'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• Hi there Ash,

Its Will here from Sunny Cheshire... i got a bridge p90 from you in May(ish) for my guitar build. You directed me to this forum when i was having some build issues!

Finally got it wired in yesterday and OMFG (as the kids say)! Its Amazing! Just right amount of clarity and raucousness!

I'd love to send you some pics... where would be the best place to post them on this blog...

I can email some to you as well if you want decent copies for your records.

:-)

Thanks Again,

Will 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9988
    tFB Trader
    That would be mega cool! Some here and some e mailed ... I love pics ... and glad you like :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• will20fitzwill20fitz Frets: 4
    edited July 2014
    Here you go Ash,

The pretty much finished article... just a bit more oil on the back of the neck!

Korina Body with Bubinga facing. Maple, Padauk and Ebony veneer neck with varigated Ebony fingerboard.

One awesome Oil City Bridge P90

Thanks again for the great pickup ;-)

Will

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    That looks brilliant ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Hey Ash, Just a quick one to say thanks so much for the Firewatch P90. Put it in my '57 Junior replica yesterday and it's a beauty! A Classic! (I should have specified 'vintage correct' braided wire, my bad, I'll know for next time! :-))
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    edited July 2014 tFB Trader
    If you are ever in this area I will change the cable for you ... no charge ... I always supply two conductor as standard as it can have it's phase reversed to match any other pickup combo

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Is there a difference in sound between the "standard" and "super" versions of the Cow--T-Ron? I'm definitely going to try out some kind of filtertron type pickups at some point and I've got my eye on a set of these…

Also, can the standard version be made without the Gretsch style chrome cover so that it looks more like a regular humbucker?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Sorry missed this!
    The Super has a deeper magnet than the standard (as there is a deeper cover to handle it) so has a touch more bass and is a fraction louder. The Standard fits guitars with shallower routs more easily and can have any cover that  a normal humbucker can have. The Super is limited to the tall, curved top cover. and may be too deep for some shallow bodied guitars.
    Both sound properly 'Gr--ch' like however.

tFB Trader
    On the left we have one of my 'new option' Oil City StoneTone Strat 'staggers' ... on the right is a very new beast indeed! This is from only the third 'evaluation set' ... and yet to be wound. The HUGE 1/4 inch pole pieces may be a giveaway as to the sort of pickup it will be ... but as I hope people have come to expect from OCP: clarity and harmonic content will be the main features ... as well as value for money.

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Hi Ash, hmmm, like the look of that bad boy on the right.  If it had a steel baseplate how far away would it be from a Tele bridge pickup?  Obviously not the same but if you wanted something that was somewhere in the middle of Strat/Tele bridge.....
    tFB Trader

Richardj said:
    Hi Ash, hmmm, like the look of that bad boy on the right.  If it had a steel baseplate how far away would it be from a Tele bridge pickup?  Obviously not the same but if you wanted something that was somewhere in the middle of Strat/Tele bridge.....
    Well of course it wouldn't be sat in a big steel ashtray ... so the sound wouldn't be exact ... but it would get you a fair bit of the way. It certainly would have a more Tele like growl and authority.

• metalemetale Frets: 57
    I ordered a pair of pickups from Oil City Pickups and couldn't be happier.

The guitar in question is this MIM Classic 50s Tele:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/metale/guitarras/2014-08-09 19.42.19_zpsxeqoly85.jpg

Blitz Spirit neck humbucker (slightly overwound), Honky Thonk Angel bridge pickup, tweaked broadcaster wiring.

Sounds amazing for everything from alternative hard rock (think Foo Fighters), passing through Slash leads, to Stones blues rock (pickup setup inspired by Keith Richards).

Also both pickups balance perfectly, as Ash had reasured me. Top notch.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    @TheGuitarWeasel Hi Ash, I recently installed a Firewatch P90 and it's a superb sounding unit, just wondered of you could recommend what tone pot resistance might make it a touch brighter?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    What have you got in there? I designed them for 500k pots and they normally sound pretty balanced with those :-)

• Hey Ash, it's time to get frisky and unLace my strat Plus. I've currently got cued up in my basket neck/mid Stone Tones and Hard Man bridge, thinking this will give me fat strat tones with a more rocking bridge. Is this a good combo? Do I want a baseplate? I had a SD hot rails in the bridge for many years but it was a bit of a blunt object TBH.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    tFB Trader
    I would go that combo ... with a baseplate :-)

• Roger roger, will order tonight, thanks!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Hi Ash, I suppose you've seen my thread about the bargain I got on a Vintage VS6 Junior with a single dogear P-90... well, it needs a new pickup! I'd like something reasonably high-output but not hum-cancelling or anything like that, any ideas?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    tFB Trader
    Well My Firewatch Dog Ear P90 is quite 'Shouty' in a very traditional hooligan alnico 5 sort of way! The sort of pickup that spills you pint and nicks your girlfriend

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Well My Firewatch Dog Ear P90 is quite 'Shouty' in a very traditional hooligan alnico 5 sort of way! The sort of pickup that spills you pint and nicks your girlfriend
    Sounds ideal, how much would one of those be?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."