Skatecaster

What's Hot
SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/charvel-desolation-skatecaster-sk-3-st-flat-black/97478

I really like this.

It's almost a Gibson but with a Fender vibe.

At £150 I think I am asking too many questions.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    edited June 2014
    I preferred the surfcaster which was basically "if Rickenbacker made Jazzmasters (with a bit of a Danelectro vibe)".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    At 150 quid you can´t really go far wrong.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Evilmags said:
    At 150 quid you can´t really go far wrong.
    I'd say the opposite. At £150 new there can't be any real quality in the components or the assembly. Even in that pic you can see that the strings are badly misaligned on the neck. OK, they won't all be the same as that but it doesn't bode well.

It looks like a Surfcaster with anything that was remotely cool about it removed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    There is a Chapman ML1 in the classified for £200, that's where my money would go and find that £50 somewhere. 
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

It started off at £322, so it must have something going for it. :/

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    SNAKEBITE said:

It started off at £322, so it must have something going for it.

Ah, that's not so bad. I thought it was a £150 guitar, ie about unknown-brand Strat copy quality level given that it's a bit more upmarket.

Still concerned about the misaligned neck though. Mahogany bolt-ons just aren't a very good idea in my opinion - it's not a hard enough wood to really take being directly screwed to, especially if it's the sort of far-eastern 'mahogany' substitute it probably is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks for the tip off.

I'm not sure I'll get it, I'm saving towards something else, but when these come along it's hard to know what to do!

• MarkGAKMarkGAK Frets: 118
    Hello!

To clear up any confusion, these are a £300+ guitar that has now been discontinued. We bought up the last remaining stock, so are able to offer them at a crazy price. I played one a couple of days ago and am sorely tempted to get one. They are bolt-on, and super snappy, but with some fairly decent humbuckers to beef things up.
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    @MarkGAK can I ask a silly question, please? Do you have a section on your website for this sort of super-bargain? I can see you've got B-stock, ex-demo, s/h and so on, but I can't see any sort of 'clearance' (or WHY) category that someone could browse.

Dan
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

I chanced upon these in the advert in Total Guitar and was immediately interested.

For me, and this is just me, the deal breaker was no trem.

Now I know the upmarket version has a trem, but the whole focus for me was the £150 price tag.

At no point did I want to knock it, I'm still really tempted but I also really want the Squire Cabronita and cannot get both.

dchwhite said:
    @MarkGAK can I ask a silly question, please? Do you have a section on your website for this sort of super-bargain? I can see you've got B-stock, ex-demo, s/h and so on, but I can't see any sort of 'clearance' (or WHY) category that someone could browse.

Dan
    Hi Dan. Your best bet would be to sign up for the weekly MegaDeal Mailout. All of our super cheap deals, limited stock and competitions are published here first. You can sign up at the bottom of the homepage: http://www.gak.co.uk/
    Might also be worth checking out the podcast each week, as we often talk about deals that have emerged during the course of the week: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/gak.co.uk-guitar-shop-podcast/id644855937?mt=2&ign-mpt=uo=4