sound gets thicker, and the volume increases back to 'normal'. I might just have got the best of both worlds.

So, this was my first purchase from Ash and I'm sure it won't be my last. I'm a happy chappy!
    We managed an unintentional Peter Green moment ... hey ho ... :-)

Glad you're pleased ... they were fun to do ... guitar looks cracking too!

It's been non-stop Peter Green in here for the last few days.:-) I just need to get those lovely gold covers looking a bit older to match the rest of the guitar - my sweaty paws should achieve that pretty quickly.
    tFB Trader
    Sadly gold never lasts long ... they will relic out pretty quickly I assure you ... I have to handle all gold parts with cotton gloves before sending out ... or I start the process too early for some :-(

• nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    Received my pickups from ash on Wednesday and I must say what a star Ash is ,I emailed him asking for his suggestion for a project I am doing and he come up trumps. The are a blitz spirits for the neck a triples blues for the middle and a custom wound ceramic blade pickup . Can wait to try them but have to build the guitar before I can. Cheers dazz http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk170/nutbox76/Mobile Uploads/20140423_200442_zpstxvdowxy.jpg
    tFB Trader
    Yon ceramic blade beastie is the new Oil City Havoc. Three ... yes three ceramic magnets, taller than standard bobbins for treble bite, blades for smooth mids and about 15k resistance.

And he said: "Go forth and wear your guitar low my son ... for I have made for you a mighty, copper wound weapon to smite the listening flaps of the unbeliever ... "

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheGuitarWeasel;222126" said:
    Yon ceramic blade beastie is the new Oil City Havoc. Three ... yes three ceramic magnets, taller than standard bobbins for treble bite, blades for smooth mids and about 15k resistance.

And he said: "Go forth and wear your guitar low my son ... for I have made for you a mighty, copper wound weapon to smite the listening flaps of the unbeliever ... "
    Hello hello... ;)
    tFB Trader
    The original prototype that is now squatting in the back end of my Vintage Modified Tele ...

• TheGuitarWeasel;222781" said:
    The original prototype that is now squatting in the back end of my Vintage Modified Tele ...
    Is this the little surprise you had in mind for me?

It sounds like a rocking demon pickup. :D

Why 3 magnets? I know nout about pickups...
    That is indeed the surprise!
    The infamous Gibson Dirty Fingers humbucker had three magnets ... as do some Bill Laurence high output ones. It gives MAHOOSIVE ammounts of raw power without having to over-wind too much.
    However, whereas the Dirtry Fingers is a tad muddy, this one is very clear ... and splits nicely of course.

• Awesome :D looking forward to throwing my money at your face.

Well, PayPal account.
  • nutboxnutbox Frets: 34

I can't wait to get my guitar built and try it out. Cheers dazz
  • LeemacLeemac Frets: 2
    Here is my PRS now powered by Oil City Pickups, Scrapyard Dog+ in the neck and a Venom-V2 (If I am remembering correctly) in the bridge.

http://imgur.com/a/Wcx0u

You may experience a few problems with the neck pickup height when installing into a set necked PRS, this is caused by having fairly long pole piece screws but can be easily fixed by swapping them out for shorter ones.

I haven't had chance to try them out loud yet but so far so good at a lower volume, the customer service from Ash is excellent and he will always get back to you on the same day (usually in less than an hour), he shortened a set of screws for the neck pickup over the easter holidays and posted them out on the first working day at no extra cost, can't ask for more than that!

A big +1 from me!
    PRS Fanboy
    tFB Trader
    I think I may have to offer a special pole piece length option on my site ... especially for PRS users.
    The guitar looks superb ... I really to warm to road worn PRSs

• Hiya Ash!

So I've got the money for some pickups coming in next week, I need 2 uncovered humbuggies that'll be screwed straight into the wood with some mousemat padding the bottom for adjustment. 

Hard rock ranging from classic-ish voice up to proper mental is the order of the day.  Neck pickup split is important :) bridge will be nice, but not exactly crucial.

What you got in mind? A bladey thing? :D