Heinous Crime

What's Hot

So, its my first build, Jooky Tele body, Oil City pickups various other nice pieces picked up along the way.

Finally get time this weekend to put things together. Jooky sourced me a really nice neck and with the Kluson style tuners to fit I get started. Measure the screws, tape the drill bit, use a hand drill for safety and control ( have you guessed where this is going yet?).

Feeling so confident I drill all the holes, screw the tuners on and look on proud at my craftmanship, then turned the neck over.

In the words of Homer....DOH!

2 of the drill holes have gone through.

My wife even heard my groans and came in to see what pained me. When I explained and showed her my absolute balls up she sweetly said, and I quote 'well the wood will be able to breathe'. I didn't know whether to laugh, cry or hit her with a heavy blunt object.

So, with these 2 'air' holes on the front of the headstock, any ideas for repair without stripping it right back?

Your help for an idiot gratefully appreciated.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Fill them and finish the headstock to match the body, or a nice veneer over the face?  

Sorry, that was a bit obvious, it's still early!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Use it as an opportunity - strip back the finish on the front, buy a nice veneer (flamed maple, sycamore, ebony?) and put that one.  There is someone here who's very good with veneers, but cannot remember who.  I hope they chip in!
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Strip, dowel fill the holes, refinish.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Sites for the making of dolls houses and such are a great place to find wee radii dowel.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    Thanks for your ideas. The holes really are tiny and rather than take the tuners off, and more of an issue getting the ferrules out, to be able to veneer it, I'm thinking of some kind of stained filler to try and match the headstock finish. Anybody tried wax filler?
  • Removing ferrules is easier than you think - you just want a soldering iron. Hold it on for a few seconds, and it expands the metal. Then let it cool and it'll drop out with just a little prod from the other side :)

No experience with fillers, but if it's ebony faced I know ebony dust and glue (not sure on types) works well as a filler type thing :)
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 984
    Add more holes and a picture of a mouse...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I think I'm the guy referred to above ref the veneers but, unless it is really bugging you, I would be tempted to just fill, dab on a bit of varnish and polish up.  I've produced some great headstocks with veneer, but generally to match a body...in most cases I am no purist as long as it plays OK
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Make a feature of them, definitely!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited June 2014
    I did a similar thing with a cheaper bitsa. Only, I went through 4 times. Filled the holes with wood filler, and got on with my day..

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Thanks for the ideas, I used some light mahogany filler and one of my daughters nail varnish's to fill them up.

I'm going to give it another rub down over the weekend and then its job done. Ash's pick ups sound superb, can't compliment them enough.

I'm pleased as a first attempt and will definately try others.

I'll try and get some picks up over the weekend.

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    If you want the headstock to match the body, send it along and I'll cover up the holes paint it accordingly :)

JookyChap said:
    If you want the headstock to match the body, send it along and I'll cover up the holes paint it accordingly :)
    Thanks Mark, you're a gent. I'm happy with it at the moment but will keep that in mind.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    If the holes are tiny I'd just dab some glue then rub saw dust over it. Light sand it when dry.