'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• Hey Ash, I am intrigued by these reflector plates.

What do they do & how do they work?
    Do they actually contact the magnets or do they sit behind them?
    The holes make it look like they contact somehow.

And a total newbie question, what does this style of pickup sound like, subjective description I know, and why does it sound that way?
    Enjoying the thread immensely, and it is helping me narrow down what I want from my next pickups.
    Thanks, Chris

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TheGuitarWeaselTheGuitarWeasel Frets: 3189
    edited September 2013
    Okay, reflector plates or 'inductance plates' as I prefer to call them, sit butted up to the bottop magnets on some single coil pickups...or closely surround the base of the magnet on others. They do not have to make electrical contact with them (in fact on most pickup designs it's better if they don't as it causes grounding issues) bit they must be in very close proximity in the magnetic field.
    Adding ferrous material (iron) within the magnetic field of the pole magnets and within or under the coil increases the inductance of the pickup. Increasing the inductance gives a tiny boost to 'perceived' output power ... but most importantly it shifts the frequency response of the pickup noticeably: fattening up the lower frequencies a little, and making the top end a little more smooth and less 'icepick in the ear'.
    Classically this effect is heard on Telecaster Bridge pickups ... where the plate helps keep the twang down low ... whilst stopping what could be a 'shrill' design (due to it's very tall coils) from making peoples teeth break with the treble :)
    Most Humbuckers have there single magnet way down under the coils ... and transmit the magnetic field to the strings via spindly 3mm pole screws (not much ferrous mass there) and this adds ... along with the high turn count of wire between the two coils ... to the more 'middle' centred ... less focused sound of a classic humbucker.
    The Wide Range (designed by Setrh Lover for Fender) was supposed to do what it said on the tin ... provide a very wide and even coverage of frequencies .... to be clear and sparkling like a single coil ... yet to have a big, fat bass and plenty of  middle like a classic humbucker. To this end the WR has six magnetic pole slugs per coil like a single coil ... that are much larger than standard humbucker ones ... and two coils per pickup ... reverse wound and reverse polarity to be hum cancelling. The effect of the single-pole-per string layout is to give huge clarity and note separation but a slightly wayward treble ... particularly in the bridge position. Add a baseplate or reflector plate, and some of that 'rudeness' is tamed.
    Not everybody likes the original Wide Range sound in truth: it's pretty close to two single coil pickups mounted close together ... huge, fat and without careful handling, even a touch overpowering. But with the right amp and sensitive use of the volume control it really shines. Modern makers have added refinements that Seth Lover never invisioned ... for example my Buccaneers are available with four conductor wiring which gives you an almost Strat-like tone from the bridge pickup when split. Plus in the bridge you have the sheer grunt of an 11k pickup wound with 42awg wire (impossible in a regular sized humbucker) that can push your amp really hard ... and split you have, pretty close to a conventional Tele pickup ... complete with baseplate!
    Also, personally I have reduced the neck pickup output a touch from Fender's original, to make it balance better with the bridge. This has produced wine of the most versatile pickups I make.
    My BrassKnuckle conventional sized humbucker shares a lot of design features with the Buccaneer and Wide Ranges in general ... and is a good option for wanting a similar versatility in a normal regular sized package.
    Hope all that made sense (grin)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Oil City Pickups  ... The Guitar Weasel blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 131
    This has produced wine ...

:D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Oh well ... my Freudian slip's showing :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 128

Hi Ash - mailed you re a Hendrix / Timmons  sounding  neck HB for a Jem 7V ...

• JMP220478 said:

Hi Ash - mailed you re a Hendrix / Timmons  sounding  neck HB for a Jem 7V ...

Mailed back at ya :) You've got me thinking ...

edited October 2013
    The biggest changes to my line up of pickups yet is about to happen: I've been in development for months ... and now the first of the new humbuckers is ready to be unveiled. My aim is to have one of the most comprehensive ranges of humbucking pickups outside the big guys. So Joining my Blitz Spirit PAF style lower output units ... my Scrapyard Dog, and Scrapysrd Dog Plus ranges ... my alnico 4 NightFighters ... are the new V range of high output buckers.
    From the 15k ceramic magnet V1 ... through the classic 17k alnico 5 V2 ... to the alnico 8 and Ceramic alternatives of the awesome 20k V3 ... there will be something for all those who like to rock out a bit more.
    As you can see, some V's feature magnum sized hexagonal poles ... others will feature the choice of  retro, seventies DiMarzio style, hexagonal slugs or conventional slotted poles and slugs. Magnet choices will range from conventional alnico 5 and ceramic ... to alnico 8/ceramic 8 hybrids and my special super sized 1/4 inch thick alnico 5 bar.

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 320
    Looking good, Ash. :)
  • Oh my.  

STOP MAKING ME MAKE DECISIONS

I'll be messaging you when I've got the guitar.  I think an alnico monster or maybe a hybrid one for the bridge, and something a bit different for the neck - a p90 maybe, or... Something else you fancy trying.  I have faith.

They look great, though, and must sound the balls.
  • The Hybrid ceramic 8/alnico 8 is waiting for the delivery of some special custom magnets from the US lol  ...
    I'd better not tell you about the prototype 20+k Tony Iommi style P90 prototype on my bench then ...

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1116
    edited October 2013
    Did somebody say P90 ? - that's mad Ash, just mad    :)>-

P.S.  it might just affect the gravitational pull of the earth too...

TheGuitarWeasel said:       (edited down heavily from the detailed reply above, Chris)
    Okay, reflector plates or 'inductance plates'...
    Adding ferrous material (iron) within the magnetic field...
    Classically this effect is heard on Telecaster Bridge pickups...
    The Wide Range (designed by Setrh Lover for Fender) was supposed to do what it said on the tin...
    My BrassKnuckle conventional sized humbucker shares a lot of design features with the Buccaneer and Wide Ranges in general ... and is a good option for wanting a similar versatility in a normal regular sized package.
    Thanks for the detailed reply, yes that did make sense to me, a very good explanation, and much appreciated.

I take it that the Buccaneer is actually a larger pickup than would fit in a standard HB route?
    I was thinking about the Brass Knuckle while I was reading through your reply, I do like the idea of these, and the sound clips of both on your site sound very convincing.

• TheGuitarWeasel said:       (edited down heavily from the detailed reply above, Chris)
    Okay, reflector plates or 'inductance plates'...
    Adding ferrous material (iron) within the magnetic field...
    Classically this effect is heard on Telecaster Bridge pickups...
    The Wide Range (designed by Setrh Lover for Fender) was supposed to do what it said on the tin...
    Thanks for the detailed reply, yes that did make sense to me, a very good explanation, and much appreciated.

I take it that the Buccaneer is actually a larger pickup than would fit in a standard HB route?
    I was thinking about the Brass Knuckle while I was reading through your reply, I do like the idea of these, and the sound clips of both on your site sound very convincing.
    Yup ... quite a bit larger actually ... they were really a one off design:)

• Mr Weasel!
    A request for you... Do you do relic'd pickups? Im looking for a lowish output zebra humbucker that looks like the cat ate his dinner off it...
    I know most people will throw their eyes up but.... ;)

Cheers...
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • I can indeed do relic work ... if you want suitably nadgered pole screws etc it may take a couple of weeks to get what you want looking right. If you PM me with the sort of look you want and the type of sound you want I'll happily quote :)

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 1622
    Hi Ash,

Sorry for the slight thread derail but I have a quick question for you if you don't mind ?

I don't know if you recall but earlier this year I bought a Strat set off of you to put into a Partscaster I was building,
    It was 2, Triple Blues Neck & Mid with Cream covers & a Stone Tone with a Black cover in the bridge position.
    Anyway as it transpires I'm now buying a guitar already loaded with Oil City's (Stone Tone neck & Mid & Hardman Bridge) so I've sold my set on to @monquixote. Now he's looking to buy some pickup covers for them and was wondering whether the bridge pickup is 52mm spaced.

I said I didn't know but would ask you ?

• DrBob said:
    Hi Ash,

Sorry for the slight thread derail but I have a quick question for you if you don't mind ?

I don't know if you recall but earlier this year I bought a Strat set off of you to put into a Partscaster I was building,
    It was 2, Triple Blues Neck & Mid with Cream covers & a Stone Tone with a Black cover in the bridge position.
    Anyway as it transpires I'm now buying a guitar already loaded with Oil City's (Stone Tone neck & Mid & Hardman Bridge) so I've sold my set on to @monquixote. Now he's looking to buy some pickup covers for them and was wondering whether the bridge pickup is 52mm spaced.

I said I didn't know but would ask you ?

They are all three of the 52mm persuasion :)

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 1622
    Superb, thanks for taking the time to answer that Ash !
  • Hi Ash,
    Ill send you a pm..
    Thanks a lot ;)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    edited October 2013

Here's the next in the high output series ... this is the bridge version of the the 17k alnico 5 V2. Soon available as seven string too.

Think a 'JB' with a more organic sound ... and huge wedding tackle. I do these with 'mini hex' poles, or with V1 style poles, or conventional slug and screw combos ... in the following bobbin colours.
    Ninja zebra (both black)
    Zebra (black and cream)
    Confused zebra (reversed zebra)
    Dirty snow zebra (both cream)
    And soon: invisible zebra (transparent bobbins so you can see my lovely winding technique :) )

Oh, and shy zebra is available too nearly forgot ... that's nickel covered, standard poles.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 320
    ... in the following bobbin colours.
    Ninja zebra (both black)
    Zebra (black and cream)
    Confused zebra (reversed zebra)
    Dirty snow zebra (both cream)
    And soon: invisible zebra (transparent bobbins so you can see my lovely winding technique :) )

Oh, and shy zebra is available too nearly forgot ... that's nickel covered, standard poles.
  • I presume you know that Ibanez already do a range of pickups called V1, V2, etc...? Does it matter?
    My band: Hedge Gods
    edited October 2013
    Far Eastern rubbish :) they can kiss my made in England butt
    I presume you know that Ibanez already do a range of pickups called V1, V2, etc...? Does it matter?

edited October 2013
    Nice one Ash, very purposeful looking pickup that V2, always loved the look of hex bolts, more hi tech look (and less likely to shred your plec too)

Love the Zebra fetish too, that is way cool

• Great and classic as they may be,  fillister headed screws are a pain to put in, mash easily, and can allow your tool to slip (ooooer missus) and damage the pickup or your guitar's finish.
    The hex headed machine screws in the V1 are of a similar mass to standard slot head pole screws ... so are like double screw coils. Whereas the threaded 5mm slugs on the V2 are more like a double slug coils. Of course if you want you can have a 'slug and screw' setup ... but where both are adjustable.

• Far Eastern rubbish :) they can kiss my made in England butt

Can't argue with any part of that sentence! :)

• For future reference, would you or could you make covered humbuckers with twin rows of hex bolts as per this? I dig that look.
  • For future reference, would you or could you make covered humbuckers with twin rows of hex bolts as per this? I dig that look.
    I'm having troubles finding trem spaced (52mm) covers in nickel for this but I can (or will be able) to do 50mm spaced shortly ... I also have the trick of doing 'camo' covers.

• Cooooooool!
  • Wait, wait, wait...

Transparent bobbins? Is this for real? Because that could be way cool!