'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited May 2014
    I recently got a set of scrapyard dog plus. They are classic voiced, hottish and split brilliantly. I'd certainly give them some consideration - they are superb!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    Hi ash. I'm after a tele neck pickup for a thinline partscaster build I'm working on. I'm going for a humbucker in the bridge and want something with a similar output in the neck, but the clarity of a good vintage Strat neck PU. Any ideas? I.want it uncovered too for aesthetics. :)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10254
    tFB Trader
    Hiya Ash!

So I've got the money for some pickups coming in next week, I need 2 uncovered humbuggies that'll be screwed straight into the wood with some mousemat padding the bottom for adjustment. 

Hard rock ranging from classic-ish voice up to proper mental is the order of the day.  Neck pickup split is important :) bridge will be nice, but not exactly crucial.

What you got in mind? A bladey thing? :D
    Will PM you
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

tFB Trader
    Hi ash. I'm after a tele neck pickup for a thinline partscaster build I'm working on. I'm going for a humbucker in the bridge and want something with a similar output in the neck, but the clarity of a good vintage Strat neck PU. Any ideas? I.want it uncovered too for aesthetics. :)
    Well you could persuade me to make you a 'topless' Hardman ... basically a 9.5k Tele neck pickup but with no cover, and simply tape wrapped around the coil. It'll be mega clear with no cover at all.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TheGuitarWeasel;229186" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Hiya Ash!

So I've got the money for some pickups coming in next week, I need 2 uncovered humbuggies that'll be screwed straight into the wood with some mousemat padding the bottom for adjustment. 

Hard rock ranging from classic-ish voice up to proper mental is the order of the day.  Neck pickup split is important :) bridge will be nice, but not exactly crucial.

What you got in mind? A bladey thing? :D

Will PM you
    Sweet! :D
    tFB Trader
    Hummmmm just had to move this thread from 'making and modding' ... is there some skullduggery afoot????

• Hummmmm just had to move this thread from 'making and modding' ... is there some skullduggery afoot????
    There is!

See @GSPBASSES thread, he was pretty confused, too, and a whole page has disappeared.  :( 

tFB Trader
    Have we been hacked ... or have the 'modmins' been smoking too much weed? :-)

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    I got bored one night and wrote a random category generator. Just keeping you guys on your toes.

More seriously, this does appear to be a bit of a problem, so I'll try to figure it out when I've got some time. I've got a couple of days off this week, which should provide ample opportunity for fiddling in the guts of this monster.
    <space for hire>
    edited May 2014 tFB Trader
    Would any of you chaps be interested in traditional Gretsch sized versions of my Cow-T-Ron humbuckers? My Gibson sized ones have sold well and will continue to be made, but I have happened across a supplier of nice covers ... miniature versions of my Cow-T-Ron standards ... which I could initially offer in 'English mount' to use gretsch or TV Jones mounting rings ... and possibly also in 'screw mount' for Cabronita style builds (still working on the tooling for converting the covers to that).
    They would have the proper 1/4 inch thick 'monster' fifties style magnets, and be wound exactly as my normal Cow-T-Ron Standards and Supers: that is ... just like a fifties pickup!
    Price would probably be around £70 - £80 each ...
    A prototype is being made at the moment, and pics will be up soon.

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I'll play!
    tFB Trader
    I've been cheesed off at not being able to offer anything that looks more traditional than my Standards and Supers. Still won't be 'curved top' like my Supers ... and may require the adjustment of corners on Cabronita mounts (as the radius will be tighter- more like a Firebird pickup) so will suit new builds better than conversions.

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    That sounds like another interesting option to explore, both sonically and aesthetically.

When I finally get round to experimenting with pickups and switching, I will have those on my list too !

Nice option IMO.   :)

edited May 2014 tFB Trader
    The rough prototype for the 'lug-less' one. Yes I know it looks familliar ... it shares the same cover as a well known Korean make ... but doesn't share the same crappy internal build quality ... machine windings, or a nasty wee ceramic magnet nestled sidewinder style between the bobbins (all wrong for a 'Tron')

tFB Trader
    Customers have done quite interesting things with my pickups with my pickups .... some have even used them in guitars even
    A 16k bass humbucker ...

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Aaaaaaaah yes. Just like that.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Great to see you last night Ash - got the pickup fitted - sounds goodand looks neat
    It does have an old Maxon/Univox vibe about it, but liking the look.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great to see you last night Ash - got the pickup fitted - sounds goodand looks neat
    It does have an old Maxon/Univox vibe about it, but liking the look.

Oh my, that looks great. And I love the look of the case on that bridge pickup!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    This is the start (or rather ongoing work) of something new that Ash has in the works and wil unfold in due time.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    The zebra and nickel humbucker in the bridge is awesome.