Tone control for Mexi Cabronita

Anyone added one & if so how'd you go about it? Mine is crying out for one but dear old Fender haven't left enough room to add another pot...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You could use a push-pull pot to cut the treble, or maybe fit a concentric pot with vol & tone controls?

I find concentric pots fiddly myself and would go with a preset treble cut.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Two ways of doing it - either a 2nd pot (needs another hole) or a stacked pot (doesn't need another hole).  What's in the control chamber?
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited August 2013
    Third way, enlarge the cavity? May be a bit invasive tho.
    Third way, enlarge the cavity? May be a bit invasive tho.
    Looking at this  

...if that is what Guitarcookie1's looks like, there appears to be enough room for a tone pot where the 3-way presently is and a les paul style 3-way at the back without having to enlarge it?
    What do you think?
  • Third way, enlarge the cavity? May be a bit invasive tho.
    Looking at this  

...if that is what Guitarcookie1's looks like, there appears to be enough room for a tone pot where the 3-way presently is and a les paul style 3-way at the back without having to enlarge it?
    What do you think?

That's it, not really enough room to squeeze a switch in at the back without enlarging the cavity.
    In that case, I would go for concentric tone and volume stacked.  This is one I fitted to a home-built tribute to the Warwick Thumb Bass - works a treat!

• Use a mini toggle for selector and use holes for volume and tone pots.

Or use push push volume and tone in each hole to turn pickup on or off, that way not modifying the guitar body at all. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    edited September 2013
    Do you ever use the volume control except as a mute between songs? If not, use a push-pull pot as a tone control with 'pull' as the mute.

If you need both, a dual concentric pot is the way to go. You can definitely get them with Tele knobs, Fender use them on some of their piezo-pickup Teles.

I like koneguitarist's suggestion of two push-push pots as well, but I'd go with one to select pickups and the other to combine them, otherwise there's a risk of turning both off at the same time... usually as you launch into your big solo :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein