Orange bass stuff - comparison video

RamirezRamirez Frets: 11
I've just uploaded a video comparing 12AX7 and 12AT7 valves in a Terror Bass head, as well as comparing the Terror to the AD200B model in Amplitube.

When I say 'comparing', I mean playing them back to back, and when I say 'video', I mean an audio track with three different pictures and some text, done very badly!

I haven'tspentmuch timeon any aspect of this, but I thought I'd post in case it's of interest to anyone.

Here you go:

Aled
Not the model boy of the village
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    First thing that struck me was that the amplitube version was very accurate!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    Not sure I can hear a difference between the AX7 and AT7 with the flatwounds.

Very nice sound either way though - very Jamerson.

I might want a Terror bass head now! :D
  • RamirezRamirez Frets: 11
    edited June 2014
    @fretmeister Aye, I struggle to hear much of a difference between the valves - the stock V1 valve may have been abnormally low gain anyway, as my Terror doesn't get anywhere near the same levels of distortion that others seem to get.

I'm going for a Jamerson/Duck Dunn thing, that's true, and more of a Carol Kaye thing with the pick - I kept the EQ the same for all the clips, but really the Terror sound better with the bass boosted a bit further and the mids almost off for the pick sound. I prefer the mic'd up cab for pick as well, I think.
    It didn't feature in the video, but I use a Zoom B3 for a bit of (much needed I think!) boost at around 4kHz (especially nice fingerstyle) and some slight compression.

Listening back, I think I'd cut the bass a bit if doing a proper recording. I really like the Terror though - I had it on sale and was using the B3 for the bulk of my sound, but now I'm keeping it!

@funkyfraz - it is quite close isn't it. Though it's not a model of the Terror itself, apparently the Terror and AD200B shares the same preamp.
    I keep listening to it.

And used Terror bass heads seem to go quite cheap.....

Mmmm!
    edited June 2014
    @fretmeister

What've you got for a swap?! ;)

Only joking. I think...

If you want some clips of anything specific, I might be able to - it'll have to be with P/flats, J/rounds, Bass VI or EB0/nylons though, and a Zoom B3 for anything extra.

ha ha!

I'm not getting rid of my amps! I have a couple of Genz Benz heads and I love them both. But more options are always good to have! I also have one of the rare Ampeg SVP-BSP preamps, but I haven't bought a poweramp for it yet.

You already cracked the sound I wanted to hear with the flats on the P bass. Lovely, thick and plummy.

I'm imagining that with a bit more bass roll-off and a little bit more mids and a bit of foam under the strings, that would get really close to an upright bass sound - or at least as close as a guitar is going to get anyway.
  • Not so much difference on the flatwounds, but on the roundwounds I prefer the 12AX7.  

Cool bass amp! Not too pricey used, either.
    They are quite reasonable second hand - I'm looking for a second cab of the same type for live use. I've kept the stock valves in for the time being.