Build thread - carved top LP

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    DiscoStu said:
    I didn't think you are going to pull off the carve going by some of the earlier pics. 
    There were times that I wondered ... it's a bit scary attacking the top of a nice piece of wood with sharp tools.  But it's the only way to find out if you can do it or not.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180

Tony, that's going to look lovely.

Another plug for Bailey Guitars from me - I've built two, but if you want an idea of what can be done if you're willing to spend the time (and money):

This was made in 30 days over 18 months (scrape, scrape, scrape) by someone who went on to do a rather handsome LP-a-like.

You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420

Tony, that's going to look lovely.

Another plug for Bailey Guitars from me - I've built two, but if you want an idea of what can be done if you're willing to spend the time (and money):

This was made in 30 days over 18 months (scrape, scrape, scrape) by someone who went on to do a rather handsome LP-a-like.

Not something I'd usually be interested in but that looks really nice.

^^

@Archtop_Dave is on here somewhere. 

I remember him standing in the corner (not the naughty corner, more like the carving corner) when I did one of my BYOG courses.  We were all there making guitars, and made one each over the course of the week.  Meantime, Dave was making sawdust ... scrape, scrape, scrape ... but was emerged from the pile of sawdust became the back of the guitar that's in the pic above. 

That man has patience, and his work is beyond stunning.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    TTony said:

^^

@Archtop_Dave is on here somewhere. 

I remember him standing in the corner (not the naughty corner, more like the carving corner) when I did one of my BYOG courses.  We were all there making guitars, and made one each over the course of the week.  Meantime, Dave was making sawdust ... scrape, scrape, scrape ... but was emerged from the pile of sawdust became the back of the guitar that's in the pic above. 

That man has patience, and his work is beyond stunning.

This is how I got the nickname "Archtop Dave". I'll own up to having patience, and the ability to make expensive sawdust. It became a bit of a standing joke that I'd be scraping away whilst the rest of the people on the courses made whole guitars.

Just to remind Tony, this is how a Les Paul should look!

:)
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Gets a "wow" from me!

IIRC, yours is a pretty accurate, period-correct, reproduction of a specific model, including the carve?  As well as being a beautiful instrument in its own right of course.

(mine will be more an interpretation, or in a shape reminiscent of ...)

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    edited August 2013
    I love this thread! I so want to build a guitar from scratch. Where can I get details about courses?

EDIT: found the courses. As I guessed, unfortunately way beyond the amount of money I will ever have to spare! However, if my premium bonds win me something decent ....
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    axisus said:
    I love this thread! I so want to build a guitar from scratch. Where can I get details about courses?

PM me if you want any more details that you don't want to ask about here!

Although, be warned, I will just tell you that it's a totally amazing experience and that you have to do it.

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    That carve is an awesome piece of work :)
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    This thread is awesome. I've been gradually scrolling down, itching to see how that gorgeous wood cap is going turn out! Can't wait for the next instalment!

This thread is awesome. I've been gradually scrolling down, itching to see how that gorgeous wood cap is going turn out! Can't wait for the next instalment!
    Cheers Chilli.

I need to give myself a bit of a kick up the whereabouts.  Done hardly any guitar building in the last few weeks ... :(

Did get a forum built though :D
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    You can't rush things like this, and the end result will be worth the wait even for impatient buggers like me!

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    I believe the longer you sit and look at a job ... within reason ... the less chances of a Foxtrot Uniform Charley Kilo up! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    edited August 2013
    TTony said:

Fantastic! That top has a nice Aria/Westbury/almost Rickenbacker/Mosrite 'German carve' look to it, although with slightly softer edges. Very nice indeed.

My only criticism would be that the carve needs to extend right round to the neck on the upper bout, even if only as a very shallow one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• That carve is an awesome piece of work :)
    It is too. I'm planning a carved maple top for my next project. I can only hope it turns out so well. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    I had an Aria 'Gerry Cott' signature years and years ago that was much like that ... wish I still had it.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message