I dunno why I like it... (Les Paul content)

What's Hot
OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
Saw one of these for the first time yesterday. $4k (Australian). 

I don't know why I like it. There's just something kinda magical about it, it's just so damn retro. Maybe that's why? Check it! The Les Paul Recording model:

imageIt really made me think about stuff like the Dusk Tiger... now I kinda see where they got some of their design influences from. It's just a really interesting guitar to look at, and like I said, not really sure why I like it but it has that real retro vibe to it and I would definitely be keen to try one!!
Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    My friend's dad has got one of these. He fucking loves it.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    EdGrip;261739" said:
    My friend's dad has got one of these. He fucking loves it.
    'kin does he? 'kin really 'kin pleased for the f*ck3r....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    Sorry but that is just truely horrible.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6901
    edited June 2014
    I really like the look of these fuckers. Bit effing pricey though...

About £1800 for the reissue over here if I recall.

EDIT: Google confirms £2k and there's not many about.

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/gibson-les-paul-recording-ii-electric-guitar
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I'd imagine it's hugely versatile.

But YAK.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    If you like them they're great. Not like a '59 Standard, just different.

I still don't know why Gibson have reissued them though - despite their commercial failure, originals are not *that* rare, and not that expensive. I'm not totally sure the electrics on the reissues are quite right either, but I could be wrong on that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6901
    edited June 2014
    You could definitely argue a case for this one being a better buy:

https://reverb.com/item/157925-gibson-les-paul-recording-1978-walnut
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    there was definitely a time when every guitar shop had one lurking about unloved and unsold. Somewhere up the back, just by the Orange cabs they couldn't get rid of...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    there was definitely a time when every guitar shop had one lurking about unloved and unsold. Somewhere up the back, just by the Orange cabs they couldn't get rid of...
    And the drawer full of MXR and Electro-Harmonix pedals with those old-fashioned click switches no-one wants.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I notice everyone has criticised what it looks like, I'll join in with criticising that fugly lump of scrap metal with Bigsby written on it.

However I also notice that nobody is asking wossit sound like or wossit feel like to play.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Wossit sound like and wossit feel like to play?

Anyone?
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Good question @hubobulous...

I am not too sure about the re-issues, it looks like both they, and the later 70s originals, have a normal Les Paul body.  The early ones, including the LP Personal and Professional models have a slightly larger body and a more rounded horn on the lower bout.  The late 70s ones also changed the control layout with 4 pots in line above the switching, the reissues look more like the original layout with the pots following the curve of the lower bout and the switching above.

I think ICBM is right that the electrics are different, not sure about those pickups either, Gibson says "a pair of brand new pickups pay tribute to the originals" so a very different animal is my guess.

I don't get the need for a Bigsby either, just going after the retro market I guess.

The neck on the reissues is 60s, not sure what the profile is like on the originals, but they will have a volute, and late 60s Gibsons tended to have slightly narrower necks, so that's a question for the experts.

Sound is really varied on the originals, but low impedance so be sure you understand the pros and cons if seriously considering an original one.

@johnnyurq is a good person to ask about these, I think he knows pretty much everything there is to know about the originals.  (so no pressure then Johnny ! )

OI! @ChrisMusic That was MY question!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    edited June 2014
    At me most 'umble, me apologises....

Yes, I did realise, but I was amused by the questions secondment, and in it's entirety too.   :)

Still a good question though, @Phil_aka_Pip  (original author).

At me most 'umble, me apologises....

Yes, I did realise, but I was amused by the questions secondment, and in it's entirety too.   :)

Still a good question though, @Phil_aka_Pip  (original author).
    No worries mate :)

can't listen to that clip at work, wait till I get home this evening
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    If you watch the televised Les Paul sessions of Les at the Iridium club, you will note his guitar of choice was usually the LP recording. Indeed even way back in the early 70s he would publicly endorse the low impedance PUs and on board electic switching options over the old fashioned High impedance PUs we all know and purport to love.
    Whilst other famous players have also used them from time to time, they remain a minority sport.

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    If I remember correctly, the guitar was optimised for going straight into a desk, when people did that sort of thing. I wouldn't be surprised, therefore, if Gibson chose to make new pickups with normal amp-playing guitarists in mind, voiced to cop whatever was nice about the originals.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Sorry but that is just truely horrible.

^ This.

Sorry .

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I like the look of it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom