Les Paul Juniors

What's Hot
badlydrawnbanjobadlydrawnbanjo Frets: 855
edited June 2014 in Guitar
I don't half fancy one, single cut, P90. Thoughts on VOS, vintage, BJA, copies etc... What are people playing and any idea of used values would be appreciated (not much happening eBay to judge prices)?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    They're all good, just wish I could find the right one for me. :-S
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I had a '57 VOS 2TSB. It rocked. Currently being rocked by a dude in Belgium. Rhythm (50/50 lead) player's delight, lead player's cock rash. Lead players don't understand. Leslie West did. Replaced with a replica DC '58 TV. Still irritates the lead guitarist as it's so flamin' good.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    A friend of mine is a selling an original '58 in very good, almost all-original condition (changed volume pot) with original case.

He's looking for over £4K for it depending on shipping etc. PM me if you're seriously interested.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    BDB

There's a beaut of a 74 in Chandlers for £1400.

Also, if the budget is less, the Tokai SEB (sonic enhanced body) is actually waaaay better IMO than the Gibbo's.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    I have a PRS SE One..........great guitar and excellent VFM
    ICBM said:
    A friend of mine is a selling an original '58 in very good, almost all-original condition (changed volume pot) with original case.

He's looking for over £4K for it depending on shipping etc. PM me if you're seriously interested.

Don't suppose you're in a gratuitous post pics frame of fettle?
    jd0272 said:
    I'll ask if he can send me some.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I'd love one but it'd have to TV yellow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

A bit rich for me! I'll have the proceeds of my Ric 360 when (and if) it goes. Hopefully got someone coming up this weekend to view it...
  • bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    Gassage said:
    BDB

There's a beaut of a 74 in Chandlers for £1400.

Also, if the budget is less, the Tokai SEB (sonic enhanced body) is actually waaaay better IMO than the Gibbo's.
    sonic enhanced body? @gassage

tell me more...
    ICBM said:
    jd0272 said:
    I'll ask if he can send me some.

Nah don't bother the fella. I know it'll be v nice. I don't think the price is too out for a piece of guitar niceness that's genuine as opposed to what G charge for CS models anyhoo.
    jd0272 said:
    Nah don't bother the fella. I know it'll be v nice. I don't think the price is too out for a piece of guitar niceness that's genuine as opposed to what G charge for CS models anyhoo.
    It is very nice, I've played it a few times. I did briefly think about buying it, but I can't justify tying up that much money in a one-pickup guitar, no matter how good, and even though I think it will be a reasonable investment in the long term. I'd have to sell most of my other stuff to afford it anyway.

If only it was that '56 Custom I turned down in '99 for £4k… :(

ICBM said:
    jd0272 said:
    It is very nice, I've played it a few times. I did briefly think about buying it, but I can't justify tying up that much money in a one-pickup guitar, no matter how good, and even though I think it will be a reasonable investment in the long term. I'd have to sell most of my other stuff to afford it anyway.

If only it was that '56 Custom I turned down in '99 for £4k… :(

That'd sting a bit nowadays.

I can say that taking a balanced look at the proposition, aye, I would if I could get away with it (she would slaughter me) 'cause you can't get them anymore. Well not for sometime really, 1958-1960. And it's not too much of the folding when all things are considered. They might only be a one pickup 'fancy', but By The Gods!!!
    jd0272 said:
    That'd sting a bit nowadays.
    Yes, although having to insure a roughly £20K guitar would sting a bit too! As well as not really wanting to take it to the average bar gig.

Still the best electric guitar I've ever played though.

edited June 2014
    Hear what you're saying. But if I'd have got that back then for that money, then yeah I'd gig it. I'm of a mind that that is what they're for. 

Don't mean to sound nonchalant, but they're bitsa of wood and stuff that can be fixed by talented fixy-folk, and won't get nicked if one plans/acts appropriately.
    edited June 2014
    If Gibbons loaned me Pearly Gates, It'd be out on the Fri night to the Bute Arms or wherever getting thrashed!

Not sure I'd tell him tho.
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    I've got a VOS 57 reissue in TV Yellow, neck like a baseball bat, phenomenal guitar for rhythm or lead. You just have to actually work the volume and tone controls.
    Single channel Soldano HR50 and the Junior can still provide some cracking tonal variations.

VOS 57s are at least a grand secondhand, I did see one on ebay go for £1300.
    I've seen Standard Juniors being punted for around £600 but they didn't cost that much new, I'd expect to pay £400-£500.
    Vintage (pre-1970) start around £1900 and can go up to 5k+ easily.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3312
    I had a BJA, and I found it to be the best non CS one. I *think* I sold it for about £800 earlier this year. The Price difference over the normal one is really worth it.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    Except the BJA has a slim neck...   :-S
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    AlexHunter said:

I've seen Standard Juniors being punted for around £600 but they didn't cost that much new, I'd expect to pay £400-£500.

I just picked up a 2009 faded white with ebony fingerboard on ebay for a tad under £400.
    Nice size neck - not massive but not thin, which I understand the last models were before they were discontinued.
    I want to put a set of Tone Pros locking studs on but apart from that no mod plans.
    I cannot for the life of me understand Gibson discontinuing the Jr in favour of the LPJ - Juniors are awesome!