EsquireAS, sort of

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26926
edited June 2014 in Guitar
The recent "What mods have you done and regretted" thread I got to thinking about my black Tele. And then I said "fuck it" got the tools out. And now I have an modern-bridged-Esquire with a hole in the scratchplate :D

Still think it wants a rosewood-board neck and some kind of clever wiring but feels right at the moment. Anyone want to buy a Bigsby that's spent a year living in Abu Dhabi?

PS - anyone know any good Esquire switching options?

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    edited June 2014
    Ah, now it's proper, you see? Loads of wiring options on't interweb. Best if yer handy with the iron tho. You wanna get that hole fixed before you lose stuff down it too!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26926
    Yeah - I'll have a google on the wiring. Not much you can do with one untapped pickup though. Various cap/cocked way type stuff I guess. 

Christ knows where I'll get a new guard and any wiring I don't have in parts box out here though. I think there's a guy in the far end of Dubai somewhere. This might be a good time to make a visit :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    The stock Esquire wiring scheme (vol only/vol and tone/vol and preset bass) is surprisingly good, although you might want to adjust the cap values to make it sound less muddy. If you really don't like the preset bass, try bypass/vol only/vol and tone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
    Mine is wired complete bypass, then through vol and tone, then the Eldred mod. You can tweak the resistor and cap values on Eldred mod to suit.
    Clean it sounds pretty naff, but through a TS type pedal, welcome to LP territory !
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers, Kone. I've done a fair bit of reading while watching the F1 and it sounds like your wiring is exactly what I'll try. Will have a look what caps I have in stock :)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    matte black single ply Esquire plate on that would look evil cool !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    That's what's on mine. :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    Just done the "Eldred", as below. It's great! Tone knob now feels a bit too dark when all the way down which I hadn't noticed before. So that'll get a smaller cap or bigger pot (of course I think of that and realise I didn't check the cap value *after* I've put it back together)

Anyway, thanks for suggestions. Esquires are awesome. Now to find a rosewood neck from somewhere that'll ship to the middle east..!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Tone knob now feels a bit too dark when all the way down which I hadn't noticed before. So that'll get a smaller cap or bigger pot (of course I think of that and realise I didn't check the cap value *after* I've put it back together)
    Smaller cap. The pot value makes no difference when it's all the way down ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Cheers :)