Anyone had singing lessons?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
in Live tFB Trader
I used to sing backing vocals in a rock covers band back in 2010-2012. I had never really sung before, but I was the only one that volunteered. Initially it was all shouting "London Calling" in Clash songs, but eventually I got vaguely OK at it if never especially good and I enjoyed it as it was much more of a challenge than playing the basslines to most indie songs.

Since leaving the band I haven't really sung at all in 18 months (I'm not even someone who sings in the shower/car) as the band I was in since 2013 had a couple of people who could do three part harmonies with the lead vocalist and so it didn't seem like it was worth my while trying to contribute anything. 

So now I'm in a new band and again I'm the only one that's prepared to sing backup, but the problem is the material is much more challenging (soul), the singer is awesome and isn't really known for her patience so I'm a bit intimidated (yes I'm lame enough to be intimidated by a girl ten years younger than me), so long story short I'm thinking about having a few singing lessons.

Anyone done it, and if so was it a great help?

For some reason I think I'll feel like a bit of a prick doing it though I'm not sure why. 

Also any recommendations for soul/pop vocal coach in Suffolk would be much appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    I had singing lessons for a bit, didn't really help me, due to lack of practicing the techniques. I didn't feel a twat whilst I was there, but limited the practicing of scales and exercises etc.. to the car as I felt like a bit of an idiot doing them in the flat I lived in at the time (you have to go for it). I'd recommend it if you're prepared to put the effort in after :)
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I am taking lessons at the moment and I cant recommend it enough. 
    I used to be a backing singer much like yourself and I went from shouting to being alright.
    Turns out I was singing falsetto and my voice was much deeper and a shit tonne louder. 

I wouldn't feel worried about lessons. You have to learn from the mistakes and just sing like no one is listening. A good teacher will correct you as you go and help you get control over your voice. 

You will need to be patient with yourself. Getting you technique right is very foreign to start with and can make playing the guitar a bit trickier when you are doing both etc

But go for it. Nothing ventured and all that
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    we sent the singer in my old band for singing lessons and it improved him massively, mostly on stamina and consistency rather than pitch.

I bet there are a ton of youtube singing lessons that can give you an idea of the sort of stuff they'll have you doing, obviously it's not like getting direct feedback on your voice, but it should give you an idea of the basic techniques and how much of a tit you feel doing them in your car :)

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited July 2014

I think a friend of a friend is a singing coach. I'll try and get hold of her if'you're interested?

Edit, scrub that, I've just spoken to Mental Bird, her friend doesn't do the teaching.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

My wife is a singing coach.  Before I met her I used to tear the shit out of my voice.  Now I can sing easier, better and with far less fallout from the strain. 

It is embarrassing at first but it's like going to the doctors with a lump on your balls.  It's their job to help and they'll have seen far worse before.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I've just booked one.

Wish me luck!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725

GOOD LUCK!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited July 2014

My wife is a singing coach. 

Mine too. She's teaches vowel placement, support, stamina and above all, how to protect your voice. A good teacher will show you how and when to use your head and chest voice and how to blend them. They'll assess your range and over time, you might even be able to increase it. You'll learn how to pitch harmonies too and most backing vocalists can sing 3rds. Personally, I find 5ths are a lot harder.
    She's certainly helped me with the little instruction I've allowed her to give me but that's my problem, stupidity and pride ;)

Good luck and it's worthwhile thing and adds another string to your Gretsch!

Good luck. 

Just remember to ask them to warm their hands before having a feel.

EDIT:  I think I may have confused reality with analogy.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I just had my second lesson on monday night.

I'd be interested to compare how the lessons go, my teacher seems to have lots of students and has been doing it for a lot of years but i expected a lot more from each session.   

So far she has talked (a lot!) about the need for technique (despite my pleas that i get it and that why i'm there),  and we've run through some scales while she talks about holding my breath while singing to get me away from using my throat.   I'll give her another couple of goes but I'm running out of ways to explain that i want practical techniques i can practise not theory. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    you shouldn't hold your breath whilst singing. You need the air to push the sound out.

Interesting method...

I think teaching relies a lot on how well you get on with your teacher. If you have a communication break down and its not sinking in, sometimes its better to move on
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23968
    A good singing teacher is an awesome thing.

Breath control is vital and is often counter-intuitive. If your teacher can teach you that and how to protect the vocal chords then you'll be way ahead of most other people who pick up a mic
    John_P said:
    ......but i expected a lot more from each session.   

So far she has talked (a lot!).....
    I reckon she fancies you.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Well worth doing, if only to find your natural range.

I did AmDram years ago, and the choir master made us all do singing tests - I found out I was naturally a tenor, not a baritone.  Which was nice .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback