Les Paul Custom '54 RI... how much are they worth/what would you do?

What's Hot
JadedJaded Frets: 127
Somewhat related to an earlier thread of mine (about the 50's Tributes). I've played a few LP's of late and am thinking of going the Historic route as the USA models I've played just lacked something. 

So now I'm (kind of) set on getting a Historic re-issue of some sort. preferably a '54 Custom - the Alnico V and P-90 combo just appeals to me so much more than humbuckers. However this would mean selling most of my gear... two of my Jaguars, the Bronco and maybe some pedals and a bit of scrimping and saving etc... think it would be worth it? 

Anybody have experience with them, know the going rate or even if they still come with those "fretless wonder" frets?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    £2.5k +? Ish? Love one. Was one on Japanese site guitarsofa. May still be there. Not many around.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    edited June 2014
    I sometimes think about this too, because of the original '56 I could have bought in 1999 if only I had realised then that one great guitar is better than several good ones...

A friend of mine had one of the reissues a couple of years ago. From memory it had normal size frets. But it also had a stupidly big clubby neck, what Gibson call the "50s" profile - but which is not like any 50s Gibson (including the real '56 Custom) I've played. I didn't find it comfortable at all.

Soundwise it wasn't bad but didn't have the character of the old one - just not as vibrant or resonant. I'm not sure I would pay what they seem to sell for - or at least, not for that one, it's likely that they vary. It was also quite heavy - I like heavy guitars normally, but it just seemed like a bit of a dead weight... and that was before he had me put a Bigsby on it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31573
    Jaded said:
     the USA models I've played just lacked something. 
    I think you need to try to quantify this "something" before you spend thousands of pounds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I echo @ICBM. The best electric guitar I have ever played was a (genuine vintage) '54 Gold Top - a different guitar from a Custom but still an old Les Paul with single-coil pick-ups. The neck was big - yet comfortable - it's tone was fantastic. One of those guitars which somehow flatters everything you play.

I've never really liked Les Pauls but this guitar was remarkable.

Every time I see a Historic version, I give it a go in the hope I will find one which has the same magic.

So far I haven't played one that is anywhere near....
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited June 2014
    Main problem is that there are not that many of these around. You will find one but finding a great one is another matter. I am not even sure that Gibson are making one at the moment (ebony problems?). I remember wondering on LPF or MLPF what would be the average weight of a Custom made from Fijian Mahogany now that 8.2 lbs is common for mahogany + maple cap? An 8.9 lb Alnico Custom would be an interesting proposition.

So......Sorry I am not being very helpful but I would widen the search to look at all Historic Les Pauls, both Humbuckers and P90 GTs, and make finding a great guitar the only priority. Once you have done that you have a lot of pickup options.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I've never played one much as I'd love the privilege, so I can't give any direct comment.

I just wanted to let you know thoufh that there's a lovely episode of the Doug and Pat show on Youtube where they do a head to head on two 50's LPC's, an earlier fretless wonder and the later 3 HB version.

Plenty of useful background ibfo as you'd expect and a fun vid.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    AFAIK Gibson aren't using the same mahogany that they used in the 50s.  That is all gone in any kind of commercial quantities.

There is also the much debated topic of the effect of aging on the wood.

Whether it is the quality of the wood in the first place, or the effect of aging there does seem to be something about a great old one.  Personally I think that it's probably a combination of both.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I agree with the 'every guitar is unique' approach and you must play a lot to discover a good one.

In addition to the old wood was better and guitars that have been played settle in theory, can I proffer the theory that the old thin finishes just harden better/differently over time. The modern H&S prevent use of the exact same methods of spraying in the factory (for the sake of the workers this is definitely a good thing). Also what I like you might not and vice versa.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    i'd buy one and you know if you really don't like it that it will sell for reasonable money used.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3325
    They are rare on used market. I do keep an eye out...
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Stick a WTB in the US Classifieds section on  My Les Paul forum. You'll get a bite if you don't sweat the shipping and customs costs.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Jaded said:
    Somewhat related to an earlier thread of mine (about the 50's Tributes). I've played a few LP's of late and am thinking of going the Historic route as the USA models I've played just lacked something. 

So now I'm (kind of) set on getting a Historic re-issue of some sort. preferably a '54 Custom - the Alnico V and P-90 combo just appeals to me so much more than humbuckers. However this would mean selling most of my gear... two of my Jaguars, the Bronco and maybe some pedals and a bit of scrimping and saving etc... think it would be worth it? 

Anybody have experience with them, know the going rate or even if they still come with those "fretless wonder" frets?
    Jaguars for sale eh?

What have you got :-)

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    You may enlighten me :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    Yeah, I'm game, especially having acquired two in the last month or so.
  • stonevibe;259903" said:
    i'd buy one and you know if you really don't like it that it will sell for reasonable money used.
    I think this is true because you may well be better looking in the USA daves guitars or similar have a great rep and will do a reasonable honest hands on description for you

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    I heard idle talk of Jaguars....
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Interested in hearing about the bronco /vulture
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, been away a few days. I'll probably be selling my burgundy mist MIJ and the Cobain signature. The Bronco I may be selling to a friend but if he's not interested you'll see it in a FS thread soon

:D