Gorm Pedal board

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
So I have decided that I'm going to build my own Ikea Gorm pedalboard. Hopefully it'll fit into my Kinsman pedal board case, if not I have just come across this, which looks like a good, cheap option: http://www.thomann.de/gr/thomann_effect_pedal_bag.htm

There are many tutorials online as to how to build a Gorm board but I was wondering if anyone who has done so has got any tips i.e. what height rubber feet to use, what angle to have it set etc etc
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

I got some feet from pedalstuff.com, along with cable ties and spiral wrap and other bits 'n bobs. But I'm sure Fleabay has zillions of similar too. Ikea don't post those kits and I'll be fecked if I'm ever facing the desolation and despair of waiting to get into an Ikea car park ever again, but found Homebase does similar kits in 80x40, cheap too. Reckon there's enough for two boards in the one kit.

I got some pine from a local yard to make the pieces for the boards to sit on. Battens? Dunno what to call 'em. And made mine two-tier, but on one end it's low all the way up so a wah can fit there.

Power pack lives under the higher tier held on with that super-grippy not-Velcro stuff. Dual-Lock, I think it's called? (Also needed that for Whammy and HT Dual because Velcro wasn't man enough for their weight).

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    Here's mine:

That was actually the remains of an old futon that my neighbour was chucking out. I'll be honest...I didn't really put much thought into it. I just worked out what I needed in terms of space on top, had a guess at the angle (four stacks of pennies under a flat board then measured them) and spent 15 minutes cutting and drilling. Slap some paint on it then stick the velcro on, and job done.

I ended up buying some screw-in feet for it from the local hardware store the next day, probably about 15mm diameter.
    <space for hire>
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    I bought the shelf. Painted it black. Added velcro & rubber feet. Done!
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited June 2014
    Piece of cake buy the 5 slat shelf then add a kitchen cupboard door from the bargain corner. You are in for £10 Cut the 5 slat shelf into a 3 section and a 2 section. Chop up the kitchen door for your front edge which creates a perfect natural angle and a neat clean front for your board. Then Screw a couple of bolts which are already predrilled in the shelf add 2 coats of your favourite paint 5 strips of Velcro and you have 2 pedal boards of different sizes in about 3 hours which owe you £30 including 5m of dual lock Velcro. The larger board fits 2 rows of pedals and the smaller board easily takes 9 pedals. You will also get the fantastic feeling that you are better than the large multinational pedal train company ! Good luck! Ps add 4 feet off eBay for 2 quid. With the money saved you can mount a nice Cioks underneath
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038

There are many tutorials online as to how to build a Gorm board but I was wondering if anyone who has done so has got any tips i.e. what height rubber feet to use, what angle to have it set etc etc
    Got a nice angle on mine with a couple of plastic shelf brackets.  Just screwed some rubber feet onto each corner.  Didn't really have to think too much about angles... you just sort of decide what's right for you.  I might even take a pic tomorrow if I remember.
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Grunfeld said:
     I might even take a pic tomorrow if I remember.
    Thanks that'd be great to see.
    I've just been on the Ikea website and it looks like they no longer sell the Gorm shelf  2 pack- only the freestanding shelf unit. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    @lincolnblue

Here's the cut down shelf brackets used to angle the board up.

Bugger about no more Gorm 2 pack.  Glad I didn't chuck the other one!

and obligatory "what's on it" pic :-)

Looks good. I just rang Ikea and they are discontinuing the Gorm shelf 2 pack. My nearest store have some left so I'm going to hope I can get some before it's too late.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    edited June 2014

Here's mine, just freshly rebuilt last night:

This is just the shelf, with no alterations. Painted black, added velcro:image

Fits perfectly into my Spider Flightcaseimage

Stuck a spare piece of wood underneath the back edge to give it a slight angle - this is great as it's not premanent 

Just enough room underneath for all the cables, and saving space on top of the board by moving things underneath....image

Finished (for now!)imageimage

Well I managed to convince the wife that a trip to IKEA was a good idea. Came home with one of the last Form shelves
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    This might be the first time ever that a man has had to convince a woman to go to Ikea... ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    juansolo said:
    This might be the first time ever that a man has had to convince a woman to go to Ikea... ;)
    Ha! Usually she'd jump at the chance - but to go just so I could buy a shelf?! Took a bit moer work but she gave in and ended up buying a load of things anyway so we're both happy!
    What did you all use as a case for it? Mine isn't going to fit in my Kinsman case
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    Nice work. How are you going to protect it when you're gigging?
    Thanks. I need to find a case for it. 
    I think a Pedaltrain 2 soft case might fit it. The problem I'm finding is the height of the board due to the end slat (which give the angle). With pedals I need about 6" and lots of cases aren't big enough. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    That's always a problem. I built one just for home as I was fed up of pedals and cables kicking around all over the place. I'm not sure I could ever take it to a gig in its current condition!

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2433
    It's almost impossible to go wrong with building a GORM board, just get some of the shelving and one of the end planks, they come with all the bolts you need. All you need to do then is paint it, get some sticky backed loop velcro, and some rubber feet which any decent hardware shop should stock.

The end planks have handy pre-drilled  holes in them too which you can put cable ties through
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!