3 chord trick

VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15484
This is really embarrassing, but does anyone have a link to something that explains the 3 chord trick? i.e. what chords go with each other. I used to know all this, but it's not just physical skill you lose when you stop playing.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7772
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

The easy one is the standard Blues progression 1-4-5 chords.

with the root note of the 1 chord on the low E, the root of the 4 chord will be at the same fret on the A string, the root of the 5 chord is 2 frets up from the 4 chord.

Sorry if that badly explained.

Or to find the chords in a major scale, the formula is

major (root)

minor (up 2 frets)

minor (up 2 frets)

major (up 1 fret)

major (up 2 frets)

minor (up 2 frets)

diminished (up 2 frets)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15484
    that's it Paul, thanks.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17597
    tFB Trader
    I wrote a thing for Easy Ear Training on basic chord sequences which might be of interest. 

http://www.easyeartraining.com/learn/four-chords-and-the-truth/
  • 'Tis more than just blues. The I IV V chords can harmonise all the notes in the major scale. Some scale notes appear in more than one chord, eg the Tonic is the Root of the I chord and the 5th of the IV chord.

I often use Blowin' in the wind as a f'rinstance. Dylan's original used C,F,G - I IV and V. Peter Paul & Mary's version used A-, and, IIRC D- as well being the vi and ii chords. There's a way to work the iii chord in as well. While you can "expand" the chord set of a tune that uses I IV V, you could also "simplify" a tune that uses more than I IV V and turn it into a 3-chord trick for those with a restricted chord vocabulary. This is often done in beginner's songbooks.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself