Pick or fingers?

What's Hot
DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 334
like it says in the title really. I am playing bass guitar again after a great many years and am currently doing a bit of both before I get closer to deciding what music I'm going to play and how. Fingers seem the preferred default option but then I think about the magic created by Paul M and Carol K and the pick has its attractions ...any comments/views out there...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Learn both and then decide.
    It is such a personal thing and you won't know until you suck it and see.
  • I'd play bass with my fingers by preference but I also like to keep my nails just long enough to fingerpick a guitar, and playing bass with my fingers tears the nails apart. So I use a Jazz-III pick. 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited September 2013
    I fingerpick with no nail, mostly flesh- hybrid style and play bass with fingers. OP- see what I mean, it is highly personal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Learn both and play whichever gives the most appropriate sound for the song you're currently playing. Both equally valid and useful techniques that have a different tonal character to one another.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    ^That.

I flit between them, and I find it very useful to be able to do both.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17571
    tFB Trader
    I do both. 

Some songs don't sound right or are really hard to play if you don't use the right one so it's a must have skill to do both if you are in a covers band. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    edited September 2013
    I'd like to be able to play with a pick since some of my favourite bass sounds were done with them, but (as with guitar) I find it awkward and always end up with just fingers. I can get a reasonable approximation of the sound if I attack the string hard with a bit of nail involved, it's close enough.

Bridge pickup and a bit more treble and mid on the amp helps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Can't get on with plecs on a bass. I use fingers, appalling slap technique, and 'chucking', which is the weird thing where you play as with a plectrum .... but without one.
  • Both.

I like to use really thick---3mm---plectrums on bass. Anything else is just wrong. 
    axisus said:
    Can't get on with plecs on a bass. I use fingers, appalling slap technique, and 'chucking', which is the weird thing where you play as with a plectrum .... but without one.
    That perfectly describes how I play bass as well :). Never seen it called that before...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    In an ideal world you'd do whichever worked for the song's arrangement. There's a quality to the attack with a pick that you just can't get with fingers, a definition in the upper mids that pushes the bass forward in the mix.

In practice, you want the bass player to be as comfortable as possible so they perform well so you go with whatever works.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    just fingers... increasingly this way with guitar too..
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • As others, both, depending on the song.

Don't agree with the thick pick though, I prefer about 1mm, same as I use on guitar.

I tried a load, but I find a thicker pick harder work.
  • Both, depending on what the song demands; my major influences (Duff, Lynott, Freeman) tend to use picks, but I'd not want to do anything fretless or with a more 'soulful' sound with one. And you simply can't get a good Iron Maiden-esque 'gallop' with a pick. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    ICBM said:
    axisus said:
    That perfectly describes how I play bass as well :). Never seen it called that before...
    I only heard the name a couple of years ago in an article about Bernard Edward's bass playing. I didn't realise that anyone else did it! I play guitar like that as well.
    axisus said:
    I only heard the name a couple of years ago in an article about Bernard Edward's bass playing. I didn't realise that anyone else did it! I play guitar like that as well.
    Same here.

Anything I do being mentioned in the same breath as Bernard Edwards is rather impressive... :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BTW, I forgot to say thank you to everyone for your contributions, so thank you. David
  • I massively prefer fingers and I'm much more competent that way, but some tunes do need a pick. But I'm crap with one. And I never seem to have any.
  • MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    I use both.  But I am much better with a pick as I am converted guitar player and bass finger styles are very different to guitar ones.

SO I try to force myself to use my fingers more and more.  Each one has it's tonal variations and advantages.
  • RamirezRamirez Frets: 11
    About equal between fingers, thumb (not slap though - I just can't) and a pick (brass) here.
    Not the model boy of the village