'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Great and well deserved feedback :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Fitted the A2/4 Mighty Ninety to the Badger and liking it a lot. It replaced a BKP Mule and has a similar thickness and output, but with more single coil sparkle and top end. Highly recommended!

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    So now it sounds as good as it looks. :)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9982
    tFB Trader

juansolo said:
    Fitted the A2/4 Mighty Ninety to the Badger and liking it a lot. It replaced a BKP Mule and has a similar thickness and output, but with more single coil sparkle and top end. Highly recommended!

Glad you like it ... got one in neck position my Artcore 'Ivory' Semi ... and use it all the time :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    tFB Trader
    A bit of an update 
    After much playing decided that the Scrapyard Dog was just a little more Oomph than I wanted for this guitar , and realising that the Blitz spirit I have in the neck is actually a bridge version with an 8.45k ohm wind & an A4 magnet swapped it over and stuck a BKP mule (7.2 A4) back in the neck for now.
    The bridge position mule I have is a bit weaker at only 8.2k (or just under depending on temperature in the room)
    So trying out the Blitz Spirit compared to the Scrapyard Dog  now and first impressions are this is more what I want  for this guitar 
    Played clean it's a bit sweeter and with a bit more zing which is nice and with gain it's more what I'm after - still tough and meaty but with a little more finesse - less of a blunt instrument.

The fun continues...

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Tomorrow morning your fun should increase ... as you should get five more Oil city pickups ... special Delivery :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    tFB Trader
    Tomorrow morning your fun should increase ... as you should get five more Oil city pickups ... special Delivery :)
    great........more fun!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Just played first gig with my new Mighty 90 in my Melody Maker....fantastic sound and cleans up really well. Will post pictures when I get the chance. Cheers Ash
    tFB Trader
    Yay! Glad you like it :)

• Ianb62Ianb62 Frets: 22
    Probably been asked before but...which of your pickups is best suited to a vintage sounding esquire? Cheers Ian
    tFB Trader
    Just for a purely 'vintage' tone ... probably my HonkyTonk Angel. 9k and 43awg wire ...like early Broadcasters, also fitted with low-string-pull alnico 2 magnets.
    I now do the 'Wapping Wharf' which is an 'Angel' with a tap facility ... giving standard 9k plus 15k outputs (rig up a push pull volume/switch). That pickup also benefits from a hybrid magnet structure: alnico 2 for the top three strings, and alnico 5 for the bottom three ... to preserve loads of tele twang, even on the higher output.
    My old standby is my Diesel tap: a 42awg wound tapped single coil ... this gives you a 6.5k 'sixties' Tele sound ... plus a pumped up 9k full output.
    My own favorite? The 'Angel' ...

• Ianb62Ianb62 Frets: 22
    Just for a purely 'vintage' tone ... probably my HonkyTonk Angel. 9k and 43awg wire ...like early Broadcasters, also fitted with low-string-pull alnico 2 magnets.
    I now do the 'Wapping Wharf' which is an 'Angel' with a tap facility ... giving standard 9k plus 15k outputs (rig up a push pull volume/switch). That pickup also benefits from a hybrid magnet structure: alnico 2 for the top three strings, and alnico 5 for the bottom three ... to preserve loads of tele twang, even on the higher output.
    My old standby is my Diesel tap: a 42awg wound tapped single coil ... this gives you a 6.5k 'sixties' Tele sound ... plus a pumped up 9k full output.
    My own favorite? The 'Angel' ...

Sounds like the Angel is the one - I will head over to your site forthwith!

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Package from Oil City just arrived at the office - one bridge Firewatch P90 destined for my LP '50s tribute. Hopefully will have time to install it tomorrow eve, very excited to try it out!
    I had time last night before jamming with my drummer, and the verdict was immediate. It's a great pickup - the difference between it and the stock Gibson bridge pickup was exactly as Ash described: Clearer with better string separation. It's much more defined and I think I'm going to enjoy gigging the guitar a lot more now!

Here ends my two pennies. :)
    tFB Trader
    Glad you like your pickup :)

• PM incoming @theguitarweasel...
  • Just ordered a set of Scrapyard Dog Plus for my new SG.

Looking forward to checking em' out :)!
    tFB Trader

raulduke said:
    Just ordered a set of Scrapyard Dog Plus for my new SG.

Looking forward to checking em' out :)!
    Yay ... they are progressing nicely and will be dispatched shortly :)
    Always nice to get a 'hi' from a customer ...

edited February 2014
    I'm eyeing up the Scrapyard Dogs actually - I've had SD alnico 2 Pros in my Explorer for the last 5 years, I like the output level and slight give they have when digging in hard but I'm thinking a bit more clarity might be nice, having heard how well my amp takes the Firewatch P90 - the Explorer suddenly sounds a little murky in comparison!

• Just my thoughts, Ash is a top bloke.  Despite being so busy, he's always been more than happy to help and he's currently working on a bit of a project for me at the moment which (as far as I know) no other pickup make has a solution for.  

I'll also be getting a pair of his honky tonk angels, which should make my poor attempts at doing a partscaster sound much better than my skills at putting the thing together :)

Oh, and his Cow-T-Ron has to be heard to be believed.  Such a great sounding pickup.